Uncharted movie director announces he's working on a Jak and Daxter film

PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT7_155489.0.jpg

Uncharted film director Ruben Fleischer has announced he's begun work on adapting another Sony property for the big screen, Jak and Daxter. “I’m actually working on Jak and Daxter, a version of that, for PlayStation, which I think would be really cool to bring to life,” Fleischer told Digital Trends in a recent interview to promote the Uncharted film. Also created by Naughty Dog, the series has not seen a new release since 2009, which may make it seem like an odd choice for a film adaptation. However, in 2016, Sony also rebooted the Ratchet & Clank series with a new game coinciding to a new film release, so they may be going for a similar strategy here. (Of course, Ratchet & Clank had only gone three years between entries, so it's not exactly the same situation.)

As the project has not been officially announced by Sony, it's unclear how much work has gone into it so far, or even if Sony has greenlit it. The above quote is the only mention of the project by Digital Trends, so the brief mention might indicate that it's still early goings for the project. However, Sony has been branching into movies and TV with their PlayStation properties more lately, including the upcoming Last of Us and Twisted Metal TV shows.

This announcement also follows comments made by Uncharted star Tom Holland just a few days ago about how he'd like to star as Jak in an adaptation. "I would like to make a Jak and Daxter movie, and I would play Jak," said the actor to GameSpot. "I would make it at A24, so it was really weird and like dark… I would do like a really weird, live-action version of Jak and Daxter."

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember how they ban saturday monring cartoons because they were "just adverts for kids toys". Well things have came full circle so shall we now ban video games or just I.P.'s all together. I'm for the latter. If it ain't real, if it ain't tangible, if it can't feed you on any level, then scrap it.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WTF, a "live-action" Jak and Daxter movie??.. No, thanks! :nayps3:
Where's Jak 4, Sony? Why not give us fans something that we actually want? It's been +15 years since Jak3 FFS!!

Reactions: jeannotte

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least they can fuck this up by casting actors that are nothing close to the characters.

Or can they, its Hollywood after all.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jak and daxter 1 is the only game I beat on the ps3, I believe. I started jak and daxter 2, which was brutal by comparison, quite some time ago. unfortunately, a hard drive issue caused the saves to be erased. I also platinum'd jak and daxter 1, but those save trophies were lost as well. it doesn't matter much considering that account got banned on a cfw system about four or five years ago. I have a new account now. I no longer use my main account on any systems I exploit, too risky.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jak and daxter 1 is the only game I beat on the ps3, I believe. I started jak and daxter 2, which was brutal by comparison, quite some time ago. unfortunately, a hard drive issue caused the saves to be erased. I also platinum'd jak and daxter 1, but those save trophies were lost as well. it doesn't matter much considering that account got banned on a cfw system about four or five years ago. I have a new account now. I no longer use my main account on any systems I exploit, too risky.
The first Jak and Daxter is excellent, it's platforming goodness as it shares the same blueprint from the Crash games, since it was made by the same developer (Naughty Dog). the collectathon mechanic is as satisfying as in those games and not too overwhelming, with nice environments/level variety and emphasis on free exploration. I completed the game, collected all the orbs.. the only downside in the game is those racing section sections, they kinda suck with all the floaty controls..
You're right, the sequels changed direction, and added more emphasis on shooting/ guns, the amount of backtracking was kinda annoying, though i thought Jak 3's pseudo open-world? was interesting, wish they expand on it if they ever do Jak 4.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never played jak3. I wanted to beat them in order. I got quite far in 2. it's kinda like a gta clone from what I remember, and it can be extremely frustrating at times.

Reactions: CoolMe

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Uncharted works perfectly well as a live action because it's about hunting for treasures like Indiana Jones, but this? It'll be interesting.

Sonic's movie was pretty good all things considered so it's looking great for movies based off games.

Except... Dragon Ball and One Piece. Just don't.

Reactions: CoolMe

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Uncharted works perfectly well as a live action because it's about hunting for treasures like Indiana Jones, but this? It'll be interesting.

Sonic's movie was pretty good all things considered so it's looking great for movies based off games.

Except... Dragon Ball and One Piece. Just don't.
Wait they made a one piece live action?

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WTF, a "live-action" Jak and Daxter movie??.. No, thanks! :nayps3:
Where's Jak 4, Sony? Why not give us fans something that we actually want? It's been +15 years since Jak3 FFS!!

If you haven't been able to find a game that you want on a Sony console in 15 years, the problem is with you. Not Sony. ;)

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you haven't been able to find a game that you want on a Sony console in 15 years, the problem is with you. Not Sony. ;)
Dude, what? Why would you try to defend Sony when he just asked about a sequel than a movie form of it?

Sony seems to be letting their IPs be forgotten or die, and instead focus on their gaming service (admittedly it kinda sucks compared to Xbox's GamePass Ultimate).

I've been wondering where the heck is Killzone 5 and MotorStorm 4 since the IPs belong to Sony, I think.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it seems that the gaming industry will give us everything, movies, tv shows, merchandise, events, everything.... except actual games

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, what? Why would you try to defend Sony when he just asked about a sequel than a movie form of it?

Sony seems to be letting their IPs be forgotten or die, and instead focus on their gaming service (admittedly it kinda sucks compared to Xbox's GamePass Ultimate).

I've been wondering where the heck is Killzone 5 and MotorStorm 4 since the IPs belong to Sony, I think.
how about a new parappa that isn't just a remaster of the first? a ratchet game that's actually edgy and original and not just a techdemo for the PS5? a new sly cooper? A god of war that isn't just a dark souls clone with worse combat and a dumb camera angle? Gravity rush 3? LBP4 that isn't just a 3d world ripoff? anything other than what we're getting currently (which we're not going to have for another half decade since games like God of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden west take AGES to come out)
I rip on nintendo a lot for their dead franchises/declining game quality but i honestly think sony's worse in this regard.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle