Sega Megadrive (Genesis) Flashback Mini HD with an USB on internal mother board

ALEXONE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Just to refresh my memory, which exploits did you make for the Genesis Flashback? I've got mine running the hack with the two anime girls on it (and to be honest, I'd like to change that theme). Someone else supplied me with a version of MD.emu, and it's definitely better than the default.

I also did the USB power hack. Man, those are some TINY soldering points. Starts to feel like microsurgery, you know? However, it's nice to be able to plug in whatever controllers I like. I'd like to do the same for my Atari Flashback, but I'm gonna need a spare USB female connector first.
Hi, could you share that MD.emu via PM, cause default emulator meh...)

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to refresh my memory, which exploits did you make for the Genesis Flashback? I've got mine running the hack with the two anime girls on it (and to be honest, I'd like to change that theme). Someone else supplied me with a version of MD.emu, and it's definitely better than the default.

I also did the USB power hack. Man, those are some TINY soldering points. Starts to feel like microsurgery, you know? However, it's nice to be able to plug in whatever controllers I like. I'd like to do the same for my Atari Flashback, but I'm gonna need a spare USB female connector first.
i did not write any exploit. i simply made the homebrew app that you are speaking of. also you can easily change the theme on that version of the dash to whatever you want. it was a feature of the dash. if you read the information on mdfbrew you can see the instructions on how to do so.

Hi, could you share that MD.emu via PM, cause default emulator meh...)
you can get a free version from the author of the emulators site. type "MD.EMU on google, the website is called explusalpha. if you go to his development section you can find a version of md.emu that may be of use to you.

P.S. the current version of the dashboard:

hDALT1e.jpg

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i did not write any exploit. i simply made the homebrew app that you are speaking of. also you can easily change the theme on that version of the dash to whatever you want. it was a feature of the dash. if you read the information on mdfbrew you can see the instructions on how to do so.

you can get a free version from the author of the emulators site. type "MD.EMU on google, the website is called explusalpha. if you go to his development section you can find a version of md.emu that may be of use to you.

P.S. the current version of the dashboard:

hDALT1e.jpg

umm am i seeing this right ?? SEAG CD and NESS now umm why you NO tell me grrrrr lol and how do i get it again

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still not big on the background, but yeah, me wanty!

Also, I'm going to try to get the 2600 emulator from the Atari Flashback 8 working on this thing too, if it's possible. The Atari Flashback never worked properly for me; I'm hoping that since this is the same hardware, I would be able to force it to work on the Genesis Flashback. We'll see.

EDIT: Oh, wait! Okay, I see how you're supposed to change themes... just drop some appropriately sized PNG files into a folder on the system. I'll look into that. Also... when are you going to have this new version of the dash available? Your site still shows a January 16 2018 release as the latest.

Last edited by ArugulaZ,

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the dashboard changes background showing various games every few seconds.
it also supports pc engine (well super cd-rom games like dracula x and sapphire) as well.
this version though is not as simple as running a bat file and its A LOT more involved.
as for releases... I am not sure. All of the gui elements used to make it are borrowed from parts of the internet and i really dont want to go and ask lots of people for their blessing. I originally wanted someone good at photoshop to help me design a gui (as i suck at it). We will see how things turn out although it also seems that enthusiasm for this has died down a lot too.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if development stops on this frontend, I'm pretty satisfied. I added MD.emu to handle Genesis games, and it does a better job with them than the default emulator. Maybe I'll add in RetroArch later, since MD.emu doesn't support Game Gear games. (Is there a RetroArch build just for the Genesis Flashback, by the way?)

Whether or not that happens, the system is much better now than it was out of the box. I strongly recommend the USB power mod by the way... the solder points are small but it'll let you plug in your own controllers, along with flash drives if you'd like to use them.

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the dashboard changes background showing various games every few seconds.
it also supports pc engine (well super cd-rom games like dracula x and sapphire) as well.
this version though is not as simple as running a bat file and its A LOT more involved.
as for releases... I am not sure. All of the gui elements used to make it are borrowed from parts of the internet and i really dont want to go and ask lots of people for their blessing. I originally wanted someone good at photoshop to help me design a gui (as i suck at it). We will see how things turn out although it also seems that enthusiasm for this has died down a lot too.

I don’t mine if not a bat file I don’t mind going in the back door , all so I can ask my 10 year old he knows photoshop inside out if can do it for you

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello, citizens of the gbatemp!
i got locked out of my old account a few months ago due to getting locked out of my old outlook account. I hope it is ok by the admins that i made a new account. I was just wondering if some of the old timers that were working on this are still around. I managed to due some neat extra tricks with this device and i was wondering if @asper and @Hekel had discovered anything new on their end as well.
AS i told you privately nothing from me man, I am sorry :P

Reactions: KiiWii

Excalibur007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We will see how things turn out although it also seems that enthusiasm for this has died down a lot too.

I don't think it's that enthusiasm has died down, but rather the slowed progress of the mods. We've not heard of any progress on RetroShield, or on Generations in months (until recently). I keep checking the thread for updates, but since there are no updates, there hasn't been much to post about. I haven't used my Flashback HD in months because I got so sick of the poor emulation and there hasn't been a solution for replacing the emulator made public. Only talk about it, but not something ppl who aren't Android coders can really do.

I'm still looking forward to releases, but losing hope. It's my guess that this is a shared feeling.

Excalibur007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes me wonder if the "new" Genesis/MegaDrive mini will be a new revision.

It's my understanding that the 2018 Atari and Genesis Flashback HD units will be using "more popular emulators", although I've not heard confirmation on what they'll be. I suspect it may be Stella for Atari, but I have no idea what it will be for Genesis. If this ends up being the case, it sounds like there is a lot to look forward to with the 2018 models.
However, I still really want to get my 2017 model playing properly. It's a nice little unit; I love being able to play carts and the wireless was done well, but the game emulation is just too frustrating to bear with after a while. I'm still very interested in getting it modded with a more stable interface and better emulation.

Reactions: DarthDub

YONKE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's my understanding that the 2018 Atari and Genesis Flashback HD units will be using "more popular emulators", although I've not heard confirmation on what they'll be. I suspect it may be Stella for Atari, but I have no idea what it will be for Genesis. If this ends up being the case, it sounds like there is a lot to look forward to with the 2018 models.
However, I still really want to get my 2017 model playing properly. It's a nice little unit; I love being able to play carts and the wireless was done well, but the game emulation is just too frustrating to bear with after a while. I'm still very interested in getting it modded with a more stable interface and better emulation.

Same here , a check at least 2 times a week to see if there been an update or a release. Enthusiasm is high and really hope someday my sega genesis HD have a better emulation with the help of the community.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anybody would like to help me test?
needs to know to backup and restore their console in case they hate it.
needs to have done the usb mod
understands they are VOIDING their warranty.
knows how to troubleshoot for themselves, i am usually quite busy, and they must have read this thread entirely.
understands that they are testing, i am not responsible for any damage, lost cats, dogs etc.

Reactions: fixingmytoys

fixingmytoys

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
knows how to troubleshoot for themselves, i am usually quite busy, and they must have read this thread entirely.
understands that they are testing, i am not responsible for any damage, lost cats, dogs etc.

hey i am in lol all ready made a backup done the usb mod as you know

MicroNut99

!SEGA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
I have been able to restore my bricked Flashback.
Not only that I have been able to convert between an OBB and a Non-OBB system.
I believe the process is not for the faint of heart but is dead simple and an easy choice when the system is
Locked in a Loader Device Loop with No Video.

Add all Partition lines to the AndroidTool and Flash the Uboot.img last.

0x00006000 baseparamer Output\baseparamer.img
0x00006800 resource Output\resource.img
0x00002000 uboot Output\uboot.img

The IMG files hosted on MDBREW are Non-OBB system and will convert a dead system to a Non-OBB device.
The reverse works just as well with a full OBB device image backup.

After flashing the Uboot parition, last, the system should exit the Loader Device almost immediately and boot to the dash.
The PC will recognize the NAND flash and the Android tool will go into ADB Device mode.

Here is a pic of the AndroidTool 239 with all partitions loaded (that cannot post because I'm noob here.)
h t t p s://i.imgur. com/lf69ELv.png

Last edited by MicroNut99,

MicroNut99

!SEGA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can test at any time. I have 2GB system that can be OBB or Non-OBB.
That probably does not make a difference but If can find a away to run Sega CD from OTG then count me in!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1