(Shocking) Wii U News, Slow RAM speed and ports issues.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the butthert is strong in this one. you'd think with this thread being posted by heartgold you'd be a little less "omgsomeonesaidsomethingbadaboutnintendo"

butthert for lazy ports yeah. It is sad that people got this to play ports when you can get better deals in current consoles.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once games start rolling out after the launch, we'll see how it compared to current gen consoles. This is probably nothing new and has happened with all consoles so far (3DS and PSVita being the latest).
What are you saying?
I don't remember any reports from the 3DS or the Vita saying that games were performing badly with weird framerates and sad lighting.
And why would you compare handhelds to the Wii U?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you saying?
I don't remember any reports from the 3DS or the Vita saying that games were performing badly with weird framerates and sad lighting.

Most of the Vita ports were pretty well received too. Just sticking that out there.

Only game I can think of that could have a "mediocre" port was Mortal Kombat for it's cruddy visuals but it still ran at a solid 60fps and the whole game plus another challenge tower are in the package, so I'd say it's made up for.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be agreeing with Foxi and that other poster (the last one on the first page). It's likely the individual RAM speeds don't matter as much if they're done similarly to the GC. That and the near ancient hardware the other consoles are on prevents these ports from being the best they can be. When the console gets the stuff that isn't rushed for launch it should get better.

Reactions: Foxi4

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know all the ins-and-outs of CPU architecture, but isn't the Wii U's CPU completely different from the PS360's? Like the way it handles instruction and whatnot? And don't we think it's gonna focus more on GPGPU stuff, where the GPU does more work than just graphics? Don't take these games' performance to heart, wait till people actually learn to code for this thing.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What are you saying?

mgs110.jpg

I'm still stuck in a dream of solid 30 fps...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know all the ins-and-outs of CPU architecture, but isn't the Wii U's CPU completely different from the PS360's? Like the way it handles instruction and whatnot? And don't we think it's gonna focus more on GPGPU stuff, where the GPU does more work than just graphics? Don't take these games' performance to heart, wait till people actually learn to code for this thing.

Although it's not too comforting to hear "People just don't know how to use the system yet!" Multiplat releases aren't going to wait and it may turn off a lot of PS3/Xbox 360 multiplats from joining the Wii U as well. I mean if it's having issues running an Unreal Engine 3 game then that's a serious issue.

I'm sure games built from the ground-up work well enough but not a lot of multiplat devs are going to completely rebuild their games from the ground-up just for the Wii U when the PS3/Xbox 360 has a huge install base that's easy to develop and port for already.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although it's not too comforting to hear "People just don't know how to use the system yet!" Multiplat releases aren't going to wait and it may turn off a lot of PS3/Xbox 360 multiplats from joining the Wii U as well. I mean if it's having issues running an Unreal Engine 3 game then that's a serious issue.

I'm sure games built from the ground-up work well enough but not a lot of multiplat devs are going to completely rebuild their games from the ground-up just for the Wii U when the PS3/Xbox 360 has a huge install base that's easy to develop and port for already.
Honestly, I'm sure ports from current consoles will never be "built completely from the ground up". Back when the 360 first came out, many devs just didn't make great use of the System. Turok looks awesome to this day, but CoD Modern Warfare does not. The CoD series is not known for the best looking game. I'm sure with a bit of tweaking, devs of all sizes will be making grander use of the Wii U.

Besides, Black Ops 2 is trash compared to the other Call of Duty games thus far. Crap maps, bad spawn (even worse than previous ones), and MW3 netcode done even worse.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I'm sure ports from current consoles will never be "built completely from the ground up". Back when the 360 first came out, many devs just didn't make great use of the System. Turok looks awesome to this day, but CoD Modern Warfare does not. The CoD series is not known for the best looking game. I'm sure with a bit of tweaking, devs of all sizes will be making grander use of the Wii U.

But the question is: why would devs invest the time and money into taking special care of Wii U versions of their games when it's so much easier to sell it to the larger Xbox 360/PS3 install base?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the question is: why would devs invest the time and money into taking special care of Wii U versions of their games when it's so much easier to sell it to the larger Xbox 360/PS3 install base?
Well, the old phrase "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" comes to mind easily. Why do any businesses try new things? Obviously anything with the Nintendo brand attached will sell, so they may as well get started now since they have zero excuses related to shit hardware like with the Wii. Basic business sense Guild.

That and if EA succeeds in selling ME3 for full price, the Wii U really will let Devs "print money" with ports of old games.

Reactions: LightyKD

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Besides, Black Ops 2 is trash compared to the other Call of Duty games thus far. Crap maps, bad spawn (even worse than previous ones), and MW3 netcode done even worse.
I think I get what you're saying, but your example makes no sense whatsoever. Turok came a year after CoD4 and still had the "everything is shiny = good graphics" bullshit going. CoD4 still looks good today especially considering it came out over 5 years ago... Have you played both of these games?

Well, the old phrase "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" comes to mind easily. Why do any businesses try new things?
except...the gaming industry hasn't exactly been keen on trying new things the past two generations.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I get what you're saying, but your example makes no sense whatsoever. Turok came a year after CoD4 and still had the "everything is shiny = good graphics" bullshit going. CoD4 still looks good today especially considering it came out over 5 years ago... Have you played both of these games?
Yes, and unless I'm mistaken, Turok was a launch title for the 360. BRB, checking my releases.

Oh, I am very much mistaken. My bad. 08 does not coincide with the 360 launch.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Wow just wow.

So not only is the wii u incapable of outputting full HD 3D graphics natively, it cant even stand toe to toe with the ps3 and 360 graphically? That's really incredibly sad I feel sorry for all the suckers who took Nintendo at their word and were stabbed in the back yet again by supporting them early. :/

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why we're really using Turok or even discussing the Xbox 360 here. If we can look back at it's launch titles and early games and say "They still look and perform well", that's a testament to the system. If we look back at these games 5 years from now and still realize how bad they were performing, that's not exactly good.

Wow just wow.

So not only is the wii u incapable of outputting full HD 3D graphics natively, it cant even stand toe to toe with the ps3 and 360 graphically? That's really incredibly sad I feel sorry for all the suckers who took Nintendo at their word and were stabbed in the back yet again by supporting them early. :/

Tumblr_m67mxu5BHx1r4hwmoo1_500.gif

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's still the beginning of the console, so let's not expect it running better than xbox360/ps3

even though the graphics aren't that good for m.f. games, I'm sure that they will do great on games such as smash bros 4.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't get a WiiU to blow my mind visually, nor play ports of bad games I can just run on my PC/360/PS3.
It's more powerful than the Wii, and that's all that really matters. I don't really care how powerful it is compared to other consoles.
Anyone getting a nintendo console for the power is doing it wrong.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
except...the gaming industry hasn't exactly been keen on trying new things the past two generations.

Why should they? Same hardware plus all the money from the people who buy stuff doesn't provide much incentive to do new things. Now they have to since the Wii U is totally new hardware. I really don't see your point. The tried and true shit don't make games bad at all, but a new console forces new coding practices and proficiency.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah some of us have to stop at x6 not all of us are lucky to stop at x30 like you