Sega buys Alien franchise!

Is this good news? Do you think Sega will do a good job?

• Yes, I have faith in Sega

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Sega kinda suck right now.

• Maybe, it has potential I guess.

• Total voters

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Sega has inked a deal with 20th Century Fox Licensing and Merchandising for a series of games based on the "Alien" movies, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The publisher, best known for its "Sonic the Hedgehog" video game franchise, is developing multiple next-generation and PC video games set in the Alien universe, including a first-person shooter and a role-playing game, with the first product to ship in 2008.

Rob Lightner, vp business development, said Sega is in talks with actors from the films, including Sigourney Weaver and Lance Henriksen, to reprise their movie roles by providing their likenesses and voice roles for the games.

"We haven't finalized anything at this point, but everything is on the table," Lightner said. "It's important for everyone to understand the difference here: We're taking licensing to the next level with this franchise."

Mike Gallo, senior producer of the "Alien" games at Sega, said the new games will not follow the strict story lines of any of the four films in the series but instead will provide a new experience by drawing from the history and lore that is the foundation of the films.

"We'll go out of our way to tie the games into the films in unique ways," he said. "We're also looking at all 'Alien' source material for inspiration, in addition to the films. We may incorporate some characters that fans know and love, and we may let gamers find answers to questions that were left unanswered in the movies."

There have been about a dozen "Alien" video games, dating to the Atari 2600 game that came out in 1982 and leading to Glu Mobile's cell phone game "Aliens: Unleashed" from 2003. Gallo said Sega's games will stand out from previous efforts thanks to new technology developed for next-generation machines.

"Alien" (1979) and its three sequels have grossed more than $557 million in worldwide boxoffice and garnered two Oscars.

Elie Dekel, executive vp at 20th Century Fox Licensing and Merchandising, said Fox is keeping the "Alien vs. Predator" franchise, which has a second film in production, apart from this game deal. The "AVP" franchise had a best-selling PC video game franchise from Vivendi Games released before the movie bowed in August 2004. She said that although the first "AVP" film did not have a direct tie-in, there could be a new game for the sequel.

Dekel said that Fox has other catalog properties that could turn into long-term game franchises, naming "Big Trouble in Little China," "The Fly" and "Fantastic Voyage."

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
Dekel said that Fox has other catalog properties that could turn into long-term game franchises, naming "Big Trouble in Little China," "The Fly" and "Fantastic Voyage."

OH HELL NO. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO TOUCH BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA.

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sega is not good. outside of smilebit and am2, they don't have a drop of talent left.

Sonic is a special embarrasment. the outsourced gba and ds game, however, are great.

farm out the properties to people that know what they're doing, and let the properties become respected again.

mr_blonde_88

Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"No, Sega kinda suck right now."

Their biggest and probably best studio Sonic Team has been slaughtered... jokes like Shadow The Hedgehog and Sonic The Hedgehog (360) are ridiculous, really.

Expect these games to be either really really good or the biggest load of shite you've played in a while.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sega have some of the biggest original ip right up their with Nintendo... why the heck do they need to buy the rights to the Alien series? Heck a new Shenmue, NiGHTs, Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, Crazy Taxi, HOTD or just about anything would sell better than that Alien crap.
Sega have so lost the plot it's unbelieveable.

I've got stacks of ideas for a new Sonic game, maybe I should get a job at Sega lol? =z

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I find it funny how they buy the rights to the game, and then pass it along for someone else to develop.

Hopefully the upcoming Sonic Wii game will be good.

In other news, the Sonic TV series, the SatAM one (anyone who cares knows what that means) is getting a complete series release on DVD thanks to Shout Factory this March!

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I guess a new FPS with Aliens for the Wii culd be a good idea...
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol