Hacking Should I get an AceKard 2?

CoconutCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your R4 does everything you want, then no.

If it doesn't, then yes. AK2 costs about $10 (at dealextreme where I got mine) and using AKAIO has nearly 100% compatability, some great features and best of all an active dev/user community here.

Smatchmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4 was my first flash cart & i liked it. (EZ5 was my second.)

I picked up an AK2 a few months ago, and haven't looked back since. I might give CyclosDS a try one day, but I am more than happy with AK2. The user interface is top notch & it's loaded with all sortsa cool stuff.

Get one
, you won't be disappointed.

kenman1

Trophies
Website
www.focalprice.com
XP
Country
United States
you should buy oen now your r4 might die anytime now so you got a back-up
tongue.gif

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
kenman1 said:
you should buy oen now your r4 might die anytime now so you got a back-up
tongue.gif

that’s very untrue. my f2a is 9yrs old and working perfectly. your r4 will most likely outlast your nds if you take care of it. i have a few ak products. ak2.1 is a great purchase and worth every cent.

-another world

Requios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like CoconutCake said, if your R4 has all the features you need, then just stay with it. But if you decided you want something more for a good price, then Acekard is a good cart. AKAIO software is great, the skins are nice, and it has many settings, even the ability to show/hide hidden files (good for myself for hiding my "secrets" from anyone who uses mine *fufufu*).

blanco613

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you should buy a cyclods evolution , i know its a bit pricey but it is worth it in the end. but if your not willing to spend the extra cash for a cyclo then yes the acekard is probobly the second best card and you should definetly get some sort of new card b/c the r4ds is outdated. i have one and i don't use it for anything anymore now that i got my cyclods

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the cyclo is hardly the "best" card. it has some gimick features and a paid support team. how does that justifies the $60 price tag? the thing costs $3 to make. the bottom line is it comes down to a "fan boy" perspective. i guess i'm to indy to buy into the cyclo hype.

i love how the rebuttle is always something about compatibility. i'm the last one to bitch when 1 out of 3379 roms won't work, and the other 3378 work just fine. when i was growing up atari games cost $50 bucks, i was happy to get a few a year. kids today have it so good with clean drag/drop flash linkers. they just don't know it.

-another world

Smartpal

The Guitar Guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
I've been using an acekard 2 for the past 6 months and have had no problem. Recently switched to AKAIO and now it's even better
biggrin.gif
. Get one, they're pretty cheap now, I got mine at a higher price

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
the cyclo is hardly the "best" card. it has some gimick features and a paid support team. how does that justifies the $60 price tag? the thing costs $3 to make. the bottom line is it comes down to a "fan boy" perspective. i guess i'm to indy to buy into the cyclo hype.

i love how the rebuttle is always something about compatibility. i'm the last one to bitch when 1 out of 3379 roms won't work, and the other 3378 work just fine. when i was growing up atari games cost $50 bucks, i was happy to get a few a year. kids today have it so good with clean drag/drop flash linkers. they just don't know it.

-another world
Well what justified the $60-$80 price for my RPG? Probably the fact that there are other mitigating factors in the value of something than straight production expense. I got the RPG for many reasons when I could have gone with a crappy AK2 and paid the cost of a fast food meal.

Point is, Cyclo does have some kickass features (namely the save states and slow motion) that so far Acekard seems unwilling to support or even acknowledge. You want to talk about people taking something for granted, how about all the kids here using AIO on their AK2s? That's not open source, and if Acekard were the ones producing the firmware their experience would be much different--much worse. People here are fortunate that Norm and Smiths are around to make a better software, and that Acekard let them despite all the reasons they might have not.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
that is why i got involved. i organized the 3-in-1 purchases, i update the wiki, i started #acekard, etc. i don't take the two of them for granted... trying to do my part.

i think the rpg cost was the nand and then they figured they could get a few bucks out of the mini-usb interface. i also own an rpg, i purchased it first. i only have ak2s because they were all free.

i still see stuff like RTS and slow-mo as being a fan boy approach. i'm just not a fan of those features and i don't see the need for them. i have been gaming since 83 without those features and i'll personally continue to do so.

-another world

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The necessity for those features is the fact that they are present in a top competing product. That alone should be justification for adoption.

Because every time somebody asks me which flash card to buy, I'm inclined to report my favor for the Acekard but that always requires mentioning that technically the Cyclo provides better (first party) support and more features.

The success of the Acekard is _entirely_ contingent upon the labor of Norm, Smiths, and in the case of the RPG Gelu (thanks, guys!) The fact that Acekard seem content with this--even while doing minimal effort in assisting them--is the main defect of their business and support models and the precise reason why I'm irate that they don't adopt these features.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos