Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey (new DS SMT game)

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
The latest Famitsu is here, and it's bringing info about a new DS Shin Megami Tensei game: Strange Journey.

QUOTE said:
- Coming in Oct 8, 6279 yen
- more than 300 types of demons, including from past games
- main character is a soldier born in Japan
- you can communicate with demons, as well as merge them
- The system is in 1st person view (upper screen)with map display (lower screen) like EO series

scans on : http://wiieveryday.blogspot.com/2009/07/fa...u-20090724.html

details are from neogaf.

GenesisX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awesome.. wonder what story line will be on this
ohmy.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
ReverseFate said:
Wow nice, a J-RPG that doesn't star a bunch of snooty kids! The battle system seems kinda like Dragon Quest. While I'm not familiar with the Shin Megami Tensei series, are the battle systems always like this in previous games?

Original SMT games were first person dungeon crawlers.

QUOTE(Rock Raiyu @ Jul 22 2009, 04:39 AM) Wow, and only 6 months after Devil Survivor was released. Either its poor, they worked pretty fast, or they've been working with this alongside it.

Probably along side, or they worked pretty quickly. I doubt they wouldn't have put effort into it.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nice, looking forward to it and good god another $63 game for import first Idolmaster now this, I'm suspecting this will sell in Japan like bread and butter. I still remember when most new DS games were $45-50 US in Japan.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
ReverseFate said:
Wow nice, a J-RPG that doesn't star a bunch of snooty kids! The battle system seems kinda like Dragon Quest. While I'm not familiar with the Shin Megami Tensei series, are the battle systems always like this in previous games?
Yes, well, in the older ones anyway, since SMT3 has a more modern combat system.
(This announcement makes me wish the SNES' SMTs and MTs were playable on SnemulDS :\)

QUOTE(Rock Raiyu @ Jul 21 2009, 11:39 PM) Wow, and only 6 months after Devil Survivor was released. Either its poor, they worked pretty fast, or they've been working with this alongside it.
This game seems to use some sort of hybrid engine between EO and Devil Survivor, which is probably why they "worked pretty fast".

Hachibei

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SWEET, I always wanted to play a traditional SMT game. Couldn't get into the SNES ones because I got a headache from the laggy navigation =/

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
golio514 said:
Rock Raiyu said:
Wow, and only 6 months after Devil Survivor was released. Either its poor, they worked pretty fast, or they've been working with this alongside it.
This game seems to use some sort of hybrid engine between EO and Devil Survivor, which is probably why they "worked pretty fast".

The hell is EO? >_>

Here's the basic overview of the plot. It's very...different.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
golio514 said:
sa1amandra said:
oh god no! NOT ANOTHER DUNGEON CLAWER!!!

Please be a modern RPG
biggrin.gif
It IS a dungeon crawler.
If you want a more modern SMTs go play Persona, Persona 2 IS and EP, P3 and P4.
Yeah I just started getting into SMT. Devil Survivor was actually my first game so I'm going to pickup P3 and P4 soon. Going to see if I can find Persona on PSP and play that as well.

Ontopic: I read more into it and I just may pick this one up since its supposedly how the original played out. I'm going to see how it goes.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Rock Raiyu said:
Yeah I just started getting into SMT. Devil Survivor was actually my first game so I'm going to pickup P3 and P4 soon. Going to see if I can find Persona on PSP and play that as well.

Ontopic: I read more into it and I just may pick this one up since its supposedly how the original played out. I'm going to see how it goes.
By the way I have the impression most people don't know this but, before Shin(New\True) Megami Tensei there was simply Megami Tensei, there are 2 Megami Tensei games for the Famicom(None of which are translated completely, though there is an appearently active translation of a remake of these two for the Super Famicom) the first one is based on a novel which is entirely in japanese called Digital Devil Story BUT you can find translations of it here:
http://ddstranslation.blogspot.com/2007/01...s-table-of.html
There's also a movie adaptation which you can find fan-subbed in the net, which is called Digital Devil(I believe), be warned that it is EXTREMELY graphical in violence(and kinda disturbing too :\) and there's some sexual themes too.
Oh!
There's also a MMORPG that came out a few months ago, and its free to play:
http://megaten.aeriagames.com/

sa1amandra said:
golio514 said:
QUOTE(sa1amandra @ Jul 22 2009, 02:15 PM) oh god no! NOT ANOTHER DUNGEON CLAWER!!!

Please be a modern RPG
biggrin.gif
It IS a dungeon crawler.
If you want a more modern SMTs go play Persona, Persona 2 IS and EP, P3 and P4.
please don't be as tedious as EO D: I needed to grind ever 5 seconds
I'm bet it'll be worse.
I didn't really think EO was THAT hard though.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
golio514 said:
Rock Raiyu said:

By the way I have the impression most people don't know this but, before Shin(New\True) Megami Tensei there was simply Megami Tensei, there are 2 Megami Tensei games for the Famicom(None of which are translated completely, though there is an appearently active translation of a remake of these two for the Super Famicom) the first one is based on a novel which is entirely in japanese called Digital Devil Story BUT you can find translations of it here:
http://ddstranslation.blogspot.com/2007/01...s-table-of.html
There's also a movie adaptation which you can find fan-subbed in the net, which is called Digital Devil(I believe), be warned that it is EXTREMELY graphical in violence(and kinda disturbing too :\) and there's some sexual themes too.
Oh!
There's also a MMORPG that came out a few months ago, and its free to play:
http://megaten.aeriagames.com/

Yeah I knew all this before, I did some research on the whole series and spin-offs to see what games were out. But they no longer call it "Megami Tensei" since they added the Shin to it. Now people regard it as "Shin Megami Tensei" which means "New Goddess Reincarnation". (You're not the only one who knows Japanese
tongue.gif
)

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That demon is so goofy looking and maybe place some spoiler tags on that. If you don't have the option manual put

Code:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill