Shantae GBC not that great ?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by yuyuyup, Oct 24, 2010.

Oct 24, 2010

Shantae GBC not that great ? by yuyuyup at 8:35 PM (1,104 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. yuyuyup
    OP

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Since the sequel just came out on DSiware, I tried GBC Shantae because it is critically acclaimed. I thought the hit detection was poor, platforming average, even the graphics weren't THAT great. I only played it for 10 minutes. What am I missing ?

2. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    A lot of people were hugely impressed with the sprite animation if I remember correctly...

Also, it's rare apparently.

3. mrgone

Member mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    i tried it.
    sprite animation IS nice, but that does not make a game sell more.
    the rest of the game didn't impress me, i just played for like 5 minutes

4. MarcusRaven

Member MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

United States
    Personally, I love the GBC game. I like the platforming, the 2-d dungeons, and the story. The sprite animation is really nice, and once you get the transformations it gets really interesting. The dance system is fun and original. (Though I'm disappointed they dumbed it down in the sequel. Oh well.) If you only played it 10 minutes, you didn't give it enough of a try. Play through until you get the first transformation at least, play around with that, and then decide.

5. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    In the original there is a bit of a problem with the hit detection with her hair. Also, the enemies have to be within 2 pixels of her person to do any damage; her hair is just that short. In the DSiWare game she does have a longer range for her ponytail attack which, to me, made it a lot more tolerable.

MarcusRaven is right though, it does get better as you go along. Just a shaky start.

6. SargeSmash

Member SargeSmash GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I haven't put a lot of time into the GBC one, either, but it's probably more akin to something like the non-linear platformers on the NES, like Simon's Quest. It takes some serious time to get rolling. Now that I've got a better way to play the game emulated without graphics corruption (was using a PSP, now I've got a netbook to use), I might make some progress.

The DSiWare game, on the other hand, is much closer in structure to the Monster World games, particularly Monster World IV. It's excellent stuff, and shouldn't be missed.

7. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    It's great for a GBC game but we're pretty far removed from the venerable GBC

8. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Taste?