(Shocking) Wii U News, Slow RAM speed and ports issues.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by heartgold, Nov 19, 2012.

1. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Slow RAM

It has been reported that Wii U has 2GB of DDR3 RAM and is 43% slower than 360 & PS3 RAM over on neogaf after a teardown.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500362

Game performance

Mass Effect 3, Ninja Gaiden 3, Batman Arkham City, Epic mickey 2, Blops2 have techical issues on the Wii U.

Mass Effect 3:
    Ninja Gaiden 3:
    CODBLOPS2:

Also - Dark10x's comments in the other thread mention the game runs pretty poorly (30 fps in the first level). And it's missing details and has worse lighting.

Wii U
    [​IMG]

X360
    [​IMG]

Read more for other games on - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500078

2. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    I don't expect any good performance out of rushed ports. Can't comment on the memory though.

omgpwn666 likes this.
  3. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I've already canceled my pre-order. Personally there's nothing I want to play. Will wait for the next Zelda or 3D Mario and by then I could pick one for a little cheaper. It's not worth £300 right now and the tech isn't all that good. :P

4. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Once games start rolling out after the launch, we'll see how it compared to current gen consoles. This is probably nothing new and has happened with all consoles so far (3DS and PSVita being the latest).

5. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    If I wanna see what the Wii U can do, I'll wait for Ninty games. Or Capcom. Or Kojima Studios. Not fucking Treyarch.

6. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    Rather disappointing though in early stages most of the rushed out ports aren't all that good, though I would have thought DSII and Batman would have been better executed, since those have been in developement for WiiU for a while now.

Personally I'll get the system for other games but I planned on getting Blops2 for local multiplayer, so I have to see how it turns out. If it's not good I'll get it on PS3.

7. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Biased no? Just like "let's wait for Microsoft games for the PC since MS made the platform". If console maker was the only one making games for the console, there would be only a few games on the console.

Mass Effect has been one of the greatest games regarding graphics, so I'd take that as some kind of measure although it seems to be a bit rushed and of course using a new devkit vs an older one (PS3/360/PC vs new WiiU).

As additional reading on the topic, check the Ars review on the Wii U hardware. It has some interesting points, especially about the GamePads battery life and design decisions (and of course the day one compulsory update for most promised features): http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/...ads-tilt-sensitivity-rocks-two-screen-gaming/

8. ieatpixels

Member ieatpixels GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Hahahahahahahahah! It's next gen, guys!

9. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Welcome to the next generation, everyone! Are you not enthralled, mesmerized, and, yes, entertained?/trollish comment

Honestly, that isn't all that encouraging, but the console did just come out. I'm sure developers will be able to take advantage of the hardware's strengths once they have more time to practice, experiment, and learn about its intricacies. The PS3 went through a similar rough patch at its launch, I remember.

weavile001 and Guild McCommunist like this.
  10. PizzaPino

Member PizzaPino GBAtemp Fan

El Salvador
    is the ram speed maybe less important because they have so much more compared to the ps3 and xbox360 if the games take good use of it?

11. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Didn't Nintendo fund NG3:Not so shitty edition? They certainly publihed it so that sounds rather infuriating a project with Nintendo money has a (what sounds to be) average performance.

12. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    Arguably the best-looking Wii games are Mario Galaxies, maybe MH: Tri. RE4 was probably the best-looking GCN game. Peace Walkers looks incredible, as does Revegeance, MGS3, MGS4. Maybe slightly biased, but you can't argue these games look bad considering the hardware.

13. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    It will gradually become less important as newer titles are made for the system - these are just ports of console titles. The code of those games was created to use scarce memory resources and rely on "computing tricks" to avoid hardware limitations - said "tricks" have not yet formed for the WiiU, which is a new system. In other words, they weren't "made" to take advantage of what the WiiU has to offer, and as such, they do not represent the system's horsepower.

I would reserve judgement until titles that were programmed with the WiiU in mind from the start are released - Bayonetta 2, for instance. Anything that is ported straight from the 360/PS3 to the WiiU will have issues until the firmware and the SDK are polished.

kenjixx and Sterling like this.
  14. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    God I have just an entire list of awesome troll statements to make that'd send the Nintendo brigade straight overboard but I can't peg which one I should choose...

Microsoft doesn't "make" the PC, they make the OS for (most) PCs.

15. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    Coming 2014
    The newest installment in Hewlett-Packard's epic "Printer Wars" series
    "Printer Wars 4: Out of Toner"

air2004, Wizerzak and finkmac like this.
  16. Valwin

Banned Valwin The Neautral Gamer

United States
    ok so what is new here ? lazy ports; what is so shocking bout that ? oh ok if you buy this system to play more that 1 year old ports you're dumb

also nextgen right guys ;o;

17. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    the butthert is strong in this one. you'd think with this thread being posted by heartgold you'd be a little less "omgsomeonesaidsomethingbadaboutnintendo"

18. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Interesting and very elaborate angle in calling Nintendo fans dumb there.

2ndApex, Joe88, Valwin and 2 others like this.
  19. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    A few things now that I've read a bit more:
    1. That NeoGAF thread is hilarious. Just people going "EA FUCKING SUCKS" even though they put one game that's one of these "bad ports".
    2. You can write off a game or two as a "lazy port" but when EVERY game is a lazy port, perhaps it's not just "lazy ports".
    3. Lol

20. crediar

Member crediar Possiblenator

Japan
    The WiiU has 4x512MB RAM which are very likely interleaved allowing much higher transfer rates than those neogaf guys claim.
    Nintendo did this on the GC/Wii aswell.

Sterling, 2ndApex, soulx and 3 others like this.