Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
News from Sony is that the long in development movie version of cult PS2 hit Shadow of Colossus is finally moving on and actually has a good director attached to it! Josh Trank will direct the film version and his previous credits include the critical hit TV show "The Kill Point" (which I've never heard of) and more recently the very good "found footage" Superhero film "Chronicle".

Hard to say how this will turn out, needs a good writer attached but at least it has a good director attached to it.

Trailer of original game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DazoTQaqJrs

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/23/chronicle-director-to-make-shadow-of-the-colossus-movie

Lube_Skyballer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why? An American director? The director of Chronicle?
*cries* PLEASE LEAVE SOTC ALONE!

Why no animation movie by Studio Ghibli? My Neighbour Colossus? Colossi on a cliff by the sea?

Reactions: 1 person

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm scared of the level of executive meddling in this thing. "Focus groups prefer more characters and more dialogue. Also, can the guy be called Frank? Focus groups liked the name Frank. And lose the giants, a lot of stuff with giants in them flopped recently. People don't like giants. And break up those long boring scenes of riding with some random fights. 'Atmosphere'? 'Meditative'? 'Ambience'? You're not in film school any more, kid. Now add some sand ninjas."

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chronicle was great, so I'm sure that this guy could pull the film off (as long as too much meddling doesn't get in the way, of course). Shadow of the Colossus is one of those games that could really work well as a film; the sense of scale the colossi could be an incredible theatrical experience. Here's hoping they treat the adaptation with the respect it deserves.

In any case, this news sure beats someone like Micheal Bay or Brett Ratner getting the job.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why no animation movie by Studio Ghibli? My Neighbour Colossus? Colossi on a cliff by the sea?

Because SotC has a more gritty, realistic aesthetic to it and doing some anime film wouldn't really work.

Plus you got a good director behind it, why are you complaining? They could easily get some Michael Bay equivalent and have it be some giant explosion-fest.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
The movie must never lose the feel of the game. That's all I ask. it's not supposed to be something exciting and fun and a thrill ride. it's supposed to be melodramatic, isolating.
that's why Wander is all alone in that place, with no other living being save for his horse, and the colossi. and killing them was never uplifting, but the opposite. if the movie can make you feel sorry for the colossi just as much as you feel sorry for Wander and his need to do it, then i'd say it'll be a good film.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
"And could he have a comic relief sidekick? Focus groups reacted well to a comic relief sidekick. We're thinking Chris Rock. And a wacky animal companion. People love those. No, we do not mean 'or', we mean 'and'. Make it happen." [/doomandgloomcynicism]

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
IRONY: The movie will have more dialog than the actual game.

That will ruin it for me.
Well, they could always do it like in the movie New World... where about 80% of the movie consists of gorgeous shots and barebones ambient music. Can't say much for the film though, but hey, gorgeous cinematography is gorgeous.

Also,I've only just recently watched Chronicle, and I must say it's like Cloverfield--worth owning on DVD/BluRay, but only if you're into stuff like that. I am.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IRONY: The movie will have more dialog than the actual game.

That will ruin it for me.

Movies can be developed with minimalist dialogue, if any. Recently the protagonist of Drive had very few lines but had great character development throughout the movie.

Also,I've only just recently watched Chronicle, and I must say it's like Cloverfield--worth owning on DVD/BluRay, but only if you're into stuff like that. I am.

Cloverfield was a shit movie.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Here's what will happen:
  • One half of the movie will be focused on Wander's fights with the Colossi and the cutscenes after defeating each of them. This half of the movie will be in there just for the action and will not include anything else pertaining to Wander's personal journey.
  • One half of the movie will be focused on Lord Emon and his companions' travels to the temple in the forbidden land to stop Wander from killing the Colossi and performing the rite, and will have information come up that bastardizes the series. This half of the movie will have all of the character development and will most likely demonize Wander and his efforts to revive Mono to the point that if you haven't played the game or read about it, you would never know that Wander wasn't actually a bad guy.
  • The two things above will be pieced together.
  • The ending of the movie will consist of how Lord Emon and his companions kill Wander, which halts the rite despite it being virtually completed due to all the Colossi being dead. This ending will be different from the game's ending.
And then the movie will flop. Then they'll make a game based on the movie and it'll suck donkey balls.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country

Cloverfield was a shit movie.
LOL. well, shit or not, I enjoyed it. btw, is Drive that movie with Ryan Gosling? haven't seen that one yet.

@[member='Sora de Eclaune']: wait, Wander dies? well fuck...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/26/24206529/intel-13th-14th-gen-crashing-instability-cpu-voltage-q-a