63.0%
  3. 46 voter(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gourmet

OP Gourmet Banned
    Banned

Brazil
    Writing a coherent text doesn't mean it has a good purpose. The guy just took some random stuff from those 0/10 metacritic users and made it look like valid criticism.

2. Imacaredformy2ds

Imacaredformy2ds Smartass
    Banned

Mexico
    Thanks Chary

Chary likes this.
  3. Tenshi_Okami

Tenshi_Okami GBAtemp Maniac

Puerto Rico
    It was an example, plus considering its BOTW, a 5/10 would had triggered a lot of ppl (like OP xD)

Imacaredformy2ds likes this.
  4. maorninja

maorninja GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Besides, what GBAtemp is doing is called a review. Not clickbait at all.

If you think that its clickbait, we can say the same about IGN or GameXplain, then.

Chary likes this.
  5. Jacklack3

Jacklack3 ( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here

Canada
    then in your case, this shouldn't be here.
    upload_2017-3-9_18-14-36.png
    but it is, i wonder why?

6. Issac

Issac I
    Supervisor

Sweden
    One deviating review shouldn't make anyone ask if the site should "keep doing clickbaits". It's just one review.

Now, what I think is far worse is how Opencritic interpret scores. Everything below 70 is "Weak". That's pretty damn narrow.
    0-69 Weak (70 steps of weak)
    70 - 74 Fair (5 steps of fair)
    75 - 84 Strong (10 steps of strong)
    85 - 100 Mighty (15 steps of mighty)

7. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

The 10 score system is useless imo. It should be 1-5. But the review is not clickbait.

Shit I forgot my clever quip to get likes from. Maybe next time

Imacaredformy2ds and T-hug like this.
  8. Chary

Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    W-what?

While some of the review could have been better worded, there's plenty of evidence that the reviewer found that kept the game from being an 8+/10. There was no intent to score for the sake of being low, this was a staff member who went out of their way to review the game because they were passionate about writing about the content of the new Zelda game. We even discussed some of the more irksome qualities of the game in the staff section, so these opinions aren't unique to just one person. A perfectly objective review doesn't exist, but the goal is to be as objective as possible.
    Yes, because you obviously were in his mind, seeing the writing process.
    I think they use the American school grade system, which a lot of reviewers use as well. It doesn't make sense, but it's what a lot of people think of when it comes to scores.
    I don't really think a 1-5 scale gives enough room though. A full 0.0-10.0 system gives a lot more variety to the scores, and lets the writer give a better numerical value to the game.

Tom Bombadildo and Issac like this.
  9. Gourmet

OP Gourmet Banned
    Banned

Brazil
    I agree. It makes this even worse.

69 mighty (lowest is 5 points from strong)
    0 strong
    1 fair (1 point from weak)

10. VinsCool

VinsCool Persona Secretiva Felineus

Canada
    That's not a clickbait. Google Buzzfeed. THIS is what clickbaits are like.

11. Gourmet

OP Gourmet Banned
    Banned

Brazil
    7.8 too much water
    7.0 weapons break

Both are clickbait.

nando likes this.
  12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    There are ways to engineer scoring systems to influence results -- if you do the classic "hate, dislike, neutral, like, adore" split in a survey you will tend to find a lot of people tend towards neutral or the extremes where the same survey questions without a middle choice tends to be far more reflective of the "truth". Indeed you can witness an example of something similar in action in this very thread, and the review that spawned it, where 7 is considered a somewhat poor score despite it being well above the halfway point.

Depending upon the divisions available in the points scale though mathematically speaking 1-5 could be identical to out of 10, give or take how you want to deal with the extremes (is it 0 to 5 or 1 to 5).

As for actual clickbait I try not to do it but if the content is good then clickbait headlines are not the worst.

Chary likes this.
  13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

yeah I think clickbait is obviously the wrong word, and ultimately I think the scoring is only marginally low, I would probably have maxed out at about 8/10, its a really nice game, but too many shortcomings but again with all these things its always going to boil down to personal preference to some degree, and it would be wrong to feel obliged to score it high simply because everyone else had

then again I think maybe the reviewer felt "kinda" rushed to get it out the door, which is why its important for reviewers to get review copies as if everyone else gets it before you then your left on the sideline and have to rush through to catch up and get your review out on time, which would obviously effect your experience of the game even if you try to not let it

Last edited by gamesquest1, Mar 9, 2017
  14. Chary

Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    7.8 was far too good for that game.

Do you have no concept of the review grade system? Most people would accept a 7.0 as a pretty good game worth their time. If you really wanted to see an example of clickbait, then there would be a review with a 3.0 score. THAT would be pure clickbait, as everyone can agree, the game does in no way deserve a 3...unless a case can be made, I'd love to see such. A "fair/good/decent" score is fine.

15. HavengulZenith

Newcomer

United States
    A lot of people in this thread don't seem to understand what clickbait means. Clickbait is anything that makes you even mildly upset or uncomfortable.

16. Chary

Chary Never sleeps
    Chief Editor

United States
    Literally triggered.

17. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Game shouldn't be scoring that high anyway (10s).

Even if you have no problems with gameplay, should have had points knocked off for techinical issues. Same for other big name games, for some reason reviewers never seem to find issue with games performance until it's a smaller title that isn't predestined to get a high score.

Chary and T-hug like this.
  18. Jacklack3

Jacklack3 ( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here

Canada
    *facepalm*

It means when you try to make someone click on your link by baiting them with a title/thumbnail that isn't part of the content. Such as if I said "HOW TO GET A FREE HOUSE!" but the article was talking about cheap homes.

Catsinabucket likes this.
  19. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    The Switch and BotW has brought out all the idiots apparently. I can't remember the last time I've seen so many retarded threads.

Armadillo likes this.
  20. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

its not exclusively that, its something designed to mislead or entice you to click on something that you otherwise wouldn't, be it a fake headline i.e "free money if you view my video*" *imaginary money bitches or scoring something really low or really high compared to everyone else to attract heated debate i.e "Zelda botw sucks" or "Barbie is the most amazing wiiu game ever, heres why......"

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - clickbaits, GBATemp, Should

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.