Should I take Astronomy as a high school course?

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it helps, this is what the description of the Astronomy course is in my Curriculum Guide

Astronomy presents a study of both the solar and stellar systems. Topics studied include examination of the properties of the planets, the moon, the sun, comets, meteors, stars, and galaxies. Theories on the origin of the universe and development of the field of astronomy also are examined.

And this is my Astronomy teacher

http://www.hehs.d211.org/people/lohs/

Check under his Astronomy section. Now should I take it?

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Astronomy is not just observing space. You also calculate the distance between stars (and maybe their partner star also). In a solar system, you would calculate each individual planet's distance from each other as well as their distance from their sun.

You calculate how long it would take for a certain white dwarf star to become a black dwarf. You would calculate the differences of white dwarfs' revolutions, and find an average. You would observe how they illuminate, and when the light is closest to earth. IIRC, white dwarfs are like light house beacons, that is only part of the actual star illuminates (very brightly).

Not to mention you would calculate the size of stars, planets, quasars, galaxies, and all that interesting stuff.

Additionally, you would learn about constellations, the black hole theory (which I believe has already been proven), and the reason why we don't have any black dwarfs yet. You would learn how old the universe is. All that interesting stuff plus more!

Of course, you would be taking a much simpler high school class. You would have a given formula of the size of Betelgeuse or something and you'd have to calculate how many earths can fit inside (one million if I can remember. I'm too lazy to Google search.).

Of course, I'm only guessing the high school part. I haven't taken that class yet.

EDIT: Spelling error.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took Space Science (pretty much the same thing) in high school. It may seem cool, but don't do it! It was the most boring class in the world. That and there was more math involved than I knew how to do. I barely passed with a D-. If you suck at math and can't stand watching boring movies just don't bother. It's not as fun as it seems.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
driverzx said:
Come on man. Do you think you will ever use astrology in your further life?
Yes - > choose it
No - > don't choose it

Astrology?
blink.gif

Only take it if you have an interest in the subject and don't mind math and complex formulas.

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it helps, this is what the description of the Astronomy course is in my Curriculum Guide

Astronomy presents a study of both the solar and stellar systems. Topics studied include examination of the properties of the planets, the moon, the sun, comets, meteors, stars, and galaxies. Theories on the origin of the universe and development of the field of astronomy also are examined.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Link5084 said:

Dude, the text you put in italics is what I described. I actually put more information. If you wanna take the class, just take it.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
driverzx said:
Come on man. Do you think you will ever use astrology in your further life?
Yes - > choose it
No - > don't choose it
Lol, it's Astronomy, not Astrology
smileipb2.png

One's a real science, the other's just...nonsense
rofl.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh man, I would've *loved* to take a class like that in school
biggrin.gif

But it all depends what you're into, and more importantly what the alternative classes are if you don't take this one, if one of those interests you more. It's really not a decision you can just ask The Internet.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.