Shuckle -- The Great Debate.

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Schlupi, Apr 18, 2011.

?

In competitive play, can Shuckle be used effectively on a team?

1. HELL YEAH! I'll tell you how.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. HELL NO. His attack, special attack, and speed are too garbage. CRUNCH! I'll add em' to the heap.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe. Depends on the setup. I'll tell you how it can work.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Apr 18, 2011

Shuckle -- The Great Debate. by Schlupi at 3:12 AM (3,996 Views / 0 Likes) 34 replies

1. Schlupi
    OP

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    Hello, Gbatemp, I have an interesting question for all of you.

Can the Pokemon Shuckle be used efficiently in competitive play in Pokemon Black and White?

[​IMG]

I considered his PoisonRest moveset, which would be:

Toxic
    Encore
    Rest
    Protect

(Sturdy) Holding Leftovers with his EVs maxed out in DEF (252) and HP (252). Alternatively his HP EVs can go to SP DEF or be split between the two. In this setup he can just toxic a Pokemon until the die, with proper prediction he can time it so a move which can be useless gives him prime opportunity to rest. This is a classic Shuckle stratagy I find hard to beat. Also to help him out, I would have a sandstorm set up prior to his entry so he get's his SP DEF boost on top of that.

Wrap
    Toxic
    Mud Slap
    Rest

(Sturdy) Holding Chesto Berry with his EVs maxed in DEF and HP, set up with Sandstorm. Here I would just spam Mudslap after wrapping and Toxic so they can't escape and their accuracy will fall to BS levels. Rest, rinse, repeat.

I was trying to find the best way to use Shuckle with that new Dream World ability, Contrary. it makes it so all stat changes work in reverse... so if his DEF is lowered, it actually goes up instead, etc. Any ideas? Maybe use Power Split to cut the opponent's attack (and drop my own, but does not matter because I wouldn't really be attacking).

What are some other useful ways to use Power Split with Shuckle?

I would like to hear Gbatemp's thoughts on the matter. the people at Smogon etc. are all douches. I really would like to use Shuckle (he has always been one of my favorites) and I want some advice.

2. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    His defense is godly high, his attack is low.
    What's that move that switches those stats? I can't remember the move, but it works like a dream with Shuckle.

3. Schlupi
    OP

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States

That would be Power Trick. =)

The issue that leaves is his DEF becomes SO LOW, that he can be OHKOed by just about any smart player. I guess if I time Encore and Power Prick it can be useful with an Earthquake...

Another possibility, substitute... is it worth using? How could it be used efficiently for this little guy?

4. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Mudslap spam sucks hairy balls. You're gonna get lotsa hate for that, heh. But yeah, i prefer that second moveset, simply because it's so annoying.

5. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    The effectiveness of that power trick tactic would vary upon the type of battle. single, double, or triple.

6. Lemski07

Newcomer Lemski07 Advanced Member

Philippines
    I remember the 2nd move set that you mention almost 10 yrs ago which appeared in pokemon crystal battle tower

I remembered that my 3 lv50 pokemon was no match (trashed) for that pokemon and that move set ( I dont know that Iv's & EV's that time exists & multiple same type skills)

and I remembered that because of that experience my outlook of pokemon was never been the same [​IMG]

one of the oldest move set that pawned unknowing victims

7. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Power Trick - Gets amazing power, just remember to use within a sandstorm due to the fact that it works best because of the Sp.Def boost, and trick room would help.

Power Split - Works well for crippling sweepers really easily, and letting Shuckle attack a bit in a situation that requires him to. Great in Trick Room too.

Toxic - Of course, the lovable toxic stall. Simply wrap, toxic, and with sandstorm up, it'll die in a while.

Overall, due to the offensive nature of the game, it can't handle as many Pokemon as it used to but it still works very well especially due to the common appearance of SS.

Also, Smogon has members that are very knowledgeable with the competitive aspect of the game. I wouldn't shun it since it has very useful information.

8. Clydefrosch

Member Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    it can work, but its somewhat predictable and has terrible hp

imagine it loosing 25 in both def stats and getting them added to hp
    that would be awesome

9. shadowmanwkp

Member shadowmanwkp Your roms are on another rom site

Netherlands
    If they allow it, you can use double team to annoy the hell out of your opponent. Just max out evasion and then use rest when on low hp or attack when your opponent misses the whole time. Sadly, they usually don't like status lowering attacks at online competitions, because people think it is just unnecessary stalling.

Oh yeah, Sho Minamimoto approves your poll [​IMG]

10. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    No he just fails

11. KingdomBlade

Philippines
    Well, your style is hyper offense. (I think)

12. T-Pie

Newcomer T-Pie Member

United Kingdom
    yeah he can be used very well competitively, it just depends whether the opponent anticipates the new dreamworld ability, i have one and he does well with similar moveset to that XD

it 'aint always about the offense

13. Shockwind

Member Shockwind GBATemp's Official The Last of Us Fan

Philippines
    Shuckle's defense is high, his attack is low, and has a low hp. Hmm... I'll vote that as maybe. [​IMG]

14. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Yeah, it's a big maybe but with a good moveset(like the ones posted in the OP), IT OWNS!
    And Shiny shuckle looks cool too!

15. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    yeah your right i love Ho and Heavy offense
    never use these crap stall pokemon.. people that play stall dont deserve to play.. its just so cheap

Protect
    Toxic
    Recover
    Rest

it drives me crazy

16. T-Pie

Newcomer T-Pie Member

United Kingdom
    there are worse annoyers, but just trying to sweep through teams won't work competitively for long

17. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    Um stall and defensive times are kinda fail in gen v
    tehy just dont work this gen

a

18. KingdomBlade

Philippines
    Don't agree. Any strategy that's not against the normal rules (I.E. Double Team/Minimize) is legal. The player just has to be able to know how to counter them. I've found that weather stalling (especially Rain and Sand) works excellently in this gen. Rain has Toxicroak, Ludicolo and the notoriously useful Parasect, while sand has Shuckle, Hippowdon, and plenty of other Pokemon that can use sand as a means of cripling opposing sweepers. Of course, you can also use the classic Hail stall and bust out Walrein, or use the difficult but rewarding if you use it right, Sun Stall.

I tried Parasect under rain, beat a team 6-0.

19. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    but but its just so boring.. how can you enjoy playing that way i mean look at this shit
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

makes me wanna cry

20. KingdomBlade

Philippines
    <!--quoteo(post=3597801:date=Apr 18 2011, 08:26 PM:name=Rockstar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rockstar @ Apr 18 2011, 08:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3597801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but but its just so boring.. how can you enjoy playing that way i mean look at this shit
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

makes me wanna cry<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I consider that unbelievably funny. It actually looks fun, but that was a pure coincidence that two stall Pokemon had to face each other. XD