(Shocking) Wii U News, Slow RAM speed and ports issues.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about it? I expected this, and you should have too. It's not a big deal at all.

I'm not the one bitching about it, those wankers at NeoGaf are. I personally don't care either way, seeing as Nintendo finally doesn't get watered down ports for once. I like being able to play Arkham City at 1080p, something my laptop or PC at home couldn't do.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not the one bitching about it, those wankers at NeoGaf are. I personally don't care either way, seeing as Nintendo finally doesn't get watered down ports for once.
Well people like to bitch about things that obviously will happen...
A completely new system launches, people bitch about getting tons of ports. It rained yesterday, people bitched about getting wet.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well people like to bitch about things that obviously will happen...
A completely new system launches, people bitch about getting tons of ports. It rained yesterday, people bitched about getting wet.

Precisely, they're always going to bitch and moan about a system and its ports, even if it's really new. If they don't like it, then that's too effing bad, it's not like anyone is coercing them into playing said ports.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But the whole thing with the Wii U was it was "developer friendly" and that Nintendo could finally get in on the Xbox 360/PS3 territory of gaming. If you're having issues porting an engine like UE3 because your entire infrastructure is "just different", then I think that's a serious issue.
You can't achieve proper performance on a machine which is essentially all-new - developers had whole years to get used to the devkits of the 360 and the PS3, how long did they get with the WiiU? A few months, at best, and even then the devkit was surely updated a few times.

Let's face it - performance-wise, the WiiU is not a huge step up from the previous generation, we knew that before it was released. I remember people crying all over the forums that the PS3 is going to die due to how hard programming for a CELL-based machine apparently was and look at it now - a few SDK updates later and it sold nearly as well as the 360 and continues to get new games.

It takes quite a while to port a whole engine of the size and complexity of Unreal to a new platform - I'm not suprised by the issues concerning framerate. I'm slightly more bothered by texture streaming issues, but I understand where they stem from - this is the legacy of the XBox 360 and the PS3 which had to resort to those tricks due to low total capacity of memory - the WiiU doesn't have to.

I maintain my previous statement from before the console was released - it's an incredible shame that the console has no HDD. It would affordable and it would allow Data Installs, which *would* improve overall performance and it's too late to implement that kind of a change since the system can only accept external drives, and sending all that data over USB defeats the purpose of even trying to avoid the BluRay... but I digress.

I'm going to observe the WiiU's case and I wish Nintendo all the best, but I can't help feeling as if this was just not Nintendo's territory, still. Whenever they created hardware that was up-to-par, it had one or two fatal flaws, rendering the effort useless in the long run - let's hope that won't be the case this time.

Reactions: Sterling

WoJjTeK

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'd not judge Wii U capatibilities looking just on those launch titles, especially ports. They didn't rewrite whole games for this system, they just made it compatibile , so don't expect your TV flying. First ps3 games also didn't look as good as for example Uncharted 3 or God Of War 3. I think we should look mainly at Wii U-only games right now ( ZombiU anyone? ) , and the true and full potential of Wii U will be shown by Nintendo game made from scratch ( Ninja Gaiden 3 doesn't count - it's a modified game not a new game).

//EDIT
And I do agree that Nintendo failed a bit at 3rd-party-friendly-console thingy. I guess they will improve it though.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What are you saying?
I don't remember any reports from the 3DS or the Vita saying that games were performing badly with weird framerates and sad lighting.
And why would you compare handhelds to the Wii U?
What I meant was that games start getting on par with the specs once the devs get to know the devkit as they know the old ones. The latter post explains a bit more (just a post or two below the first one). For example if you compare the first PS3 games with the newer ones, you'll notice quite a jump in a) graphics, b) game engines c) game play d) use of the controller etc.

EDIT: Ninjas gonna ninja..

Reactions: ThatDudeWithTheFood

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The thread title says "slow ram speed", yet the source thread admits that the RAM "speed" of the Wii U isn't known, and for comparison lists some numbers for the 360/PS3 that are the max theoretical bandwidth, not the RAM's operating frequency.

This smells like bullshit.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The thread title says "slow ram speed", yet the source thread admits that the RAM "speed" of the Wii U isn't known, and for comparison lists some numbers for the 360/PS3 that are the max theoretical bandwidth, not the RAM's operating frequency.

Yeppers.

Until the entire kit is connected to proper equipment that could analyze data flow, we can only guess how the system works.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Well what about checking the frequency of the crystals and comparing the possible multipliers on the buses to see which combinations produce the proper operating frequencies for the system in general? This is assuming that the actual operating frequencies are known, though, and that the CPU doesn't have some fancy stepping stuff... and it might only give a range of possible operating frequencies for the RAM.

Then again, RAM "speed" generally matters jack shit for gaming anyways, which is another hint that this "report" is full of crap. People are just seeing shitty first-come titles (like how Super Mario World used half-size palettes) and trying to look up excuses why that don't relate to rushed development.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really like the topic

That's just great, this is what we get for believing things from Neogaf

D

Deleted_171835

This thread reeks of such bullshit that I could smell it all the way from DS-Scene.

But the whole thing with the Wii U was it was "developer friendly" and that Nintendo could finally get in on the Xbox 360/PS3 territory of gaming. If you're having issues porting an engine like UE3 because your entire infrastructure is "just different", then I think that's a serious issue.
Do I even have to bring up the PS3's early years? It takes time for devs to fully understand a system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: 4.90 ? 4.90.1?