SEGA is reviving five of its classic franchises, including Jet Set Radio

With The Game Awards announcing dozens of new games, SEGA stole the spotlight by announcing nearly a dozen games on their own. SEGA is bringing back some of its old, most beloved IPs, by revealing five new games. Jet Set Radio, Golden Axe, Shinobi, Crazy Taxi, and Streets of Rage are all getting brand-new games. SEGA calls this a new era for the company, with these games set to release over the next handful of years. Early gameplay can be seen within the trailers, with the Jet Set Radio gameplay looking quite similar to that old supposed SEGA leaked gameplay reel from years ago.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Dreamcast still works.
It's built to last. 😆

I don't know a NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, GCN, etc (Classic/Modern Retro) that doesn't work because they were built to last for years to come. However, faulty PS3s and 360s? Oh, there's plenty! 🤣

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's built to last. 😆

I don't know a NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, GCN, etc (Classic/Modern Retro) that doesn't work because they were built to last for years to come. However, faulty PS3s and 360s? Oh, there's plenty! 🤣
This is a logical fallacy that only correlates the durability/longevity of consoles due to a certain age. The PS3 and 360 both had the same exact issue of new fab technology not being quite up-to-snuff and using really crummy lead-free solder. Any models beyond the original launch models of the 360/ps3 are largely fine. Not to mention that wasn't Microsoft's or Sony's fault. That was their chip designers deciding to use TSMC as their chip fabricator. Nvidia cards from that age have the same issue. Nowadays most of the issues I've seen from modern consoles are user error; I.E breaking the HDMI port, which I've seen plenty of retro consoles with messed up video output or just being broken due to user error. Don't even get me started on the amount of PS2-era consoles that I've seen with faulty optical lasers/lenses making it impossible to read discs. Something I haven't seen a lot of since that era.

Back on subject. I am super excited to see some of these franchises being revived. Now if only companies like WB would go into their back catalog and do the same thing lmao. I know BRC just came out not too long ago, but I love JSR and would love to see a new title in the franchise, or heck, bring JSRF to modern platforms

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't even get me started on the amount of PS2-era consoles that I've seen with faulty optical lasers/lenses making it impossible to read discs. Something I haven't seen a lot of since that era.
I found a PS2 Slim on a farm which it was dirty, 2nd controller/memory port didn't work, but the rest all did. Pretty impressive and it was in blue or something.

Reactions: mituzora

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found a PS2 Slim on a farm which it was dirty, 2nd controller/memory port didn't work, but the rest all did. Pretty impressive and it was in blue or something.
Not surprising, the slims seemed to be built like a tank. I've ran into several people though with the fat model all with issues reading discs. My brother's first one stopped reading discs altogether, his 2nd one had a similar issue. My Wife's fat PS2 still works, but it struggles to read sometimes (could just be a dirty lens in this case) and my friend's fat PS2 doesn't read discs at all anymore. I also had an original Xbox where the Laser stopped reading DVDs (and by extension, games). I think that was a fluke accident though.

I think the moral of the story is to not buy launch hardware and let manufacturers work out all the kinks first lol. I just know a lot of people point fingers at The PS3 and 360 as examples of how bad hardware longevity has gotten, and I think it's misleading at best. Again, there's a whole thing with TSMC switching to lead-free solder and the ball joints cracking after rapid heating and cooling, and this was subject to several Nvidia GPUs, the original PS3, the original 360, and likely several other pieces of silicon that all had the same issue during the mid-to-late 2000s. Once the 360 with the Jasper motherboard came out, and the PS3 with the die shrunk GPU came out, all of those "generic hardware" issues mostly went away.

Edit: I honestly think both the 360 and PS3 were rushed to market too fast and needed more time to cook before releasing to the general public. For sure with the 360! Its been well documented that early run 360s were failing tests left and right and MS couldn't figure it out fast enough for launch, so they just decided to ship it and cover any faulty units, which ended up being disasterous and wildly expensive

Reactions: Marc_LFD

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking of it, is it really fair to say they're reviving Streets of Rage? I mean a new entry is awesome, not denying that, but Streets of Rage 4 is only 3 years old, that's not a dead franchise at this point. Might as well have included Monkey Ball in this announcement, I mean there has gotta be another one on the way, and it was already revived a few years ago with the most recent entry being 2 years old, pretty much putting it in the same boat as Streets of Rage.
And Jet Set Radio... like I would really hyped if an indie dev hadn't already delivered something better than Sega could have in the past 15 years.

Pgmp06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

With The Game Awards announcing dozens of new games, SEGA stole the spotlight by announcing nearly a dozen games on their own. SEGA is bringing back some of its old, most beloved IPs, by revealing five new games. Jet Set Radio, Golden Axe, Shinobi, Crazy Taxi, and Streets of Rage are all getting brand-new games. SEGA calls this a new era for the company, with these games set to release over the next handful of years. Early gameplay can be seen within the trailers, with the Jet Set Radio gameplay looking quite similar to that old supposed SEGA leaked gameplay reel from years ago.

What took sega so damn long to come out with sequels of these games????

RGP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Very hyped for this return, I've finished JSR not that long ago, too bad that is not all that well known.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.