ROM Hack Shining Force Feather Translation

steve husch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is this project still going or done as its now 2016, ive seen translated rom in romuniverse floating around but setting it to members only is very wrong if its real

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's false, this project kinda died because I went on a big break and no one really cared about it, I had a hard time finding translators and I'm prioritize project that are almost done before going back on it.

• Sad
Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

luckymouse0

Mad Scientist
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Argentina
I am interested in this menu translation from this post https://gbatemp.net/threads/shining-force-feather-translation.136382/:

Proof of concept:
jhjhg.png

Gotta find the font :/

I decompressed the rom and found the items, story, battles, etc...
BUT couldn't find the command menu texts!

Can someone point me a direction to search for them? (I mean, only the name of the file .pac is good).

StorMyu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
As you saw, the game doesn't support a good variable-width font. I was going to deal with it but no translator ever stayed more than a week with me on that game so I kinda lost interest.
Everything is fairly simple in terms of file system if you know a bit what you're doing, but even then, it'll look awful without some asm hack.

Every file is changeable right now thanks to PleoNex and Hackotedelaplaque who helped me a long time ago as you can see here:

fef4c758d1.png

And with some change from my previous Tales of the Tempest project and some help from a friend I could add FMV subtitle via ASM hacking into Shining Force Feather:

the only thing that need for this project is:

1. A dedicated translator
2. Me and my motivation to add vwf into the game + fix bugs and whatnot.

I will not settle for a menu patch, it's counter productive and I've played this game entirely without any menu patch, it's really not that hard to understand.

luckymouse0

Mad Scientist
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Argentina
As you saw, the game doesn't support a good variable-width font. I was going to deal with it but no translator ever stayed more than a week with me on that game so I kinda lost interest.
Everything is fairly simple in terms of file system if you know a bit what you're doing, but even then, it'll look awful without some asm hack.

Every file is changeable right now thanks to PleoNex and Hackotedelaplaque who helped me a long time ago as you can see here:

fef4c758d1.png

And with some change from my previous Tales of the Tempest project and some help from a friend I could add FMV subtitle via ASM hacking into Shining Force Feather:

the only thing that need for this project is:

1. A dedicated translator
2. Me and my motivation to add vwf into the game + fix bugs and whatnot.

I will not settle for a menu patch, it's counter productive and I've played this game entirely without any menu patch, it's really not that hard to understand.

Hey I know you won't settle, I have argue with you before :)
I respect your decision! I'm not going to start asking for patch or something, I want to do it myself.

I am not a translator rather a hobbist :) So that's why I ask for the specific location of these words! My intention is to start a translation alone, just for learning process!

Can you please tell me where they are, if not then i will wait for someone to answer... :)

luckymouse0

Mad Scientist
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Argentina
oh, those menu command you're looking for are in the arm9 file iirc.

I will look into it! Thanks! :)

EDIT 1: Simple search didn't bring any results :(

EDIT 2: Didn't know if I should double post... I hope StorMyu or someone else can give me a hand sbout this.

First, you were right and wrong at the same time about arm9.bin :wacko:

The command menu text wasn't in the arm9.bin file that was inside the rom BUT it was in the arm9.bin extracted from the emulator... :wtf:

The arm9.bin extracted using desmume is bigger than the arm9.bin inside the rom and you know what is missing... that text :(

YAZrOJg.png

What can I do about this? How can I translate something I don't have before the execution? :unsure:

Last edited by luckymouse0,

StorMyu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's just compressed it's not uncommon, You can use crystaltile 2 or maybe DSLazy I think, frankly I'm not even sure anymore since I have my own tools for that.
but there's plenty of program to get you the arm9.bin like you want it to be.

Reactions: luckymouse0

luckymouse0

Mad Scientist
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Argentina
It's just compressed it's not uncommon, You can use crystaltile 2 or maybe DSLazy I think, frankly I'm not even sure anymore since I have my own tools for that.
but there's plenty of program to get you the arm9.bin like you want it to be.

Thanks for your answer! I waited from yesterday but it was worth it :)

I will try those and see what happen!

EDIT: Couldn't find the text using crystaltile and DSLazy :'(

I can decompress part of it but didn't find the Command menu :(
If someone can lend me a hand I will be grateful.

Hiasobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, just posting here to say that I am available as a translator. I saw that the previous translators ended up flaking out on you guys, which sucks. But, if you decide to renew the project in the future, and want to place your trust in a total stranger, I have nothing to do in my free time so I would absolutely love to donate some effort towards this.

Last edited by Hiasobi,

luckymouse0

Mad Scientist
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Argentina
Hey, just posting here to say that I am available as a translator. I saw that the previous translators ended up flaking out on you guys, which sucks. But, if you decide to renew the project in the future, and want to place your trust in a total stranger, I have nothing to do in my free time so I would absolutely love to donate some effort towards this.

This project need help to reborn :)

StorMyu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It is, but if I find any motivation to get back to my old files if there's still a translator available I'll be happy to work on it.
The thing is, translation was supposed to be worked on but nothing came so I kinda lost motivation myself because I had tons of other project.

• Wow

TheGuyMadeOfTofu

Trophies
XP
Country
It is, but if I find any motivation to get back to my old files if there's still a translator available I'll be happy to work on it.
The thing is, translation was supposed to be worked on but nothing came so I kinda lost motivation myself because I had tons of other project.
Well thats a damn shame. Game looks pretty solid.

StorMyu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well thats a damn shame. Game looks pretty solid.
I agree, but if there's no one to translate it, it can't be helped. We had the same issue with Tales of Rebirth, it's been a super while but no one is really here to translate (actually there's someone working on it so slowly we don't know if it'll ever come out)

Reactions: Pablitox

riesyukira

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree, but if there's no one to translate it, it can't be helped. We had the same issue with Tales of Rebirth, it's been a super while but no one is really here to translate (actually there's someone working on it so slowly we don't know if it'll ever come out)

I came by hoping for some good news but dang... Talk about a double kill.. I have been anticipating Rebirth for a very very very very very very V.E.R.Y long time and haaahhh... I'm crushed literally just wow jeez I don't even know how to react or what to say/type anymore wew.... I think I'm gonna lay down for a while and contemplate over this for a few days..

Damn..this got me where it truly hurts dood...

Englishsubs4all

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the problem you're having getting translators for this game boils down to the fact that it's just not that good.

That said, why not release the tools into the public domain? That way, an interested translator can just pick it up.

Reactions: luckymouse0

StorMyu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I came by hoping for some good news but dang... Talk about a double kill.. I have been anticipating Rebirth for a very very very very very very V.E.R.Y long time and haaahhh... I'm crushed literally just wow jeez I don't even know how to react or what to say/type anymore wew.... I think I'm gonna lay down for a while and contemplate over this for a few days..

Damn..this got me where it truly hurts dood...

Rebirth is gonna come, it's my first project so I'll see it to the end (also most of the game is translated btw I just need to get the team back together for a rush but it's not that easy ^^)

I think the problem you're having getting translators for this game boils down to the fact that it's just not that good.

That said, why not release the tools into the public domain? That way, an interested translator can just pick it up.

Shining Force Feather needs some asm works before anything can be translated, I need to add a vwf + add Ascii recognition (because right now it doesn't so it only support shift-jis which is a pain because it uses double the size)
So even if I made the tools public, there will be a need for someone who knows asm hack and add what is needed first. It's not that simple ^^

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Rebirth is gonna come, it's my first project so I'll see it to the end (also most of the game is translated btw I just need to get the team back together for a rush but it's not that easy ^^)

Shining Force Feather needs some asm works before anything can be translated, I need to add a vwf + add Ascii recognition (because right now it doesn't so it only support shift-jis which is a pain because it uses double the size)
So even if I made the tools public, there will be a need for someone who knows asm hack and add what is needed first. It's not that simple ^^

Wow hey I was gonna suggest Deepl for this and yandex image translator but reading your comment it appears you needed more of a advance tool? ..which I wonder if you've tried the tools that were made by the community here?? O.o

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup