Hacking Question Should I buy a 3.0.0 Switch or anyone now is good?

coveiro24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys

The title says all!
Because with all this new developments going on, I don't know if it's better to look for a 3.0.0 or because of the recent news that any version is hackable, any is good and more easy to find! :)

Thanks

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy a switch, and hope for a low firmware.

As far as we know, the revision hasn't come out yet. Buy one now, it will be hackable.

If it IS a revision, then report back and tell us so everybody else can prepare.

tldr any switch right now SHOULD be okay

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
They're all hackable so just get any.

Some people prefer 3.0.0 because of a software exploit that makes it slightly easier to trigger the exploit, but I'm not sure I'd pay extra for this.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi guys

The title says all!
Because with all this new developments going on, I don't know if it's better to look for a 3.0.0 or because of the recent news that any version is hackable, any is good and more easy to find! :)

Thanks
Doesn't matter, homebrew works on 4.x and 5.x already through hekate and the RCM exploit is unpatchable in software.

fagnerkof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
After these Hekate releases, it is still preferable to stay on 3.0.2 rather than 4.1.0, or it doesn't make difference anymore between these?

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After these Hekate releases, it is still preferable to stay on 3.0.2 rather than 4.1.0, or it doesn't make difference anymore between these?

As far as I know, 3.0.2 does not have access to the software exploit so to as well update.

4.1.0 and lower currently have the ability to use a software mod (4.1.0 is special as the software entry point is not publically available). They're all basically equal at this point. to be honest, there's no real reason to stay on low firmware unless you don't want to use a jig. You can update and be fine in the future.

fagnerkof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The fixed fw post says that 3.0.1 to 4.1.0 are interchangeable; but I wasn't sure if a lower cf between these would be better to use Atmosphere later. It wasn't clear for me that this fw range is exactly "the same" to future cfw purposes (I may misunderstood the word 'interchangeable'). There's still the guessing around there that an 3.x fw (not only 3.0.0) will get cfw before 4.x, or that the access method to 3.x will be easier than 4.x will demand.
Also I just got a MK8Deluxe cart with a serial 002, who nags me the update to play (read before that it comes with the 4.1.0 within the cart but not sure since I denied the update)

Last edited by fagnerkof,

metaljay

Trophies
XP
Country
i also was gonna ask the same question, i think for now 3.0 offers easy access, but every firmware will have access, its just you may have you use a jig all the time or can be done via software

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Can I ask a partly provocative question?

With Hikate - that presumably is a little faster than a boot into CFW will be, how long does it take you from a *cold boot* (worst case scenario ;) ) into lets say - pfba?

Including the time to boot up your (Windows ;) ) PC and hook up the USB cable.. ;)

I'll give you 3.0.0 "pegaswitch" numbers in a second. :)

edit: 1min 15sec from coldboot to the pfba selection screen - without dongles and without a PC. (But with the need of WLAN - (/mobile phone hotspot))

My current notion is, that after a while, many people who are into using a homebrew solution, will booth it through a software exploit, or will decide to go with a "mod chip like" solution. And the software solution "cutoff" is 4.1.0 - at least for a significant while. (1.0.0 has the benefits of potentially getting insta coldboot into CFW, 3.0.0 has the current benefit of "most homebrew compatibility" (will change quickly) - and if the 4.1.0 software entry point is comparable to the one on 3.0.0 still has to be seen (usability argument - feature wise they will be the same).)

Last edited by notimp,

Switcyswachty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
you can get 3.0.0 switches on ebay. i payed a little lower than i would here (norway) but might hafto pay some for custom and import charges. but overall its not so bad :) (it was a brand new switch with joy cons and everything on 3.0.0)

Last edited by Switcyswachty,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I would buy the cheapest one you can find, paying extra for a lower firmware won't gain you any real advantage in the long term.

fagnerkof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Also, as time passes by it gets more and more difficult to find switches in lower firmwares. The amount of people unaware of the scene is far greater, then even these people don't bother themselves with the updates things, switch forces it to access eshop, carts asking for sys updates and so on ><

Btw, t would be nice to add a statement on any sticky clarifying about the equivalence of fw 3.0.1~4.1.0 (preferentially confirmed by a dev itself if possible); there's still the idea of that a lower fw within this range is better so it's still leaves questions as I see

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Rolleyes... Devs confirmed, its just the normal user that has a mental blockage, and would like to talk to devs again, one by one. Not taking that away from you - but come on.. What exactly dont you understand about "they fixed the glaring bug they introduced with 3.0.0 in 3.0.1, and the next sotware entry point we are working on also works on 4.1.0?"? If you want to stay in the middle you are waiting for something no one else is waiting for - but that might theoretically still exist (low chances of it mattering at all).

Also - the lead gets buried here.

Newer firmwares (pre Switch hardware revision) might be preferable, If you want to use OFW and the eshop - legally - but might require a modchip if you dont want to drag a PC/Smartphone, a usb cable and a jig around to boot into CFW (people are working on getting rid of the PC/Smartphone and usb cable requirement, but this will take a while) == those things might require a modchip to use sensibly in the long term.

Older firmwares will get into CFW via software only (1.0.0 "quickest", 3.0.0 and 4.1.0 "slower" (think 1min 15sec from coldboot - while 3.0.0 for the time being (remaining 2-4 months) has the best homebrew compatibility - until the playing field gets leveled) -- BUT you might not be able to go online with them (as the only "current FW" will be CFW and Nintendo might be able to detect it).

Also - every millennial and their best buddy will tell you to just update, or buy "any version", because they are vicious creatures, seldomly with the ability to engage in complex thought, who can't deal with delayed gratification, and that don't want others to succeed above their own position. So they smile at you and tell you to do as they did.
On second thought, thats just humans in general... ;)

(
The great ancient Greek philosophers fall somewhere in between. For Socrates, virtue was knowledge; vice, ignorance. If man could but think right, he would then do right (orthodoxy leading to orthopraxis). Teaching, inquiry, relentless questioning -- maybe even a sort of remembrance of what we know or are (Plato) -- can unlock this inclination toward the good and right.

Aristotle was more pragmatic: the institutions of culture - if themselves healthy - could shape malleable human nature toward virtue. Virtue habituates in the denizens of a health society.
https://www.quora.com/Are-people-fundamentally-good-or-bad-in-general

(Plato on the other hand.. ;)) )

Of course it is better to get a "lower firmware" switch as of today (and depending on where you are living it might still be "easy" to get your hands on one at the normal price), because it allows you the most flexibility. But - if you arent fundamentally opposed to paying for a mod chip install in the future - a "always current firmware" (pre hardware revision) Switch with a modchip like solution, might represent the best of both worlds.

To our knowledge the hardware revision isn't out yet - unless it is.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: coveiro24

coveiro24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for all yours replies! :D

I have managed to go to several shopping's and game stores and using the "infograph" I was able to find a switch on 2.30 firmware.
Now I will wait and see if it's better to stay on this or update with a game to 3.0.0!

Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag