• Thread starter Zorua
  • Start date
  • Views 3,034
  • Replies 27
Z

Zorua

OP
85-inch-super-hdtv.jpg
Sharp and NHK are showing off the world’s first Super Hi-Vision display, pointing the way to a future where high definition TV will be many times sharper than the HDTV we’re familiar with today.

This 85-inch prototype screen was jointly developed by Sharp Corporation and Japan Broadcasting Corporation (NHK), finally creating a monitor that can display the jaw-dropping ultra-high definition of the Super Hi-Vision format NHK has been working on since 1995.

How high is this Super Hi-Vision’s definition? To give you an idea, today’s HDTV resolution lets you recognize faces in the crowd, where Super Hi-Vision will allow you to determine whether the pupils in the eyes of one of those faces are dilated.

By the numbers, according to Sharp, the TV’s resolution is 16 times higher than a conventional HDTV, with a 33-megapixel screen made up of 7,680 x 4,320 pixels. Compare that with the relatively measly 1,920 x 1,080 pixels of the HDTV we are all so fond of, and you’ll agree that we’re in for a treat.[/p]
icon11.gif
Source
icon24.gif
Video

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Blaze163 said:
All well and good but aside from Doctor Who on a Saturday night there's still fuck all on.

+1. Such a shame a kiddies show is the most high brow thing on telly right now too.

Still, for the home this is pointless. The majority of people working on the standard say that too. It's meant for truly massive displays outdoors, at stadiums, etc.

EDIT: Also I will never have a TV bigger than 40 inch in the living room where I live. Even HD at that size brings no benefit to TV shows or films unless you're sat with your nose touching the screen. So you'll end up with another TV that's only an improvement for gaming.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
True, most TV channels suck major balls. There's not much going on that isn't just dumbing you down.

But for movies this display would be the shit. Yummy. ;)

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nothing will be able to take advantage of that resolution in current regards to data handling, through storage and transfer.

That resolution is out of the grasp of the public, this sort of footage is what is used in film production, like the reel that is projected in Cinemas. The filesize of those sorts of productions is ludicrous, and currently things like blu-rays and existing television connections could not handle that kind of data

Still this is an important landmark, we won't be able to make use of this for a very long time, but that time will come in the future

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt that kind of resolution would make much of a difference on a 40 in. display. Your tv would have to be massive in order to see much of a difference.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tonitonichopchop said:
I doubt that kind of resolution would make much of a difference on a 40 in. display. Your tv would have to be massive in order to see much of a difference.
It's pretty much the same deal as printing paper, if you can print an image in THAT fine of a detail, then under close observation, maybe with a magnifying lens, you'll be able to observe the detail.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Tonitonichopchop said:

Yep. Like 85 inch
biggrin.gif

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
You must have a MASSIVE living room to hold this beast.

Also, I wonder how much will this TV cost... ¥750,000?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
Blaze163 said:
All well and good but aside from Doctor Who on a Saturday night there's still fuck all on.

+1. Such a shame a kiddies show is the most high brow thing on telly right now too.
Doctor Who is NOT a kids show anymore. Its just damned good entertainment (mostly, Curse of the Black SPot was meh and Moffat needs to stop killing Rory)

As for this display. HOLY CRAP! I've got a 15" full HD screen sitting in front of me right now, it more than satisfies anything I'd ever need. My brother has a monitor which is slightly better than HD in his room that's 22/24" and that's insanely lovely and sharp. How would you ever need anything this high res? And how big would the video files in its native res have to be?
ohnoes.png

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I thought they decided that the next resolution will be 4096 x 2160 pixels for D-cinéma 4K and 3840 x 2160 for the TV (THD).

I guess they skipped that resolution and they went up to 4,320p directly!
Like RupeeClock said, the challenge now will be storage and broadcast.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
Doctor Who is NOT a kids show anymore. Its just damned good entertainment (mostly, Curse of the Black SPot was meh and Moffat needs to stop killing Rory)

? It's getting more kiddyish every series. Tennants Doctor made it a bit edgier for a while but it's getting more "kids show the whole family can enjoy" all the time with Matt Smith as the Doctor.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
Jamstruth said:

? It's getting more kiddyish every series. Tennants Doctor made it a bit edgier for a while but it's getting more "kids show the whole family can enjoy" all the time with Matt Smith as the Doctor.
I refer you to a single episode. Love and Monsters. a Tennant episode (Tennant-lite mind) with a monster a kid designed.

I like the new series, the opening episodes were definitely not kiddish, they were quite dark really.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Love and Monsters sucked. Hard.

Plenty of the eps from Tennant, and a few from Smith have been not altogether kid friendly. If not starkly inappropriate, at least very frightening.

Edit: I didn't mention Eccleston because his series would terrify any kid.
Are you my mommy?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc