Hacking ShadowNAND?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't mean to be rude or anything but what's the point of this? I mean you essentially mod your 3ds to pirate games which are installed on the SD card so yeah. I mean it would be nice I guess but I don't get why this would be any better than the SD card method other than faster boot speed
The same question can be asked of every single CFW. And the simple answer is, because someone wants it and thus they made it.

SaltFW is a minimalism CFW.
I can literally write an entire paragraph on why SaltFW is bad if you're using the console seriously.
It plays games and has all the patches anyone could ever use. What's wrong with that? If anything, this should be the more recommended CFW, as it keeps your 3DS FW close to stock, well giving you the patches you need.
I feel like the Temp's attitude has become, "If it's not Luma3DS, I don't want it."

Last edited by The Catboy,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Yep, I said "update": if you have installed plaza 3.x or 4.x, you can't delete the update to go back to the originals!
I wonder, were those updates even mandatory? Cuz I most certainly have them. :D

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SaltFW is a minimalism CFW.
I can literally write an entire paragraph on why SaltFW is bad if you're using the console seriously.

You developed it; you'd know what it can and can't do between the two CFWs.
Well, I'll write it when I'm on my computer then.

It has nothing to do with me developing it. You said you can write an entire paragraph about why it's bad from your perspective.
In fact, let's make it better, I'm expecting an essay on "why SaltFW is bad if you're using the console seriously".
500 words. You've got time until Monday.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It has nothing to do with me developing it. You said you can write an entire paragraph about why it's bad from your perspective.
In fact, let's make it better, I'm expecting an essay on "why SaltFW is bad if you're using the console seriously".
What does mean "until monday"?
Sorry, I'm feeling hyped

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't mean to be rude or anything but what's the point of this? I mean you essentially mod your 3ds to pirate games which are installed on the SD card so yeah. I mean it would be nice I guess but I don't get why this would be any better than the SD card method other than faster boot speed
Ultimate hack would be one that completely fly's under the radar; undetectable to 3rd parties, no config option, no cfw files on the SD card.

Pure 100% stealth!

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
The same question can be asked of every single CFW. And the simple answer is, because someone wants it and thus they made it.

It plays games and has all the patches anyone could ever use. What's wrong with that? If anything, this should be the more recommended CFW, as it keeps your 3DS FW close to stock, well giving you the patches you need.
I feel like the Temp's attitude has become, "If it's not Luma3DS, I don't want it."
lolwut? I hacked my system to get as far away from stock as possible.

Reactions: Faolan

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
lolwut? I hacked my system to get as far away from stock as possible.
That's your personally. My boyfriend wanted his 3DS to look and feel stock, well still being able to play backed up games.
I personally enjoy messing around with different CFW's.
Regardless, this is all a matter of personal opinion.

Last edited by The Catboy,

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I agree, it seems it's Luma3DS or the highway on the GBATEmp forums. Personally I like Luma3DS, ReiNand, SaltFW and the new CFW on the block Corbenik (no disrespect to CakesFW, I didn't list it as I have almost no experience with it). I like features of each. For example I like the AGB/TWL feature of Luma3DS, I like the minimalistic approach of ReiNand, I like how SaltFW removed the chainloader feature of Luma3DS, I like the new bytecode approach of Corbenik. Currently I am using Corbenik as it has the features of Luma3DS without the chainloader (I would probably be using SaltFW if it had emuNAND). I would love to use ReiNand for everything but unfortunately I do not want to use patched AGB/TWL cias on sysNAND/emuNAND so that is why I default to Corbenik. If @Reisyukaku adds AGB/TWL patching in the future I will probably (almost definitely use ReiNand as it fits the bill for what I desire). All CFW mentioned here are excellent and fully functional. My desire is just one opinion among many in which each user must ask themselves which CFW gives them what features they desire for their CFW. I ramble when I get excited and for that I am sorry.

Last edited by stl25,
Reactions: Cap'n Josh

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
It's to be taken as a joke, this stuff below. Haha.
SaltFW and Luma3DS - The Illuminated NaCl comparison
Luma3DS's impact on our hacking scene have drastically shaken up the Nintendo 3DS scene as we know it, being the first to utilize Arm9LoaderHax, a boottime hack run milliseconds off the 3DS boot using the arm9 processor. Although Luma3DS (known as AuReiNAND at the time) isn't the only custom firmware to support arm9loaderhax (informally referred to as a9lh from this point on), it is still one of the best implemented. A few other custom firmware authors have decided to modify Luma3DS's source (while Luma3DS itself is a spinoff, or fork, of ReiNAND) to spread functionality and usability not found in Luma3DS.
I will soon compare two popular custom firmware options, Luma3DS, and SaltFW, which is based off of Luma3DS and provides a minimalistic experience suitable for children and non-developers. While SaltFW is great for the intended audience, personally, it isn't suitable for ones who want full functionality out of their system. As intended, SaltFW scraps some of Luma3DS's functionality. However, its developer, @Shadowhand, is in the process of writing a modified version of a9lh which includes permanent SaltFW custom firmware, which is great for people who don't use the SD Card in their system at all times, including myself.

However, as expected with a permanent CFW solution, one may want change, or options. Luma3DS has functionality such as extended firmware.bin support (for using devices with lower native firmwares), new 3DS clock speed enabler, anti-downgrade checks, an entire development version, and even a built-in chainloader. These are nowhere to be found in SaltFW, for obvious reasons. Luma3DS can also utilize emulated NAND and redirected NAND paths, a safety net for developers and the paranoid. There is a version string included with Luma to tell whether the user is in SYSnand or EMUnand.

However, SaltFW features a better boot time and ease of use. There are no config files to mess around with and an update is rarely imperative. It also saves a few features from Luma, such as language emulation and splash screens. Perfect for minimalists or as a way to launch a system without an SD Card inserted, as with a9lh, it is currently impossible to launch the console without an SD.

The solution? These are two different custom firmwares meant for different audiences. Luma3DS is for people who make the most off of functionality of their console, while SaltFW is for the peeps that want a official-like appearance and use of their 3DS console.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

First of all, you expanded emunand and rednand and other similar technical words to inflate the word count, which looks rather cheap and forced. Even with that, you have written only 277 words, including the title.

Second, "writing a modified version of a9lh which includes permanent SaltFW custom firmware" part is wrong. What I'm writing is another modified Luma to be included in stage2 of A9LH process.

And third, you said SaltFW doesn't have these, so let's take a look at the list, with explanations:
  1. extended firmware.bin support: This is 100% supported, proof: http://i.imgur.com/Bs8SC3X.png)
  2. using devices with lower native firmwares (Also 100% supported, it's possible to boot 9.x firmware with SaltFW 2.0b
  3. anti-downgrade checks: I think you meant Luma's anti-downgrade checks patching, which's not needed since all you have to do to have this in SaltFW is to drop firmware.bin to the root of your SD
  4. development version: Not needed or planned, as developer version literally prevents people from accessing eShop and other online nintendo features, however I'll be adding debug info in the next release.
  5. chainloader: This is a decision on my end to keep it clean. It's a "Custom Firmware", not a "custom bootloader". I personally use CTRBootManager9 to manage my payloads, which not only is capable of button shortcuts, but also has a nice GUI I can choose things from, and even can load files that I haven't put in its config file beforehand with its nice file browser function.
  6. better boot time: Only 0.1s, which is not much.
  7. ease of use/no config files: The main feature of SaltFW. Installation: Drop file, done.

"Perfect for minimalists or as a way to launch a system without an SD Card inserted, as with a9lh, it is currently impossible to launch the console without an SD."

That is wrong on so many levels. SaltFW is still bound to SD. There's a reason why ShadowNAND is not called "SaltNAND". It will have a slightly different feature set.

Final words: Not only did you inflate your word count by having a whooping 101 words in your introduction paragraph that had very little relation to SaltFW, you also expanded technical terms that should not have been, AND you did not even do your research on neither ShadowNAND, nor SaltFW.

All in all, I'm astounded to have read your essay. I can't wait for the remaining 232 words in part 2.

(my response was 316 words, and I did not even expand anything. And no, I'm not a native speaker.)

EDIT: Added new points to my response. Your new word count is 412, including the title. You did not meet your word count limit, and research was shoddy. I'm giving you a nice 45% for effort and speed, which is just enough for passing grade.

EDIT2: fixing my response bumped my word count to a nice and round 400.

(of course it's all a joke but some of the stuff you said made me cringe...)

Last edited by Shadowhand,

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
I enjoy a console that looks stock as well, because it blows people's minds even further.
But my people are blown to Mars when I can "emulate" two other consoles using one system, or have no lag in 3D during Pokemon battles, and use development software and debug handlers.
Oh, Mr. Hand, I have my final exam right here. Did I pass?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

First of all, you expanded emunand and rednand and other similar technical words to inflate the word count, which looks rather cheap and forced. Even with that, you have written only 277 words, including the title.

Second, "writing a modified version of a9lh which includes permanent SaltFW custom firmware" part is wrong. What I'm writing is another modified Luma to be included in stage2 of A9LH process.

And third, you said SaltFW doesn't have these, so let's take a look at the list, with explanations:
  1. extended firmware.bin support: This is 100% supported, proof: http://i.imgur.com/Bs8SC3X.png)
  2. using devices with lower native firmwares (Also 100% supported, it's possible to boot 9.x firmware with SaltFW 2.0b
  3. anti-downgrade checks: I think you meant Luma's anti-downgrade checks patching, which's not needed since all you have to do to have this in SaltFW is to drop firmware.bin to the root of your SD
  4. development version: Not needed or planned, as developer version literally prevents people from accessing eShop and other online nintendo features, however I'll be adding debug info in the next release.
  5. chainloader: This is a decision on my end to keep it clean. It's a "Custom Firmware", not a "custom bootloader". I personally use CTRBootManager9 to manage my payloads, which not only is capable of button shortcuts, but also has a nice GUI I can choose things from, and even can load files that I haven't put in its config file beforehand with its nice file browser function.
Final words: Not only did you inflate your word count by having a whooping 101 words in your introduction paragraph that had very little relation to SaltFW, you also expanded technical terms that should not have been, AND you did not even do your research on neither ShadowNAND, nor SaltFW.

All in all, I'm astounded to have read your essay. I can't wait for the remaining 232 words in part 2.

(my response was 316 words, and I did not even expand anything. And no, I'm not a native speaker.)
Like I said, it was mainly a joke. It wasn't meant to be an actual essay and the words were spelled like that on purpose.
And hold up, I meant "eShop update checks", rather than "anti-downgrade checks". Got them mixed, whoops.
Development version is still an option in Luma, though. Like I said, I specified for people who want to use the console for its maximum potential.
Chainloader: same as above.
Teacher, I have to include background information in essays, my third grade teacher taught me to!
And oh yeah. I do use SaltFW when I do actually need a stock experience and I actually was just on your Github, that's enough research for me.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But my people are blown to Mars when I can "emulate" two other consoles using one system, or have no lag in 3D during Pokemon battles, and use development software and debug handlers.
Oh, Mr. Hand, I have my final exam right here. Did I pass?
Let me add your final few words to it, and I'll hand you your result.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment