Hacking ShadowNAND?

ChaosRipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I enjoy a console that looks stock as well, because it blows people's minds even further.

I prefer my console to look close to stock as well, except through Emunand and not Sysnand. I also don't feel comfortable when certain buttons can trigger certain functionality while turning on the 3DS. That's why I have my own modified version of Reinand with almost all functionality removed except booting into Emunand (yes, even signature patches are removed). For those wondering why I even use CFW, well it's because I'd like to hack my savegames while being able to go online. I do like the idea of "install and forget" that SaltFW has because that's all I really want to do, install and forget. But that's just my preference and I'm only one person. Lol.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Edited my response post. I'm giving you a nice 45% for effort and speed, which is just enough for passing grade.

(of course it's all a joke but some of the stuff you said made me cringe...)
KK, last response about my essay before I go too off-topic.
6. Well, it still has a better boot time, and it's even better when you have a lot of games on your menu. Definitely noticeable. Note that I was in favor of SaltFW on this one.
7. That's what I said. SaltFW is simpler for people to use.
8. Another mistake, as as far as I knew, ShadowNAND is just SaltFW on NAND. But yeah, I was thinking of SaltFW and ShadowNAND as one during that time.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edited my response post. I'm giving you a nice 45% for effort and speed, which is just enough for passing grade.

(of course it's all a joke but some of the stuff you said made me cringe...)

chainloader: This is a decision on my end to keep it clean. It's a "Custom Firmware", not a "custom bootloader".

I couldn't agree with this more. I would probably be using SaltFW right now if it not for the fact that I am an emuNAND user. I like being as close to stock as possible so for me it would be a choice of ReiNand and SaltFW. ReiNand if it had AGB/TWL patching without needing to install patched AGB/TWL cias to sysNAND and emuNAND. SaltFW if it had emuNand support.

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
KK, last response before I go too off-topic.
6. Well, it still has a better boot time, and it's even better when you have a lot of games on your menu. Definitely noticeable. Note that I was in favor of SaltFW on this one.
7. That's what I said. SaltFW is simpler for people to use.
8. Another mistake, as as far as I know, SaltFW is what ShadowNAND is, just on NAND. But yeah, I was thinking of SaltFW and ShadowNAND as one during that time.
Yeah I know that you've been on SaltFW's side, but all in all, what you said didn't really resonate your reasoning: "Why SaltFW is bad if you're using the console seriously."

I am using my 3DS to the max right now. I've even streamed Ace Attorney in the past two nights in a row using NTR. I just find that what you said is a little uneducated (which I'm saying with zero offense).

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Shadowhand What exatly does ShadowNAND stages payloads?
Does It looks for "arm9loaderhax.bin" on the SD and if isn't there or not SD dectected will boot ShadoNAND?
I'm thinking about it because I want to have ShadowNAND installed and have the possibility to traste another CFW alternatives.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I know that you've been on SaltFW's side, but all in all, what you said didn't really resonate your reasoning: "Why SaltFW is bad if you're using the console seriously."

I am using my 3DS to the max right now. I've even streamed Ace Attorney in the past two nights in a row using NTR. I just find that what you said is a little uneducated (which I'm saying with zero offense).

I said that as it's just the principle of removing features, isn't good for someone like me. I notice the extra clock speed on my 3DS all the time, and it's great that I don't have to launch NTR each time I want to increase it. It's like the only way to watch videos on Rin's VCC. This is definitely one of my most liked enhancements.

I also always use Luma3DS as a simple chainloader because a bootmanager brings complications, has its own dedicated files and configs, and ultimately is unnecessary when you could just use one thing to boot another thing instead of one thing that can boot a thing that can already boot other things simpler and faster.

Luma also has more firmware checks disabled.

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Shadowhand What exatly does ShadowNAND stages payloads?
Does It looks for "arm9loaderhax.bin" on the SD and if isn't there or not SD dectected will boot ShadoNAND?
I'm thinking about it because I want to have ShadowNAND installed and have the possibility to traste another CFW alternatives.
Right now, if you install ShadowNAND with my fork of SafeA9LHInstaller, it works like regular A9LH with few exceptions:
1) It'll look for arm9loaderhax.bin, and if it can't find, it'll show an actual error screen that tells you that you don't either have an SD in, or arm9loaderhax.bin in your SD.
2) If you hold DPAD_DOWN, it'll try to boot safe_mode.bin from your SD, which is a nice safety net that prevents a brick if you replace your stage2 with something.

I said that as it's just the principle of removing features, isn't good for someone like me. I notice the extra clock speed on my 3DS all the time, and it's great that I don't have to launch NTR each time I want to increase it. It's like the only way to watch videos on Rin's VCC. This is definitely one of my most liked enhancements.

I also always use Luma3DS as a simple chainloader because a bootmanager brings complications, has its own dedicated files and configs, and ultimately is unnecessary when you could just use one thing to boot another thing instead of one thing that can boot a thing that can already boot other things simpler and faster.

Luma also has more firmware checks disabled.

If Luma's bootloader works for you, perfect. Please keep using it. I can't talk shit about my upstream. And I want to mention, once again, that I don't find Luma bloated. I just don't agree with some of the things it does. And as I said before, if either TuxSH or AuroraWright finds a way to bring per-game CPU speed, I promise you that I'll be adding that so fast.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Right now, if you install ShadowNAND with my fork of SafeA9LHInstaller, it works like regular A9LH with few exceptions:
1) It'll look for arm9loaderhax.bin, and if it can't find, it'll show an actual error screen that tells you that you don't either have an SD in, or arm9loaderhax.bin in your SD.
2) If you hold DPAD_DOWN, it'll try to boot safe_mode.bin from your SD, which is a nice safety net that prevents a brick if you replace your stage2 with something.

If Luma's bootloader works for you, perfect. Please keep using it. I can't talk shit about my upstream. And I want to mention, once again, that I don't find Luma bloated. I just don't agree with some of the things it does. And as I said before, if either TuxSH or AuroraWright finds a way to bring per-game CPU speed, I promise you that I'll be adding that so fast.
Wow, great implementation with safe mode. However, What is the issue by inject a CFW into one of the stages?

Reactions: Halvorsen

Ekaitz

Redhead Believer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Small question, when it'll be ready to launch our CFW from the 3DS itself without a SD card, would it be possible to launch a specific payload from the SD card?

Let's say we use your fork with a NAND-installed CFW. It boots fine, great.

Now, I want to launch let's say Decrypt9 from SD card. Will it be possible to do it?

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Small question, when it'll be ready to launch our CFW from the 3DS itself without a SD card, would it be possible to launch a specific payload from the SD card?

Let's say we use your fork with a NAND-installed CFW. It boots fine, great.

Now, I want to launch let's say Decrypt9 from SD card. Will it be possible to do it?
I don't plan to add a bootloader, but yes, It'll be able to launch payloads from your SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Like not emulating the entire SNES but just a loader and the enhancement chips perhaps even...