Senator introduces bill to study violent games

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People place blame far too easily. You wanna hear something ridiculous?

There was a debate between idiot parents and the company that now distributes Looney Toons cartoons. The soccer moms cried out that those cartoons were far too violent, and ended up heavily restricting the airing of old Looney Toons on cable TV.

It's all a matter of blaming things on others.

What, do they think their kids are going to drop anvils off cliffs onto the heads of their friends or attempt to blow them up with an ACME made bomb? People need to get over themselves, there is more important shit to worry about in life.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see pretty much the same thing. An old friend of mine had his parents buying him M-rated games since he was 8. I only bought my first M-rated game (And only, at that) when I was actually 17 (Even though my mom HATES these kinds of games). A lot of these games are far too accessible and are far to easy for underaged people to buy. I don't think there needs to be a study into the games themselves, there needs to be a study into how accessible these games are to the general public.

Case in point: When I bought MadWorld, I wasn't asked for ID. And I just turned 17 when I got it. For all the cashier knew, I could have still been 16, or maybe even 15. I've been able to have people think I was 18.

The rules are already in place by many businesses to prevent the sale of mature titles to minors. In fact, companies like EB Games will fire you on the spot if you sell a game to a minor or fail to ask for ID if they look under 21. I always got carded by new EB Games employees until I was about 21, I still get carded for beer and I am 26 now.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
Two psychologists were interviewed at once and both had the same opinion that games (e.g. black ops 2) do not cause a considerable effect on the child; it's their environment at home that does it and the competition within games. Why aren't all kids affected then?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are still blaming everything, but ignoring the real problems. These violent video games, songs, tv shows, movies, ect. are not for children and are thus rated for that very reason. It should be left up to the parents to decide if the content is appropriate for their children.
But I do think it's about time we start making more things geared towards children, there are way too many M games being made nowadays

I agree that there are too many M rated games being made today. I'm also tired of older fans of certain indusrty bitching every time a company within that industry decides to nurture younger fans into older ones. Examples, Nintendo and the gaming industry and WWE with the wrestling industry. There is absolutely nothing wrong with catering to younger audiences while working with older fans. Older fans of media companies need to get over themselves.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
First of, the shooter was 20 years, an adult. Kids will be kids, they will imitate stupid stuff to the point of injury, but as soon as they get hurt, they more or less shy away from doing it again. Trying to link violence in video games to violence in real life is like trying to link Popeye beating up baddies with street fights. It's ridiculous.

And if a person can't differentiate between okay and not okay actions, well, then there's something wrong with the person.

Personally though, I think this Adam Lanza kid was probably bullied to the point where he snapped. The sad thing is, he didn't kill his bulliers and instead took it out on kids. I'd have applauded otherwise. The less bullies in the world, the better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill