Help mapping a network shared drive in Windows 10

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have a RAID array on my other rig that I would also like to be able to access from another PC. I have set the drives as shared through network sharing and have attempted to map the network drive. I was able find the drive when connecting however it is asking for login in here. I have been told it would just be the IPV4 Address\Username but I cannot get this to work. I've tried the email of the account on the system and actual user name. No matter what I try I get "The specified network password is not correct" Error. Any idea what I may be doing wrong here?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are both of the computers running Windows 10, or what? Rather important detail there.

If it's an option, you'd probably be better off forgetting about Windows networking and using something like sftp instead. That might be worth testing regardless as a means of troubleshooting.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
So I have a RAID array on my other rig that I would also like to be able to access from another PC. I have set the drives as shared through network sharing and have attempted to map the network drive. I was able find the drive when connecting however it is asking for login in here. I have been told it would just be the IPV4 Address\Username but I cannot get this to work. I've tried the email of the account on the system and actual user name. No matter what I try I get "The specified network password is not correct" Error. Any idea what I may be doing wrong here?
Which OS have the RAID rig?

Which protocol are you exposing?

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are both of the computers running Windows 10, or what? Rather important detail there.

If it's an option, you'd probably be better off forgetting about Windows networking and using something like sftp instead. That might be worth testing regardless as a means of troubleshooting.
Which OS have the RAID rig?

Which protocol are you exposing?
This is just 2 different Windows 10 PCs both signed into the same Microsoft account on the same network. This is just going through sharing options built into Windows. I don't really need anything complex here. I just need to easily be able to access the drive from both machines through file explorer.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's been ages since I messed around with it, but if IIRC, it can't be the same account both logged in to the machine and being used for the credentials for remote access. So you can't have account X being logged in on the raid machine and also account X being used for the credentials to access the share remotely.

So you'd need a second local account with password on the raid machine, share the drives, make sure that the new local account is an allowed user, log that account out and then use those credentials to access the share remotely.

Could be wrong, but I'm sure I had a similar issue once and that was the issue.

I don't really need anything complex here. I just need to easily be able to access the drive from both machines through file explorer.

Easiest no hassle way, as long as there is no one else on your local network that you don't want to have access to the files, is to just turn password protected sharing off. Only other issue with that is if your network gets compromised, then there's no stopping those files being accessed, but then you probably have bigger issues to worry about if randoms are getting on it.

I don't know why MS make it so much hassle with having to have user accounts and permissions and other bollocks set up. Just give me an option for a global share password. You have it, you can access the shares on any account, no hassle and still a bit of security.

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been ages since I messed around with it, but if IIRC, it can't be the same account both logged in to the machine and being used for the credentials for remote access. So you can't have account X being logged in on the raid machine and also account X being used for the credentials to access the share remotely.

So you'd need a second local account with password on the raid machine, share the drives, make sure that the new local account is an allowed user, log that account out and then use those credentials to access the share remotely.

Could be wrong, but I'm sure I had a similar issue once and that was the issue.

Easiest no hassle way, as long as there is no one else on your local network that you don't want to have access to the files, is to just turn password protected sharing off. Only other issue with that is if your network gets compromised, then there's no stopping those files being accessed, but then you probably have bigger issues to worry about if randoms are getting on it.

I don't know why MS make it so much hassle with having to have user accounts and permissions and other bollocks set up. Just give me an option for a global share password. You have it, you can access the shares on any account, no hassle and still a bit of security.
I suppose I can't be shocked windows has some extremely dumb limitation with it... I assume I can keep the local account with the machine hosting the drive and share to the machine with the actual account?

Edit: yes this was the issue I got it working. Thank you.

Last edited by Ryab,

MrSandstorm

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
From what I understand you're trying to set it up in a way that doesn't require you to login, right? Windows is weird with authentication, especially when trying to use "guest" (no password) access. There's a bunch of stuff to check, I'll list the stuff I remember. Important warning: this enables anyone connected to the network to access the shared folders, so make sure your network is secured, and that this behavior is really what you want.

Look for the following stuff on the "network" menu within settings:
  • Make sure the network type on both machines is set to "private"
  • Enable "file and printer sharing"
  • Disable "password protected sharing"
Also, from your original post you mentioned you're typing IPv4\username. Windows uses \\IPv4\sharename. For example, \\192.168.0.1\MyFiles. Before mapping the drive, you can go to just \\IPv4 on the explorer bar to check if the client PC can see the share.

Last edited by MrSandstorm,
Reactions: Haymose

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I suppose I can't be shocked windows has some extremely dumb limitation with it... I assume I can keep the local account with the machine hosting the drive and share to the machine with the actual account?

Edit: yes this was the issue I got it working. Thank you.

It's a stupid limitation. I can't believe it's still the same issue. It's ridiculous that in 2024 your options are still either:
Multiple accounts on the machine because the same one can't be logged in and also used to access the share remotely.
No password at all.
And then to top off it, the helpful error message of "password not correct", rather than say "credentials in use on host machine" or something similar to at least point you in the right direction.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Ryab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a stupid limitation. I can't believe it's still the same issue. It's ridiculous that in 2024 your options are still either:
Multiple accounts on the machine because the same one can't be logged in and also used to access the share remotely.
No password at all.
And then to top off it, the helpful error message of "password not correct", rather than say "credentials in use on host machine" or something similar to at least point you in the right direction.
You should never expect Windows to improve. They still have UI elements from 98 mixed in.

EdgarLittle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ensure that the username and password you're using are for an account on the PC that hosts the RAID array. If you're using Windows, this would be the username and password you use to log in to that machine.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ensure that the username and password you're using are for an account on the PC that hosts the RAID array. If you're using Windows, this would be the username and password you use to log in to that machine.
Hi! Are you a spambot? Because you sound like a spambot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto