SEGA Japan asks for 650 of their employees to voluntarily retire after "extraordinary losses"

segaaaaaaaaa.png

SEGA selling off their arcade business isn't the only bad news for the company. A press release has just announced that due to losses suffered this recent financial quarter SEGA will be asking 650 of its employees to "voluntarily retire". The document states that SEGA is establishing a structural reform to adapt to a post-Covid-19 market, and to offset further losses expected to be reported in their yearly fiscal report, set to be reported in March 2021. While an exact number hasn't been released, SEGA expects to have lost 10 billion yen in losses since the onset of Covid-19 throughout the entire fiscal year. Any workers facing voluntary retirement will be given "extraordinary retirement allowances" and SEGA will help any former employees find new work through reemployment support.

This isn't the only cost-saving measure being taken by the company either, as their executive staff will be facing salary cuts. Any employee above the position of Representative Director or Senior Vice President will see their income cut 10-30%.

:arrow: Source

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Sega survived the Dreamcast trainwreck.. I don't see any of this happening tbh.
They barely survived that, and this is much worse

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The 3d Sonics have been one gigantic turd after the other.
What about colors and generations?

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
focus here should be Sega.

You're the one who brought up Nintendo.
And yes, Microsoft has been scummy in the past, and their OS division still is.

But Xbox changed for the better. They're being very pro-consumer.
Also DirectInput brought way too much fragmentation, not all controllers used to use the same signals.

I'm not an MS fanboy, I have owned Xbox, Playstation and Nintendo consoles. My main system right now is PC with Linux (and a Windows partition for games with bad anti-cheat).

You're the fanboy here if you honestly believe that Nintendo would treat SEGA well.

robman62

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should make SA3 or remake SA2, that would definitely be profitable.

Popular and profitable are two completely different things. I would love to see SA3 or a new Power Stone, but those take resources to make. Sega probably doesn’t have the resources and the potential profit would not be substantial enough to save the company.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o