Suggestion Should we ban religious / LGBT / political threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMageKefka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This started as a status message, but it sparked some interesting discussion, so at the advice of someone on my status, I made a thread to see what everyone else thinks.

Now, its not my place to decide the rules of this site, nor am I the kind of person to usually censor what people talk about. However, I am seeing more and more of these threads every day, and its getting out of hand. They always, without fail, devolve into bigotry and arguing. With this being a video game website, and these sorts of threads causing so much drama, maybe it would be for the best?

An example I would like to give is the thread from the other day about the Afghanistan bombing. After several pages it devolved into several people saying how gays should be executed. The thread was deleted shortly after. My question is, why aren't those people being punished and having their comments deleted? Why was the entire thread removed? Some of that conversation was legit discussion. I have a feeling the staff here is tired of the crap too (please correct me if I am wrong).

So what do you all think? I don't wanna censor people really, but at the same time I think it would make the site a more friendly, enjoyable experience for everyone. Maybe another option would be to create a separate forum for this stuff, so at least it doesn't appear on the front page? Please, let me know how you all feel too.

EDIT: At this point, after discussing this for so many hours, my opinion on the matter is that outright banning this sort of thing is not the answer. I do, however, feel that off-topic discussions of this nature don't belong on the front page of a gaming / hacking forum. A lot of people are tired of seeing it and it just plain makes us looks bad as a community when 4 out of the 10 topics on the front page are off-topic shit shows of bigotry and hate. This is obviously not too often the case, but it does seem to be happening more frequently.

Last edited by MadMageKefka,

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that's called the "Report" button ;P

But yes, as I already said in the previous thread (twice!), these kind of things don't really belong in a forum like GBAtemp, especially once they go full off-topic and just completely derail into insults.
Until the whole situation calms down a bit, I'd suggest banning them.
What off topic topics are allowed on this sight? I'm not the biggest recluse in the world, but I don't talk to many people. I have no social media except here (if you would call it that). In some circumstances, it is fun to discuss certain topics.

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Warn them and if they refuse to change it, ban them.
It really is that simple.
This shouldn't even be a discussion.
There are certain things that are simply outside of the scope of tolerance and acceptance.
So um...
Not allowed to have a photo of any animal or anything that is animal related (Like pokemon) that is SFW.
Ok. Totally not intolerance at its finest.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Then shouldn't we start asking what is wrong with the staff here?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No. Even tolerance has to have limits.
Not EVERYTHING is acceptable.
No, you just want to push an agenda. Huge difference.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what do you all think? I don't wanna censor people really, but at thw same time I think it would make the site a more friendly, enjoyable experience,for everyone.

No, it won't, people will just find other ways to get into shitposting, there's been examples of it happening that is not exclusive to politics, religion, LGBT. In fact there was that Facebook Killer thread that out of nowhere went into religion crap, so you can't stop a neverending virus, it's the internet. I will say it feels like it's getting worse here, I'm immediately unwatching blogs and and threads as opposed to giving time to them.

At this point, the best solution isn't obtainable through the staff, it's obtainable through yourself, and that solution is just step away and let the people have these arguments, while you're whistling away. And then the staff can stop it, preferably earlier than usual.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I believe that's called the "Report" button ;P

But yes, as I already said in the previous thread (twice!), these kind of things don't really belong in a forum like GBAtemp, especially once they go full off-topic and just completely derail into insults.
Until the whole situation calms down a bit, I'd suggest banning them.
Really banning them doesn't fix the issue. Does this mean I think we need these kinds of thread? Hell no, they bring out the worst in people, but I don't see how outright banning them fixes the problem. Given the idea of banning religious threads, this would also include threads like Christmas threads. Christmas is inherently religious and not practiced by all members, this including members like myself (of course I don't flaming these threads because a sensible person.) Thus it would only make sense to not allow that thread as well. I hope you understand my point, which is that it's shortsighted to just outright ban something without thinking about the future reproductions.
Honestly I would go back to my previous suggestion to bring back the Moderator Group. We need a bigger staff to handle our growing membership. The staff is overworked and threads end up devolving into these kinds of messes.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They never end well, so not sure why not. Opinions never change and everyone gets angry. Let's stick to gaming, something we can all agree on.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. Even tolerance has to have limits.
Not EVERYTHING is acceptable.
Things change mah man. Take same sex marriage as an example. It has/is becoming a social norm. Now while i have my own feelings about same sex marriage (that i will absolutely keep to my self, cuz respect), people can't deny that it is becoming more acceptable. As for furries, i don't like them but as long as they are not NSFW and intrusive, let them keep their dang profile pictures

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's not like anyone is making you read it. There are all kinds of off-topic threads and they have their own section.

It's a dick move to the mods expecting them to constantly police every passing remark, and when they fail to police every remark it turns in to "Hey they started it I have a right to respond to them bad mouthing issue A". And they do...

How are we supposed to discuss tech legislation/usage laws without it drifting in to politics?

Tron-Gate, Gamer-Gate, Pewdie-Gate these all overlapped gaming and politics.

Have a problem with off-topics, don't read them. Not interested in LGBT stuff, don't read it. Not interested in politics, don't read it.

Less modding is more modding.

Last edited by jimbo13,
Reactions: Xiphiidae

MadMageKefka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it won't, people will just find other ways to get into shitposting, there's been examples of it happening that is not exclusive to politics, religion, LGBT. In fact there was that Facebook Killer thread that out of nowhere went into religion crap, so you can't stop a neverending virus, it's the internet. I will say it feels like it's getting worse here, I'm immediately unwatching blogs and and threads as opposed to giving time to them.

At this point, the best solution isn't obtainable through the staff, it's obtainable through yourself, and that solution is just step away and let the people have these arguments, while you're whistling away. And then the staff can stop it, preferably earlier than usual.
I can't deny that you're right, we cant stop shitposting completely, but I think not having these topics would reduce it a lot. Its very easy for people to get out of hand when discussing topics like this. The kind of people that post this kind of crap off topic like in both my and your example are going to do it one way or the other. I don't feel that holds true for everyone involved in controversial threads. I think that sort of topic just instigates things.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly I would go back to my previous suggestion to bring back the Moderator Group. We need a bigger staff to handle our growing membership. The staff is overworked and threads end up devolving into these kinds of messes.

You don't want to know the amount of times me and Vinny have been bickering about that.

Imho, threads that are purely focused on religious or political debate shouldn't be allowed on this forum.
It's fine to post threads about presidential elections and what not but the former will just end up in a flame fest anyway.

Reactions: VinsCool

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to name people that actually posted in this thread.
I am sorry, i find that so disgustingly vile. So far and BEYOND anything socially acceptable or in the realm of mentally healthy.
Humans should not be attracted to animals. Drawn or not.
what we're interested in our private lives is of no business to you. nobody here would want to do things to real animals. I suggest you take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm personally not a fan of banning these subjects. Interesting discussions COULD come from it. However, many members have shown that they're not mature enough to discuss these quite heavy subjects. Shitposting, memes, spiderman, and all out flame wars... it's getting annoying.

But I'm all for giving our members a chance to behave and discuss, and stop it when they've gone too far.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
idk, i feel like its nice for people to be able to talk about more than just games, in a world that's getting more and more obsessed with stifling conversation, sure this is a gaming site, but just because we all have a common interest doesn't mean we are all completely devoid of any other opinions on any other topics

that said it might be an idea to maybe add a "volatile"/ "opinionated" section and have people post there is they want to share their love for furries or political alignments, then only people who aren't easily offended should go in there.....kind of like EoF but without all the spammy stuff (or at least spammy stuff of a different variety)

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: CuriousTommy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel