yuyuyup

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since the sequel just came out on DSiware, I tried GBC Shantae because it is critically acclaimed. I thought the hit detection was poor, platforming average, even the graphics weren't THAT great. I only played it for 10 minutes. What am I missing ?

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thaddius said:
A lot of people were hugely impressed with the sprite animation if I remember correctly...

Also, it's rare apparently.

i tried it.
sprite animation IS nice, but that does not make a game sell more.
the rest of the game didn't impress me, i just played for like 5 minutes

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I love the GBC game. I like the platforming, the 2-d dungeons, and the story. The sprite animation is really nice, and once you get the transformations it gets really interesting. The dance system is fun and original. (Though I'm disappointed they dumbed it down in the sequel. Oh well.) If you only played it 10 minutes, you didn't give it enough of a try. Play through until you get the first transformation at least, play around with that, and then decide.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
In the original there is a bit of a problem with the hit detection with her hair. Also, the enemies have to be within 2 pixels of her person to do any damage; her hair is just that short. In the DSiWare game she does have a longer range for her ponytail attack which, to me, made it a lot more tolerable.

MarcusRaven is right though, it does get better as you go along. Just a shaky start.

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't put a lot of time into the GBC one, either, but it's probably more akin to something like the non-linear platformers on the NES, like Simon's Quest. It takes some serious time to get rolling. Now that I've got a better way to play the game emulated without graphics corruption (was using a PSP, now I've got a netbook to use), I might make some progress.

The DSiWare game, on the other hand, is much closer in structure to the Monster World games, particularly Monster World IV. It's excellent stuff, and shouldn't be missed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr