Serial to USB Cable?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by nightwalker, Aug 30, 2007.

1. nightwalker
    OP

nightwalker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2006
    Canada
    If i use a Serial to USB Cable for the programmer...will i still be able to write to the PIC through my USB connector?

Thanks

2. Hooya

Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    No, it won't work.

Do you have a desktop computer? If so, I have a PCI expansion card that provides two serial ports that work for PIC programmers. I was using it myself but have another solution now so I'm selling it. $11USD shipped for USA orders. Since you're in Canada I might have to tack on another buck or two. It's a card exactly like this one:
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/redirect-to/?r...271%2Findex.php

3. nightwalker
    OP

nightwalker GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2006
    Canada
    no i was jsut wondering if i should get a
    serial to serial extension cord or get a usb to serial cord...so i can connect it to my wii-boss when i get it from DX

since you know...most new mobo nowadays dont include serial ports anymore

would the serial to serial extension cord work??? or will i have to have direct connection between my computer and the wii-boss programmer?

4. Hooya

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    If your computer already has a serial port that's great! I just assumed since you were asking about a USB-serial converter that you didn't already have one. Of course a serial extension cable will work just fine for projects like this. I use one myself. The reason I have the PCI expansion card is because I didn't think my motherboard had a serial port. Turns out it does and I just needed to install it, that's why I can sell the card now. Since you already have a serial port though you are all set.

5. lanleague

lanleague GBAtemp Regular

Mar 4, 2007
    United States
    So there is no way for a laptop user to program chips?

6. Hooya

Aug 25, 2006
    United States
    Central Illinois
    Well, sure there is but you ain't gonna like it. You can buy or build a dedicated USB programmer. Something like this:
    http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/robotics/projects/pic-pgrm.html
    However, these are significantly more expensive and complicated to build or buy. For a desktop user it's cheaper to buy a PCI serial card like mine and build a serial programmer rather than do this. For a laptop user... Find a desktop computer you can use...

7. jeklnoo

jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

Oct 20, 2006
    United States
    what's wrong with usb->serial? as long as the usb driver makes it appear like a standard serial port, it should work fine, right?

8. helba

helba Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2007
    Canada
    voltage difference, usb uses less voltage.

9. Hols

Hols Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2007
    United States
    CA
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice