Hacking Should i upgrade my firmware?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Yazoo1990
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 1,484
  • Replies Replies 12

Yazoo1990

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Jul 31, 2012
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Trophies
0
XP
11
Country
I hacked my wii about 2/3 years ago and i haven't played it since
Just booted it up and im running Ver. 4.1E
Got the homebrew channel and neogamma. If i wanted to run some new games do i have to update the firmware or upgrade the channels?
How would i do it also
I remember i tried running NSMB and i would get a blank screen don't know why though.

Cheers in advance
 
I recommend you use ModMii to update/install the latest recommended IOS and cIOS files. System Menu 4.1 was the last one to do anything that wasn't just homebrew-prevention, so ModMii will not upgrade that since it's unnecessary and not recommended.

The reason backups of newer games might not be working is because of outdated cIOS files or your loader. ModMii will update your cIOS files, and you should probably use the latest version of NeoGamma R9 if you're still using disc backups. It should also be noted that most people have moved on to USB loader for running Wii and GameCube backups.

As for retail discs, you will need to install Priiloader in order to block disc updates that would stub your cIOS files. The instructions are in ModMii as well.

It is also recommended that you update your Homebrew Channel if you haven't already done so.
 
Hi there,

You're in luck: 4.1E was the last firmware version that actually had an actual improvement. 4.2 and 4.3 contained nothing that can't be updated otherwise.

Upgrading the channels isn't that hard: for the homebrew channel, check out this link if you're not on version 1.1.0 already. For neogamma, this link gets you the latest stuff.

However...just having the latest channels won't be enough. To actually run games, you need the proper IOS and cIOS. Those can be gotten with a PC program called modmii (the program can fetch pretty much anything, btw).

It may be important to tell how you play games like NSMBW. By retail disk, backup disc or from USB drive?
 
I am still on 4.0 U from 3 years ago. Everything works fine for me.
But then again im using CFG loader.
 
Thanks for the replies Lacius and Wever
Yeah i use backup disks, but i didn't even know you could use USBs now.

How would i upgrade I've forgotten everything, I think i used to put everything on a SD and install it. But im not sure where my Wii SD card is, i think i might of lost it. Can you do it via USB now
 
I often wonder what homebrew breaks when updating the Wii to 4.3, I have mine on that firmware and everything seems to work just fine.

Edit:


Thanks for the replies Lacius and Wever
Yeah i use backup disks, but i didn't even know you could use USBs now.

How would i upgrade I've forgotten everything, I think i used to put everything on a SD and install it. But im not sure where my Wii SD card is, i think i might of lost it. Can you do it via USB now

I think you can get away with no SD card but I can tell you that having even just a 1GB card can make things much more fun :) (I use a 4GB card and keep all the emulators I use on that.)
 
I often wonder what homebrew breaks when updating the Wii to 4.3, I have mine on that firmware and everything seems to work just fine.
If you have your Homebrew Channel and whatnot up-to-date, then they will work. However, 4.2 and 4.3 do things like unnecessarily overwrite bootmii, improve region checks (which can cause bricks), etc.There is no reason to update passed 4.1.
 
Updated my homebrew channel but im not sure how to install the neogamma beta. Is that a drag and drop to the SD card?
Also im clueless about the IOS and cIOS files. Don't know how to upgrade them?
 
Question about modwii

I've entered all the settings and it's gave me a folder
Do I just copy and paste everything on my SD?
And should I delete all my old files off my SD?
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted