SEGA Japan asks for 650 of their employees to voluntarily retire after "extraordinary losses"

segaaaaaaaaa.png

SEGA selling off their arcade business isn't the only bad news for the company. A press release has just announced that due to losses suffered this recent financial quarter SEGA will be asking 650 of its employees to "voluntarily retire". The document states that SEGA is establishing a structural reform to adapt to a post-Covid-19 market, and to offset further losses expected to be reported in their yearly fiscal report, set to be reported in March 2021. While an exact number hasn't been released, SEGA expects to have lost 10 billion yen in losses since the onset of Covid-19 throughout the entire fiscal year. Any workers facing voluntary retirement will be given "extraordinary retirement allowances" and SEGA will help any former employees find new work through reemployment support.

This isn't the only cost-saving measure being taken by the company either, as their executive staff will be facing salary cuts. Any employee above the position of Representative Director or Senior Vice President will see their income cut 10-30%.

:arrow: Source

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have to ask but what exactly does Sega have to offer in 2020? I mean if this was 1991 it would make sense for a merge but they made so many bad mistakes that they never recovered. Sonic is like Mario it gets pretty old (30 years old) I rather Sega just die with dignity rather than be bought out by Microsoft which would still lead in poor game sales. Or maybe just stick to movies since the last one did well
Sega is way more than just Sonic. Project Diva/Mirai, the entirety of Atlus's games, the Total War franchise, Amplitude's games and Relic Entertainment (formerly known as THQ) to name a few.

ishida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here comes Microsoft hehe to the rescue by buying it hehe

NO PLEASE.
i'll have to ditch Sonic franchise if that happens :(

Plot twist: Nintendo buys Sega
i'd rather that than mic buy them and have sonic exclusive only on the SHITbox
you guys are my friend :D

Plot twist:

SEGA Purchased by Sony Corp.

looks good to me, a blue hedgehog on the blue console.
i'm happy as long as its not bought by disgrace monopolizer M$

Last edited by ishida,

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I hope Nintendo DOESN'T buy them.
Screw you guys, it's 2020. We've seen how evil Nintendo can be for many many years, specially to people that don't live in the countries *they* care about.

Microsoft would be a lot better, games wouldn't be exclusive, they'd have creative freedom and no censorship (unlike the Commiefornia-based Sony), etc.

ishida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hope Nintendo DOESN'T buy them.
Screw you guys, it's 2020. We've seen how evil Nintendo can be for many many years, specially to people that don't live in the countries *they* care about.

Microsoft would be a lot better, games wouldn't be exclusive, they'd have creative freedom and no censorship (unlike the Commiefornia-based Sony), etc.
sorry but Sony & Nintendo are less evil.
they didn't force us to buy their stuff.
they didn't force people to like Mario or God of War.

there is PS Now to play PS exclusive on PC (gotta wait if u wanna save money, sounds fair)
Nintendo could take legal action against pc emulators but they didn't.

but M$, forces pc gamers to buy only their controllers.
(why do M$ think they have the right to monopolise contollers? their controllers were just copying PS & Nintendo)

xbox games get released on Windows NOT because M$ were nice, but because they're fighting another battle against Mac & Linux, wake up.

Last edited by ishida,

ishida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No they can't, and if they could there's zero indication they wouldn't. They're going after everybody.
actually they did stop the development of a ds emulator on iOS around 2012/13 ,
i dunno the reason behind (if they just don't like iOS or if they didn't want portable emulator goes wide)

Atlus also issued a DMCA takedown notice against RPCS3 but was later settled by removing all Persona 5 references from their patreon page.

it seems Nintendo & game devs r not completely powerless as we might hv thought.

if Nintendo are really powerless in that aspect, chinese firms can just produce machines which runs "emulator" and sell them worldwide at a low price.

Last edited by ishida,

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
sorry but Sony & Nintendo are less evil.
they didn't force us to buy their stuff.
they didn't force people to like Mario or God of War.

No company can force you to like something, are you trolling mate?

there is PS Now to play PS exclusive on PC (gotta wait if u wanna save money, sounds fair)

Game Pass is on PC, has hundreds of titles, is cheap and even includes Microsoft's own exclusives (Halo, Gears, etc). PS Now is a shitty streaming service, they bought Onlive in 2013 to host their servers and still haven't fixed a shit ton of problems.

Nintendo could take legal action against pc emulators but they didn't.

They can't, they won't and they never will. The issue of the legality of emulation was settled in the 90's with Bleemcast. They're absolutely 100% legal. Not to mention we have Xbox 360 and original Xbox emulators as well.

but M$, forces pc gamers to buy only their controllers.
(why do M$ think they have the right to monopolise contollers? their controllers were just copying PS & Nintendo)

They don't, they never did. Xinput was simply adopted by developers, but now it works even on Linux.
I use Playstation Classic, PS3, PS4, a Hori Fight Stick for the PS3/4 and two Xbox 360 controllers, they work great.

xbox games get released on Windows NOT because M$ were nice, but because they're fighting another battle against Mac & Linux, wake up.

That's not it at all. Microsoft is now releasing their games on Steam, they can't release UWP apps there. Halo MCC runs perfectly fine for me on Linux.

I'm not the one who has to wake up, you're blind.

ishida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No company can force you to like something, are you trolling mate?

Game Pass is on PC, has hundreds of titles, is cheap and even includes Microsoft's own exclusives (Halo, Gears, etc). PS Now is a shitty streaming service, they bought Onlive in 2013 to host their servers and still haven't fixed a shit ton of problems.

They can't, they won't and they never will. The issue of the legality of emulation was settled in the 90's with Bleemcast. They're absolutely 100% legal. Not to mention we have Xbox 360 and original Xbox emulators as well.

They don't, they never did. Xinput was simply adopted by developers, but now it works even on Linux.
I use Playstation Classic, PS3, PS4, a Hori Fight Stick for the PS3/4 and two Xbox 360 controllers, they work great.

That's not it at all. Microsoft is now releasing their games on Steam, they can't release UWP apps there. Halo MCC runs perfectly fine for me on Linux.

I'm not the one who has to wake up, you're blind.
lol M$ fanboy, this' my last reply to you even if you wish to keep on going, since the focus here should be Sega.
PS Now includes Sony's own exclusive.
post above suggested companies & game devs can at least shut their patreon if they really want.

M$ has a history of attempts to monopolize things (do your research).
xinput forces pc gamers to buy only xbox controllers, but softwares such as x360ce somewhat thwart M$' scheme.
pc games from 1990s & early 2000s, we could freely config direct-input controllers.
DS4 & NS controllers are still direct-input, xinput is unnecessary, only brings restrictions to gamers & money to M$.
lmao Halo MCC isn't released on Linux natively.

back to Topic, i don't wish to see Sonic franchise bought by such company.

have a nice day, bye~

Last edited by ishida,

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Software is a different story, but hardware patents expire after 20 years (in the usa) so after two decades anyone can clone physical hardware, so one could technically manufacture and sell xbox 360 or ps3 hardware clones after 2025.......thats why you can buy (s)nes,gameboy, and sega systems on a chip.... though software patent/copyright last for 75 years iirc

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
"We're not laying you off, we're just asking you to voluntarily retire".
The reason they are doing it this way is because they are trying to not have to force someone to have to retire. If enough people don't do it voluntarily they might have to fire people anyway, but that time it will likely be with less benefits and not voluntary anymore.

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol M$ fanboy, this' my last reply to you even if you wish to keep on going, since the focus here should be Sega.
post above suggested companies & game devs can at least shut their patreon if they really want.

xinput forces pc gamers to buy only xbox controllers, but softwares such as x360ce somewhat thwart M$' scheme.
pc games from 1990s & early 2000s, we could freely config direct-input controllers.
DS4 & NS controllers are still direct-input, xinput is unnecessary, only brings restrictions to gamers & money to M$.

have a nice day, bye~

And most of those controllers didn't configure correctly and did all sorts of crazy shit. Literally no one misses the wild west that was pc controllers before the XBox 360 era. 9 times out of 10, steam fixes those problems for you with a semi-modern controller. If Microsoft were as bad as you're saying, you wouldn't be able to play games using you PS4 controller on your PC.
And let's get real. No one gives a shit about Sonic, unless of course Christian Whitehead decides to release another game. His are the only ones that matter. The 3d Sonics have been one gigantic turd after the other.

Smh these people saying that Microsoft going to buy Sega when Japan has a law that prevent foreign companies buying Japanese companies because to protect national asset
Sigh

This is just untrue. Certain business are harder to purchase, like IT and the tech sector, because it can raise issues of national security. I highly doubt a video game company holds the nation's highest secrets in their files.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The 3d Sonics have been one gigantic turd after the other.

First I will confess a fondness for the original Sonic 3d, adventure and beyond then yeah all utter nonsense.

There does however seem to be a rather rabid fanbase for them (I am sure you have had the misfortune of experiencing the sonic original character... movement) which I would say underestimate at your peril here.

mat128

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

have a nice day, bye~
xinput is literally the best thing to happen to controllers on PC. Before it was a coin toss whether your controller would be supported by the game due to devs using hacks to work around the limitations of dinput, now all games target the same API so it works 100% of the time. If Nintendo, Sony or any other gamepad manufacturer wanted they could just license xinput for a fee.

Reactions: Pacheko17

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arm isn't a Japanese company so Softbank selling off one of its foreign assets should not be a problem.

And neither was Sega originally(which is an American company). It's Japanese branch just happens to be the biggest because of their shift in market. Both companies are companies originally outside of Japan, the only difference is, one's development stayed outside of japan, while the other decided to make japan their main market which made it's respective branch the biggest.

This is similarish to how the for playstation specific, the North American branch became the larger division who has a say on the playstation environment, and the general kind of things like what games can/can't be on the device (part of the reason why sony is getting a lot less risque games as of recent)

Last edited by GBADWB,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sega survived the Dreamcast trainwreck.. I don't see any of this happening tbh.
How many years ago was that? More than 5 years might as well be a lifetime for most purposes in business. Most times you are lucky to have a business wonk consider more than the next quarter, maybe financial year, and back the same distance (or even last three quarters) with a few more radicals considering a year or three after that.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: As long as you're not going hungry, it's nice to share things with your friends +1