Hacking Serial to USB Cable?

nightwalker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If i use a Serial to USB Cable for the programmer...will i still be able to write to the PIC through my USB connector?

Thanks

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, it won't work.

Do you have a desktop computer? If so, I have a PCI expansion card that provides two serial ports that work for PIC programmers. I was using it myself but have another solution now so I'm selling it. $11USD shipped for USA orders. Since you're in Canada I might have to tack on another buck or two. It's a card exactly like this one:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/redirect-to/?r...271%2Findex.php

nightwalker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no i was jsut wondering if i should get a
serial to serial extension cord or get a usb to serial cord...so i can connect it to my wii-boss when i get it from DX

since you know...most new mobo nowadays dont include serial ports anymore

would the serial to serial extension cord work??? or will i have to have direct connection between my computer and the wii-boss programmer?

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
no i was jsut wondering if i should get a
serial to serial extension cord or get a usb to serial cord...so i can connect it to my wii-boss when i get it from DX

since you know...most new mobo nowadays dont include serial ports anymore

would the serial to serial extension cord work??? or will i have to have direct connection between my computer and the wii-boss programmer?

If your computer already has a serial port that's great! I just assumed since you were asking about a USB-serial converter that you didn't already have one. Of course a serial extension cable will work just fine for projects like this. I use one myself. The reason I have the PCI expansion card is because I didn't think my motherboard had a serial port. Turns out it does and I just needed to install it, that's why I can sell the card now. Since you already have a serial port though you are all set.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So there is no way for a laptop user to program chips?

Well, sure there is but you ain't gonna like it. You can buy or build a dedicated USB programmer. Something like this:
http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/robotics/projects/pic-pgrm.html
However, these are significantly more expensive and complicated to build or buy. For a desktop user it's cheaper to buy a PCI serial card like mine and build a serial programmer rather than do this. For a laptop user... Find a desktop computer you can use...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-