Should I be worried about this IP address?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I just got an email from Google telling me that someone who knows my Google account password tried to access to my google account.
They got me the IP Address from where "someone" tried to get into my account.
I've looked for the IP Address and turns out that the IP Address given by Google, belongs to another City and another Internet Provider.

What should I do in this case? This is the first time I've experienced this... and I'm worried that someone could access to my Google Drive as I have some personal stuff up there.
What do I have to do?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got an email from Google telling me that someone who knows my Google account password tried to access to my google account.
I've looked for the IP Address and turns out that the IP Address given by Google, belongs to another City and another Internet Provider.

What should I do in this case? This is the first time I've experienced this... and I'm worried that someone could access to my Google Drive as I have some personal stuff up there.
What do I have to do?
Change your password

Reactions: IC_

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Change your password
I just did that.
Should I be worried about something else they might want to try?
Not sure why this is happening to me (not self victimizing) but.. really can't understand lol.

Not paranoid... just don't want to have the same trouble.

I've set a stronger password now... is that all?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did that.
Should I be worried about something else they might want to try?
Not sure why this is happening to me (not self victimizing) but.. really can't understand lol.

Not paranoid... just don't want to have the same trouble.

I've set a stronger password now... is that all?
Setup 2 factor authentication to your phone number sms texting

Reactions: wartutor

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Since 2014 I've seen a lot of data breaches, and a lot of people (including myself) had their passwords and adresses online on freaking Pastebin pages.
That's why a lot of people nowadays recommend to use a VPN and services that create randomized passwords and you just unlock 'em with the master pass you decide.

Reactions: SagaP

SagaP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Setup 2 factor authentication to your phone number sms texting
SMS is discouraged for two-factor authentication, better use an authenticator app

Do not worry, hacker usually don't target individuals they target large groups, probably their got your email from a service you sing-in and they are trying a library of passwords against various emails.

Another thing you can do is use a password manager, nowdays coming up with unique and secures password and remember them is nearly impossible.

You can use any app, But if you don't want to look i recommend Bitwarden as a password manager and Aegis as an authenticator

if you want more sing up for services like Firefox Monitor and check their tips when creating your master password.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

What do I have to do?
Did it actually say they had your password, or did it just say something like "suspicious login attempt detected"? Usually it just says that.

Anyway, websites get hacked and databases dumped all the time, this sort of thing is easily avoidable by using an unique password for your email though. You don't have to use long randomly generated unique passwords on every website, but for something as important as your email, it's worth using an unique password (a hard to guess and hard to crack one, which means reasonably long, does not need to contain numbers and symbols if it's a 15+ character phrase that no one would guess)

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks all.
I didn't got any notifications of your replies.

I've changed my password. I'm sure it's nothing serious. I was asking because I was worried that whoever tried to get to my account might've gotten what I have in my google drive.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be careful when using a random password generator. I have encountered some site that doesn't handle those type of password and requires you to reset your password. On one site I created an account with the randomized password and while logged in, I experience an anomaly where I was automatically logged out while still logged in at the same time. When I did click on sign out, and trying to sign in with the same just created password, failed to let me log in. So a password reset was required.

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Be careful when using a random password generator. I have encountered some site that doesn't handle those type of password and requires you to reset your password. On one site I created an account with the randomized password and while logged in, I experience an anomaly where I was automatically logged out while still logged in at the same time. When I did click on sign out, and trying to sign in with the same just created password, failed to let me log in. So a password reset was required.

I'm not using a password generator. I made my own password (which was pretty long actually including numbers, lower and capitals and signs)

I'll leave it as it is for now, if I see that something else is happening, I'll delete my whole google mail.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
1. Get a password manager, lastpass, keypass, etc
2. Get Authy and turn on 2FA for your important accounts
3. check haveibeenpwned to see if you were in a breach
4. change your password through a secure generated password by your pw manager app

Reactions: DBlaze and JuanMena
D

Deleted User

Since 2014 I've seen a lot of data breaches, and a lot of people (including myself) had their passwords and adresses online on freaking Pastebin pages.
That's why a lot of people nowadays recommend to use a VPN and services that create randomized passwords and you just unlock 'em with the master pass you decide.
turn this into an audio clip and it's basically one of those youtube shill quotes about nordvpn and that other one i forgot about already

Reactions: E1ite007

JuanMena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is kind of a relief... :yay:
Captura.PNG

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1. Get a password manager, lastpass, keypass, etc
2. Get Authy and turn on 2FA for your important accounts
3. check haveibeenpwned to see if you were in a breach
4. change your password through a secure generated password by your pw manager app
this, however I would recommend against Authy due to it doing backups to their cloud by default, though they say it's encrypted (and yes you have to set up a pin and password to protect it) and it is a neat feature to be able to just recover all your tokens if you switch device for whatever reason.
In itself Authy is pretty ok, but if you're really going out of your way to secure stuff, i wouldn't backup my tokens in anyones cloud service

Reactions: Chary

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
this, however I would recommend against Authy due to it doing backups to their cloud by default, though they say it's encrypted (and yes you have to set up a pin and password to protect it) and it is a neat feature to be able to just recover all your tokens if you switch device for whatever reason.
In itself Authy is pretty ok, but if you're really going out of your way to secure stuff, i wouldn't backup my tokens in anyones cloud service
Good point! I just use Authy because it was the first thing that Twitch recommended to me, when I first learned about 2FA. Wasn't even aware it had a cloud backup option, honestly. So this is good to know.

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good point! I just use Authy because it was the first thing that Twitch recommended to me, when I first learned about 2FA. Wasn't even aware it had a cloud backup option, honestly. So this is good to know.
It can be disabled if anything, but I think it's enabled by default

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
turn this into an audio clip and it's basically one of those youtube shill quotes about nordvpn and that other one i forgot about already
"And now, with ExpressVPN I can use the Internet with my data intact and using the best servers from more than 40 countries I have the bests speeds. If you follow the link below you will get 3 months free and an exclusive offer for those who want to get back they safety online. ExpressVPN, recover your online privacy now."

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"And now, with ExpressVPN I can use the Internet with my data intact and using the best servers from more than 40 countries I have the bests speeds. If you follow the link below you will get 3 months free and an exclusive offer for those who want to get back they safety online. ExpressVPN, recover your online privacy now."
That still doesn't stop the breach on email account servers and what not. The service basically protect your own devices, not someone else server. Where the the passwords for each member is stored.

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That still doesn't stop the breach on email account servers and what not. The service basically protect your own devices, not someone else server. Where the the passwords for each member is stored.
As far as I remember, ExpressVPN doesn't protect passwords and they claim to don't keep logs as NordVPN did in the past, being the main reason someone hacked their servers. Other apps that are designed for that, usually claim that your data is stored onto the app itself, no logs neither online backups, and that everything is encrypted by AES 256-bit.
Anyway, I don't use any of those, I don't trust any VPN, and those that are more trustworthy usually are pretty expensive, and I don't use any sensitive data as credit card numbers or important documents to care enough for paying one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo