should i buy a ds?

Danieluz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everybody, I know this may seem a little strange, and I know that I should make up my own mind, but the fact is... I don't
unsure.gif

The question is... should I buy a nintendo ds?

Im not sure if any of you out there been trough this too, but the thing is... I don't like games anymore, at least most of them
wacko.gif

I had a spectrum, a game-gear, a playstation 1 and now a good enough computer, im 18 now, and until I was about 15, all games seemed funny and entertaining for me, but now, i can only play Call of duty 2, Starwars knights of the old republic, and that's about it.

I don't really know if any of you know felt this way, but I think it is due the fact that trough the high speed connection most of us have right now, we get access to any game we want, when we want. I do miss the old days when I went to the game shop and I could pick just one game, and it made happy for a couple of months, but now, I just don't see myself spending so much money on something that I can get on the pc for "free"
ph34r.gif

Now, I must say that im completely in love with the Ds lite, it's really pretty and I've been following everyting related to it for the last couple of months. But im really afraid of buying it and then getting tired of it right way
unsure.gif

So please, if somebody been trough this, please give me some advice, if it is not asking too much, I would appreciate it.

Thank you

(Please don't bash me
ph34r.gif
And sorry for my lousy english
wacko.gif
)

kingeightsix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
why don't you borrow one from a friend at first?

see if it's good enough for you & if you think you'll actually keep it...

i'm sure your friend wouldn't mind you borrowing one for say, 3 days to try it out.

Danieluz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
why don't you borrow one from a friend at first?

see if it's good enough for you & if you think you'll actually keep it...

i'm sure your friend wouldn't mind you borrowing one for say, 3 days to try it out.

I would, but:
- I don't know one single person that has one(in portugal most of people have psp's in general, people don't even know what a ds or a wii is =X)
- I am quite sure I would appreciate a ds for 3 days
tongue.gif
my problem is in long term
unsure.gif

- I don't really wanna borrow a ds, don't know if you know what I mean, but, when im dying to have something, I don't even wanna touch someone else's, i just want one for me
tongue.gif
I kind of want to experience every single moment when I buy one
nyanya.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Like you, I don't play a lot of games, perhaps for different reasons, but it's the rare game that hooks me.
I like the quick stuff that you can pick up and play when you've got five or ten minutes to kill.
The DS starts up quick and there's lots of games that are fun to play in small increments yet still have depth.
Ouendan, WarioWare, Rub Rabbits, Zookeeper, Tetris, etc..

Plus there's a lot to explore other than games. I'm still waiting for a really nice PDA, but in the meantime there are nice book and comic readers, music players, and interesting homebrew (some from our own members.)

The large library of GBA games also helps in that you've got a lot of great older games to pick from, and can pick them up used for really cheap.

I really love mine... I don't use it everyday (until the PDA killer app comes along anyway,) but it's fairly small, keeps a good long charge, and is ready in a flash when I do want to kill some time.

Danieluz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Like you, I don't play a lot of games, perhaps for different reasons, but it's the rare game that hooks me.
I like the quick stuff that you can pick up and play when you've got five or ten minutes to kill.
The DS starts up quick and there's lots of games that are fun to play in small increments yet still have depth.
Ouendan, WarioWare, Rub Rabbits, Zookeeper, Tetris, etc..

Plus there's a lot to explore other than games. I'm still waiting for a really nice PDA, but in the meantime there are nice book and comic readers, music players, and interesting homebrew (some from our own members.)

The large library of GBA games also helps in that you've got a lot of great older games to pick from, and can pick them up used for really cheap.

I really love mine... I don't use it everyday (until the PDA killer app comes along anyway,) but it's fairly small, keeps a good long charge, and is ready in a flash when I do want to kill some time.

Thank you, really great piece of advice.
bow.gif

Now, question, would a good pda applcation for the ds ever come to a real pda?

Moneo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well... it might help to figure out if you got tired of games in general, or just the not-so-good variety
smile.gif
For me, about 95% of the games made today are simply not interesting, so if a random game you picked up has left you cold this is no reason to quit gaming altogether.

And looking from a different perspective... I don't see much harm coming out of you buying a DS. In the worst case, there's good chances that you'll be able to sell it at a small loss to someone who badly wants to get one, but is scared of online shopping.

As for my own experience, Ouendan alone made getting a DS worth it
biggrin.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Now, question, would a good pda applcation for the ds ever come to a real pda?
The DS is kind of a different breed. If a really good PDA app were to appear for it, it would be one that played to it's strengths. DSOrganise is the closest so far, but unfortunatly doesn't work well with the G6 Lite cart that I have.

To answer your question more directly... no, it wouldn't need to. PDAs already play to there own strengths in the apps that are written for them. More likely, I hope anyway, someone will clone the original Palm Pilot OS or something similar and add DS niceties to it. The DS-Xtreme cart looks promising if it's team can find the time to embellish it the way they hint at.

There's really no telling what the future holds, but with the popularity of the DS, all Nintendo has to do is push it to lawyers/doctors just a bit with a well built vertical app or two, and more stuff will come out of the woodwork from there.

The browser is a good first step in my opinion.

Sorry for all the speculation...

Danieluz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, thanks for the advice guys. I think I made my mind already =) Now I think I will just wait for a good slot-1 solution. Too bad slot-1 solutions don't support gba roms. Would really like to have gba rom support on my (possible)future ds, while having flawless ds roms playback, and not ending up paying more for it than the console alone =X

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
i have to agree too. the psp is nice and all, but the games suck... and if you're worried about running out of good games, do like the rest of us and get yourself a flashcart (an entirely different conversation) and save yourself some moolah ($$$). There are plenty of awesome games out there for the DS, cant tell ya where to get them, but if your resourceful, you'll find them. Granted, there arnt many shooters like Call of Duty, but there are some really nice RPG's...not like KoToR though. most of them are old school turn based fun. the only action RPG i can think of is Children of Mana and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the GBA. a DS and a flashcart is gonna run you about $200 USD, depending on the one you get/memory/passcard. but it has given me way way way more fun than my PSP ever did. and it came out to be cheaper. If your interested in unique games, the DS is the only way to go (besides a wii, and man, i love my wii too!). you could even get a DSPhat for cheaper, but the lite is worth the extra cash.

^^^ in response to spending more on a flashcart than on the DS itself, it really shouldnt be that huge of an issue...sure it's alot upfront, but even if you get a M3Lite, a 1 gig stick, and a passcard, that should only be $120, maybe less now...but think about it in terms of games (each being $35) 4 games = $140...you really save in the long run..

flai

Androgynous Apparently :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
any threads that start are named "should i buy a ds" or something along those lines should be immediately answered with "YES!!!!"
of course you should. BUY TWO! you should always buy a ds.

Danieluz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i have to agree too. the psp is nice and all, but the games suck... and if you're worried about running out of good games, do like the rest of us and get yourself a flashcart (an entirely different conversation) and save yourself some moolah ($$$). There are plenty of awesome games out there for the DS, cant tell ya where to get them, but if your resourceful, you'll find them. Granted, there arnt many shooters like Call of Duty, but there are some really nice RPG's...not like KoToR though. most of them are old school turn based fun. the only action RPG i can think of is Children of Mana and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the GBA. a DS and a flashcart is gonna run you about $200 USD, depending on the one you get/memory/passcard. but it has given me way way way more fun than my PSP ever did. and it came out to be cheaper. If your interested in unique games, the DS is the only way to go (besides a wii, and man, i love my wii too!). you could even get a DSPhat for cheaper, but the lite is worth the extra cash.

Lol, I like call of duty, but it never crossed my mind playing something like that on the ds, i want a handled system with simple yet addictive games.

And btw I also really like Pokemon, final fantasy and Dragon Quest
smile.gif

And again, thank you all for your patience and wise words
nyanya.gif
(and Sorry for my english
wacko.gif
)

hobotent

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I totally side with everyone.

But I do second Dice, remember that in a huge forum that is all about the GBA and NDS, noone is gonna say 'absolutely not!'

Danieluz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
But I do second Dice, remember that in a huge forum that is all about the GBA and NDS, noone is gonna say 'absolutely not!'

The thing is, I know 3 kinds of person.
-Nintendo Fanboy
-Sony Fanboy
-Regular People

Now, if I ask Regular people what do they think, they don't even know what a ds is. (at least, here in my country that's what happens)
If I ask Sony fanboy's, whell.. most of psp owners I know, are about 12 years old, and the psp is not really a option for me.
So, that leaves me with the nintendo fan boys, and as Im already in love with the ds, all I need is a litle push =P

Sorry for not talking about this earlier, but has I said my english is not that good, so as I didn't want to be misunderstood or whatever, i tried to avoid it =X

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...