OP
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
27lede_segway-articleInline.jpg

Call it irony, fate, or simply an accident: in Britain, the owner of Segway died over the weekend when he apparently drove one of the devices off a cliff near his home, The Associated Press reported.

In West Yorkshire, police reported that James W. Heselden, 62, who took over control of the company earlier this year, accidentally steered the Segway off a 30-foot cliff and into a river while riding on his estate, about 140 miles from London. The exact cause of death is not yet established, the police said.

The Segway Human Transporter came to market in 2002 as the invention of Dean Kamen, an entrepreneur from New Hampshire who made his fortune after he created the first insulin pump for treatment of diabetes. At the time, Mr. Kamen said that the Segway would have an impact on society similar to that of the personal computer.

The person-mover, priced at about $5,000, uses sophisticated gyroscopic technology as well as electronics and some software controls.

The rider essentially steers one by leaning fore and aft, and aiming to the left or right by pulling the handlebars; the company calls this “LeanSteer” technology. The Segway’s top speed is about 12 miles per hour, the company says.

In Britain, the Segway cannot be piloted on public roads or paths but only on private property. But they are legal in several European countries. In the United States, Segways are approved for limited use in many states, The Telegraph reports.

Celebrities, including Jackie Chan, adopted the Segway as an alternative transportation device for a time, although the Segway image took a hit in 2003 when President George W. Bush fell off of one.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

---

That's the best example of irony I've ever seen.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one who thinks those things looks fugly? Anyway, it is a bit ironic. I don't know why but I got the feeling that he purposely drove off the cliff with that thing :wtf: .

D

Deleted_171835

Rest In Peace James W. Heselden.
That's a weird death, though. Off a cliff. He didn't notice it?

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
This should be on 1000 ways to die.
This.

I have a hard time believing this. Why in the hell would he ride a Segway towards a cliff he knew was there (according to the article you can only ride them on privately owned property)? I'm guessing his eyesight was terrible, since he was getting old. Nevertheless, rest in peace. You died in one of the funniest, yet still sad, ways possible.

RiderLeangle

Trophies
Website
ridersrealm.b1.jcink.com
XP
Country
United States
Irony in action.. Gotta' love it..

Although I just have to wonder something.. How can you accidentally drive your segway off a cliff? I mean why would it be NEAR a cliff in the first place?..
Maybe it was on purpose because he just realized he intentionally bought the company that makes those and he was riding one?
tongue.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I read this on the CNN site and my first thought was how ironic it was too.

QUOTE said:
In Britain, the Segway cannot be piloted on public roads or paths but only on private property.
Now, that's pointless.
dry.gif

Waytofind said:
Slyakin said:
That really stinks.

RIP, man. Hopefully it was fast.
frown.gif

12mph
rofl.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It would have been ironic if he had actually invented the thing. But it still makes for a good title, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative