Should I sell my Wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by Zeriel, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Zeriel
    OP

Zeriel Squid Kid

Jul 10, 2015
    Hello, just wondering is there any reason to keep the Wii U trough 2016? since the NX is around the corner and the Wii U is not going to get as many games anymore. I'm thinking if I should just sell it, I'm in firmware 5.4, I don't see much possibility with homebrew and my version is also not compatible.

Even tough I love Nintendo games, my biggest problem with the Wii U is that they are just too damn expensive! I was going to get Windwaker for Christmas since I was hoping it would be cheap and I never played it but even if it's really old its still 55$!! A game that came out on Game Cube! I love Nintendo but this is too much, It feels like I'm in an abusive relationship lol :(

Last edited by Zeriel, Dec 30, 2015
  2. GamingAori

GamingAori GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 16, 2014
    Gambia, The
    when you can wait the months for nx sell your wiiu. i want a wiiu too but the nx is around a corner. maybe nx will be released next year

3. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    We don't know that much about the NX yet and regarding the Wii U, I bought mine mainly for nintendo franchises like Zelda, Star Fox and Fire Emblem which are just around the corner as well.

Isn't NX supposed to be some crossover platform?

4. Zeriel
    OP

Zeriel Squid Kid

Jul 10, 2015
    I'm fairly certain the NX will be released during 2016, Nintendo went into production last October and I heard they will announce it soon. They also can't wait any longer because the PS4 just keeps getting cheaper and cheaper and Nintendo has to sell theirs at full price.

I'm also really worried that even if they keep saying it won't replace the Wii U that's just corporate talk, they said the same thing when the Wii first came out, and since Star Fox and Zelda will come out next to the NX they will probably have much better ports for the NX than the Wii U, Like they did with Twilight Princess in Wii and GC

The problem is gaming on Nintendo has gotten way too expensive, I hate the constant censorship and region locks and I'm thinking if I should just abandon them. I love my 3DS but this will probably be my last Nintendo purchase :(

5. GamingAori

GamingAori GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 16, 2014
    Gambia, The
    yeah nintendo gaming is really expensive. you can buy them and sell them after playing this is my bad method. but i love this games :/

6. Zeriel
    OP

Zeriel Squid Kid

Jul 10, 2015
    It just breaks my heart when I can get Witcher 3 for 23$, Game of the Year 2015 that came out in May but when I try getting Windwaker is 55$ even tough is a damn remake and it's several years old! :(

GamingAori likes this.
  7. netovsk

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Just speculating but I believe NX is supposed to be in another niche, mobile gaming which is pretty popular in Japan.

I'm having a blast with my Wii U the way it's designed is wonderful and it'd be a pity to see it phased out when it doesn't even have a Metroid or Paper Mario game of its own.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

But even if it's phased out it'll be the perfect emulation platform IMO with homebrew coming soon and all.

The Wii U pad is just perfect for that and it has a very comfortable grip unlike PSP or 3DS for instance.

8. Zeriel
    OP

Zeriel Squid Kid

Jul 10, 2015
    The NX will bring the mobile and console gaming together, Nintendo already merged these two departments. Also the NX will have a mobile component and a console. That's their whole idea, what worries me is the rumors of it being super powerful on par with PS4, this tells me it will cost a fortune because Ninendo never sells hardware at a loss, like Sony and Microsoft. If a damn wii U is 300$ then this thing is very likely to costs 600$ or more probably divided into two devices. Add to that the ridiculous prices of games that never drop and peripherals and this thing is likely to be a huge investment that very few people will take except hardcore Metroid / Zelda fans because everyone already has Next gen consoles or PCs.

Last edited by Zeriel, Dec 30, 2015
    netovsk likes this.
  9. CosmoCortney

CosmoCortney The Hacker Furry

Apr 18, 2013
    Germany
    on the cool side of the pillow
    I'd stay with the Wii U because of the announced IOSU exploit. Soy ou can use homebrews soon.
    There will also come a few games probably being worth playing such as like as Star Fox Zero, Twilight Princess HD an Zelda U. I can also recommend Fast Racing NEO which is only 15 bucks.
    But in the end it's up to you whether to keep it or not

netovsk likes this.
  10. aljpn91

aljpn91 Banned

Banned
    Dec 28, 2015
    there are already so many great things coming out for wii u (iosu exploit, emunand, great exclusives, etc)
    sell it if you must, but i would stick with it just a little longer to see what the future holds
    we still don't know if the NX will be backwards compatibe, and that's what makes the wii u hardware still relevant
    wait for a proper announcement from nintendo, and then sell it if there are no longer reasons to keep it

netovsk likes this.
  11. netovsk

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Haha indeed, I remember buying a used Wii (even though I already had one) bundled with 2 motion plus controllers because it was cheaper than buying one of these alone, used or new.

The Wii U pad is almost as expensive as the console itself.

12. Zeriel
    OP

Zeriel Squid Kid

Jul 10, 2015
    @CosmoCortney @aljpn91

Yea that gives me some hope thanks, I wish we could download some games for Wii U now but I don't think they have been ripped yet and Nintendo is really good at shutting down torrents. It would be really stupid to not make the NX backwards compatible but I wouldn't put it past Nintendo lol

13. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    keep it for vwii stuff pretty much all it's good for

14. Valkart

Valkart GBAtemp Fan

Jun 24, 2009
    Colombia
    Bogotá
    What do you expect? Is Nintendo and is usual for them to be like that. xD Keep the Wii U, hack the vWii mode and wait for the exploit for Wii U mode to play backups and homebrew.

15. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    I keep the consoles I buy but one of the reasons I'll never really sell is because it has DLC content which is locked to the console so I either play on that one or I don't. Plus, I don't intend on buying the same content again.

16. sblast3

sblast3 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 27, 2014
    United States
    Wait for IOSU to come out for 5.4 and sell it at a premium.

17. Bowl0l

Bowl0l GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2015
    Malaysia
    Keep the WiiU. Enjoy the pirated contents.
    Switch to NX after exploits exists.