Hardware Should I get a Psp 1000, 2000 or 3000?

• Thread starter SixSenseEagle
  • Start date
  • Views 9,286
  • Replies 8
S

SixSenseEagle

Which psp model should I get?, and which one last for a long time for gameplay, and can easily get modded?.

I had a psp 1000 long ago back when it came out, but I lost it. Now I been thinking of getting one for a while, but Idk which model will last long. I'm looking for a good model that can last for at least 4 or 5 hours, and also hackable :).

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
From what I can remember, all 3 can be hacked relatively easily. I myself have a 3000. So I'd vouch for that. Not exactly too sure how long the battery lasts though because I had not actually finished the battery in one sitting.

Reactions: SixSenseEagle

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1000 Pros
-Infrared port
-Recoverable if you brick it
-Bigger (I prefer the feel of it)

-Might be recoverable if you brick it depending on the motherboard (only earlier models)
-Has extra RAM that can be used for some homebrew
-Lighter and thinner
-I think it has a better screen but not sure
-Can output to TV if you buy the proper cable

-Not recoverable if you brick (still, bricking is very hard to do unless you do something stupid)
-Same pros as 2000
-Better screen than the 2000

I think that's about it, but I have only owned a 1000 so you shouldn't take my word for it.

Edit: I'm not sure about battery life, but you can probably buy a more powerful battery.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Everything depends on your intentions. If you plan on experimenting with the hardware and customizing it to a huge degree, getting an early model PSP-2000 is a far better option, since you are always capable to CPR it back to life with a Pandora battery when things go sour (8B and earlier Data Codes - check the sticker inside the battery compartment). Not only that, with this model, you can use custom IPL, so that your hack is permanent. If it isn't the early model though, there's no good reason to get the PSP-2000 over the 3000.

If you just want a PSP, a 3000 is perfectly fine, but keep in mind that if you'll be over firmware 6.20, you will be unable to use a Perm Patch and will have to use Fast Recovery each boot or resort to Sleep Mode.

As far as I know, the upper-hand the 3000 has is the built-in microphone and a high-quality display, but I personally valued an unbrickable system over a "fancy" one and bought a PSP-2000 and later a microphone-equipped remote, making it on pretty much equal footing with the 3000 features-wise.
There's no good reason to buy the 1000 outside of its collector's value - it has only 32 MB RAM, which means that you will find yourself unable to use High Memory Mod. The PSP 2000 and 3000 are infinitely better and the IR port was never really used to an extent that would validate getting an overall inferior handheld. (Well, except for the keyboard mod, but it worked only with specific keyboards and it was rather clunky.)

steveroo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i own a 1000 and 2000

i didn't notice a big deal between loading time with a 1000 and 2000 with backed up games. the feel of the 1000 does feel better when playing games; feels sturdy, a genuine game machine.1000 doesn't play some cps1 cps2 games as a 2000 will. video output; the 2000 will play your videos full screen, games/emulators only 3/4 of your tv will play your games.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
if you are worried about bricking and unbricking then you already answered your question.

i think you should be asking yourself how much you are willing to spend. if you can afford $129 then buy a brand new 3000 and hack it. if you can't then look for a used model. going used means you may run into button issues, nub issues, screen scratches, cracked UMD doors, etc. check youtube for some vids that will show you the screen differences between the 3 models.

i like everything about the 3000 except for the squeaky plastic direction pad and the plastic shoulder buttons. i've never used an earlier psp so i've no idea if they were different. the temporary hack isn't a big deal at all. if you power off then you need to run the hack recovery, which takes all of 8 seconds to "re-hack" the system. i usually just leave mine in sleep mode, sometimes for up to 2 weeks.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ai doc my reality prescriptions running low I need 5,000mg