OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Hey all.
Recently my dad added this super security crap to the router.
Now he has to "allow" devices that can connect to the access point.
This means that let's say a friend came over, he/she can't connect his/her laptop till my dad "allows" device.
Anyway today I asked him to "allow" my DSiXL.
He did, and I saw him do it with my own eyes.
I tried connecting my DS but it just doesn't work ugh.
It's been bothering me for like days.
Today I decided to write the error code I get on the Nintendo website and see what the site says.
Well it said I have to manually configure the DS's internet settings.
This is garbage, and it's so complicated. But I HAVE to get that mew they're distributing for Pokemon HGSS.
So the guide on Ninty's website tells me to go to cmd on my laptop and type "ipconfig/ALL" (without "'s) and I'm supposed to write down the Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, Primary DNS, and Secondary DNS on my DS settings, and for the IP address, I have to make it 10 more than my laptops's. (eg. If my laptop's IP was let's say 192.168.1.100, my DS should be 192.168.1.110)
Anyway I encountered lots of garbage with this. Help mee.
OK number 1:
When I wanna write the IP address, subnet mask or any of that garbage on my DS, there are these boxes I have to fill:

[] [] [] . [] [] [] . [] [] [] . [] [] []

So if I wanna type an IP address like... ok an example : 192.168.1.110 How on earth do I fill the boxes? Like this?

[1][9][2] . [1][6][8]. [0][0][1] . [1][1][0]

Or like this?

[1][9][2] . [1][6][8]. [1][0][0] . [1][1][0]

Or what? It's so confusing please help kthx.

Number 2, When I type "ipconfig/ALL" in cmd I don't see any Primary or Secondary DNS.
Where can I find that so I can type it on my DS?

PLEASE help I want to fix my DS internet ASAP.
Thx.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To type 192.168.1.110,

[1][9][2] . [1][6][8]. [0][0][1] . [1][1][0]

But I'm guessing your dad put up a MAC address filter, which is effective way of blocking devices connecting to router. I need more info on how your dad does this though.

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
#2 problem
if im not mistaken, you could write down your routers ip address for both primary/secondary dns and it should work (it does for my dslite)

e.g. if routers ip address is 192.168.1.1
you can write that down for both

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
I'm guessing the ds can't handle the protection protocol your dad used...

I think ds supports only WEP key,if the protection is WPTSN (or whatever its name is) then it's not going to connect no matter how many times you try.

change your router's protection to WEP(choose a password) and then select "WEP key" from the ds menu,input the password you entered in your router and it should work

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
dysan said:
I'm guessing the ds can't handle the protection protocol your dad used...

I think ds supports only WEP key,if the protection is WPTSN (or whatever its name is) then it's not going to connect no matter how many times you try.

change your router's protection to WEP(choose a password) and then select "WEP key" from the ds menu,input the password you entered in your router and it should work

It's the DS and DSL that only support wep, dsi's support wpa/2. His problem may be in both the security settings (OP didn't mention security) and mac filter.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Enabling MAC address filtering doesn't require reconfiguring permitted devices, or manually configuring a permitted device. So he's changed something else such as from WEP to WPA2.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The OP has already said his dad has done that, given that his dad has enabled MAC filtering I imagine he knows how to use it or none of the other wireless devices would be working. Therefore, nothing will need to be done on the DSi's end. On my router the MAC of all devices attempting to connect to the router are displayed, you then simply choce which ones to add to the permitted list.

I enabled MAC address filtering on my sisters router, and never had to reconfigure any of her devices.

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
in reply to the above 3/4 posts, i think we need some clear descriptions from op of what doesnt work, why it doesnt work etc, etc.
either that or if he's using a flashcart he could send the sav to someone and let him get the mew
closedeyes.gif

edit:
Rydian said:
tk_saturn, it depends on if he's employing a MAC whitelist or blacklist. It sounds like he's doing the whitelist, as he'd need to get the MAC address of the DSi in order to allow it.
i think it's safe to say that there is not one router that uses a blacklist as that would be way too much hassle.

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Wow I'm embarrassed to say I really don't know all that much about this WEP and wpa/2 stuff.
What I will say though, to answer the guy directly above me is that I'm not using a flashcart. I'm using a legit Pokemon HeartGold version. But I'm trying to set it up from the DSi settings. It tells me something about not being able to obtain an IP address or whatnot.
And thanks trumpet-205 I'll try that in a minute.
ecko, you're sure? I'll try that too.
dysan, my uncle uses the same system in his house and my DS can connect there 0_o Sorry if I should have mentioned this earlier.
Thanks all for replies. I will update again the thread as soon as I test my DSi's internet again using the help you gave me.

EDIT: Oh yeah and what I do know is that it's not MAC-filtering cause I change my MAC address a lot and that doesn't affect whether or not my lappy connects to the internet.

EDIT 2: OMG YES! Thanks a lot everyone! Everyone in this thread was a help. I actually HAD to manually set it up. Auto set-up doesn't work. Weird huh? Anyway like ecko said I used the Default Gateway as Primary and Secondary DNS and it worked. I made my DS's IP address 10 more than my laptop (look at first post in the thread to know what I mean) . And I normally entered the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway like I would on any device.
Oh yeah and trumpet-205 thanks for letting me know how to type the stuff in
tongue.gif

TheTwoR's

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Oh crap.
I want to do the same for the Wii... Sigh.
It's even harder. No, I can't use Auto-Set up.
I typed the code on Nintendo's support site, (It's 51330) and it didn't really help.
I tried doing the same as I did for the DS. But now, there are things I'd like to report:
It's not bad to use the DS's IP right?
and... Based on everything I wrote up in this thread, is my security type WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), or WPA2-PSK (AES) ? 0_0 The Wii wants to know..
And what's an MTU Value? How do I find that?

Thanks a lot guys..

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TheTwoR's said:
Oh crap.
I typed the code on Nintendo's support site, (It's 51330) and it didn't really help.
I tried doing the same as I did for the DS. But now, there are things I'd like to report:
and... Based on everything I wrote up in this thread, is my security type WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), or WPA2-PSK (AES) ? 0_0 The Wii wants to know..

Thanks a lot guys..

1.aslong as you dont go online with your ds and wii at the same time
2.wep
3.mtu value is the max amount of bytes a packet can be before being fragmented into more packets, try a value of 150.

TheTwoR's

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
ecko said:
TheTwoR's said:
Oh crap.

Thanks a lot guys..

1.aslong as you dont go online with your ds and wii at the same time
2.wep
3.mtu value is the max amount of bytes a packet can be before being fragmented into more packets, try a value of 150.

Ok, thanks
smile.gif

Is there any where I can check my exact mtu or something?
And umm.. When I click WEP it tells me to write a password. Is that the same password I write when I type the gateway address on the PC's internet explorer?
I mean like say... I wanna change some internet setting, so I go on an Internet browser and I type the IP of my router then there's a box:

Is that password the password I'm supposed to type after I click on WEP on my Wii?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."