Games and media franchises you know mostly from offbeat/forgotten sources.

tempy_thinker.png

Any number of works have spinoffs, failed sequels, cameos and adaptations that go on to be ignored, reviled or largely forgotten by the world at large. What notable games, books, media works or franchises in general do you only know from things that most people have not heard of, or heard of in recent years? This is mostly a gaming series so if you have those then so much the better but we are definitely open to comics, TV shows, books, films, novelizations, picture book retellings and the like. Even more interesting is many years ago, in what might be said to be an ancient precursor to this series, we had a discussion on legendary games or franchise you have not played so if your primary experience with such things is still one of the offbeat titles then please do note that too. By way of example then I once met someone for whom their primary experience of pokemon was with pokemon snap. With the site being named for a handheld and handheld ports and efforts occupying the space that they do then do share any of those you have here. For instance then while most of these are hardly forgotten or ignored titles I somehow missed the Megaman games on the NES; to that end my first experience was mostly the gameboy offerings, and then megaman battle network on the GBA.

Did such things spur you on towards trying something else? For instance while not impossible that many a science fiction fan would not have read Roadside Picnic (it also inspired a legendary film and is considered a top flight work in its own right) were it not for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. then such things certainly helped it find a new audience. Metro 2033 also saw many give the books a go, and while the Witcher was popular enough in Poland for a film and TV series back in 2001/2002 then it would likely not have been until the 2007 game (or indeed the later patched up version) that many would have explored the books. While it was somewhat inevitable that I would read it my first real experience with the Dune universe was actually the megadrive port of Dune II: Battle for Arrakis. Continuing with legendary science fiction then maybe you only know The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy from the 2005 film, though I will say I will be very impressed if you only know it from the Commodore 64 text adventure.

For my part then a lot of comic book characters I only know from TV shows, mainly as I (nor my friends) ever really read any comics. For instance Batman The Animated series is my primary reference for Batman. 90s Xmen cartoon the same, as is Spiderman (though I did also see the 60s cartoon). Superman then while I probably saw some films back when it is actually the 90s Dean Cain Superman TV show "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman" that forms my primary reference. I would also not be the first person to note that Star Wars is more of a game series to me than it is a film series, and I wonder if given early buzz about the Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order and general cinematic failures of recent films if it might be the same for a whole new generation of kids.
If I know anything of Warhammer then it is actually courtesy of Warhammer: Dark Omen, a somewhat forgotten (but actually quite good) real time strategy game from 1998.
More generally are there any characters you mostly only know from a cameo in a fighting game; more than once "I only know them from Smash Brothers" has been uttered on these forums. To my eternal display many people's main experience with Sonic the Hedgehog is from the Sonic (in name only) Adventure series, which is probably something experienced many times throughout the move to 3d for games, though maybe yours is Sonic 3d for the megadrive. Game wise then I never really played GTA 4 but played the standalone double pack quite a bit, especially lost and damned. Returning to films for a moment then if your experience with the Judge Dredd character is primarily from the 1995 Sylvester Stallone vehicle then please do yourself a favour and pick up either the comics or the more recent film offering.

Have you ever discovered something is in fact a tie in, spin off or the like but courtesy of odd naming you never knew? Warhammer mentioned earlier quite often purposely excludes Warhammer from the name these days, and the Lord of the Rings connection was purposely downplayed heavily for the Shadows of Mordor franchise. While I later played them then at the time I mostly got into the Might and Magic franchise via Heroes of Might and Magic, hopefully nobody suffered the Warriors of Might and Magic and thought that representative of the franchise at large.

Are there any classic works that you experienced via other media? Sherlock Holmes, Beowulf, the stories of king Arthur? Ditto any more adult audience works -- many will note things like Rambo actually got cartoons back in the day, and plenty of people likely experienced a more mature audiences film via a tie in game (I certainly played various Alien games on the megadrive before I ever saw any of the films).

This is part of a series on GBAtemp where we discuss game culture, game mechanics, industry trends and similar such things. In the previous edition we discussed game franchises that rose from the dead, and those which should have stayed dead.

If you have an idea then either make the thread yourself and it could get put on the portal, or get in contact to share some ideas.

So examples from your life of those things mentioned above, and things that have resulted from that; I might never have been able to reasonably state "in the comics" but courtesy of watching said 90s cartoon I knew of the Xmen dark phoenix plotline (and subsequent butchery of it) when the films gave it a stab.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I actually learned about a lot of games through a single game... Namco X Capcom, a collaboration that never came out of japan.
That was also before i learned about SRW OG Saga Endless Frontier, which contained the NxC protagonists.
This is how i discovered that Dig Dug's protagonist had a full name, how he's related to Masuyo(Kissy) from Baraduke, and other stuff like The Tower of Daruga and Bravoman.

I also learned that in this continuity, some game franchises take place in the same universe, either from different cities or different times.

Reactions: DS1

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dragon Quest Monsters for Game Boy Color marked the first time a Dragon Quest game was released in Germany. In the middle of the Pokémon hype it was a great gateway drug for me to get into the whole franchise.

And while I enjoyed the 80s Ninja Turtles as a kid, it was the 2003 show that made me look at the Turtles differently and ultimately lead me to the source material: The much more adult and serious comics by Mirage Publishing which turned me into a real shellhead.

The Mirage Ninja Turtles on the other hand lead me to another legendary comic book series (thanks to several crossovers): Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai which has been ongoing for 35 years now and fills a lot of space in my shelf.

Last edited by bjaxx87,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
everyone knows smash bros made fire emblem being known, before that barely anyone played FE games or even knew about them.

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew about doom 3 before ever knowing about the first two let alone being amazed of all the custom wads for it making it even more interesting to play
Did not know anything about SMT till I played person 3 on a whim and learning of the exhaustive series of smt. I still haven't played the first two games but I really liked nocturne and persona
Same thing can be said for suikoden my favorite franchise of jrpgs playing suiko II way back when blockbuster was still a thing and a little know store called strawberry's

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some expected things, some unexpected things (I believe I said I would be impressed if someone did have the C64 text adventure for Hitchiker's guide so this is that) and some things I should have noted (the Saga vs Final Fantasy Legend thing comes up every so often in ROM hacking forums where we get people wanting to lean into or out from the connection. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles though as a way in for Final Fantasy is a first -- I did once meet someone that had not played final fantasy but had played Vagrant Story which is nominally set in the same universe as Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII, though 12 would be along a lot later, but CC... OK then).

To add to another of mine. Tetris 2 on the NES is probably my first real memory of Tetris.

Also stretching the definition of media but we used to occasionally get the cash grab games dragged across the pond (or pop up on emulator collections) and thus I had no idea Cool Spot was a mascot for a drinks company or the same thing for that cheetah that advertises crisps as they had not made it here (and possibly still haven't). I suppose even more amusing there was playing Rainbow 6 vegas they had adverts for "Axe" body spray that I thought were parodies (the same stuff is called Lynx in the UK).

Looking at my game shelves then it occurs I had only really done Baldur's Gate via Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, which in turn is probably the most exposure I have had to mainstream dungeons and dragons (though I did see the films, including the sequels) outside of a few internet videos on the matter.

what is that image.... its... its beautiful.

It is a spoof/parody of "The Thinker" which is a fairly famous statue often used to show things deep in thought ( https://www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.1005.html ) but with the Temp mascot (in this case the older v2 version from a previous forum skin) https://gbatemp.net/threads/tempy-gbatemp-mascot-graphics.51083/ in place of its head and colour tweaked. If ever we do a little series, sticky, special thread we will often take the mascot and give it a little twist to reflect the content of the series
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbachef-wild-foods-you-collect-and-eat.547944/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/so-you-want-to-learn-to-program.371255/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/merry-christmas.492449/
+ many earlier review banners (example https://gbatemp.net/review/watch_dogs.150/, https://gbatemp.net/review/sniper-ghost-warrior-3.600/ ), though today it is mostly if it makes sense ( https://gbatemp.net/review/ace-combat-7.942/ ).
https://gbatemp.net/threads/photos-video-audio-streaming-and-capture-an-introduction.371279/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-game-of-the-year-2017-voting-playstation.492279/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gaming-perfection-sonic-06.464602/

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Every single Amiga game I've tried is from the water-damaged 800 or so disks collection (99% are pirate) a friend of mine got from a friend of their father's: this in turn resulted into
  • Me buying the iPhone ports of Pinball Fantasies and Pinball Dreams
  • Learning about the Bomberman series (or Dynablaster as it was called on Amiga)
  • as well about the Kick Off series, invented by an Italian in London (spoiler: the Vita release is nowhere as funny as the original without the typos)

I learned about the Super Mario cartoons by having reasonably fast internet around 2007 and finding out the existence of youtube and google video (you know what this means)

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got into anime a while back (on and off for a long time to be honest) but recently I discovered a LOT of anime have PS2 games. I haven't had a chance to play all the ones I want too yet... but so far I love Hokuto No Ken (I hope I spelled that right lol) but Fist of the North Star. It's a pretty solid fighting game with fantastic artwork and is actually fun to play.

Reactions: DS1

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
I was introduced to half-life after I played half-life: opposing force expansion pack, and I didn't know about the main game, or even counter strike until later... And 007 Nightfire was m first console first person shooter split screen game, back then I had never heard of Goldeneye XD

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The kids playing RDR2, and never heard of Gunsmoke, OK Millennials.
To be fair I don't think I could tell you a thing about Gunsmoke and might have only heard the name, this despite watching many episodes of Rawhide, The Rifleman, The Lone Ranger and even some of The Virginian. Despite its popularity and length I think it is one of those things that slipped off the radar.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Full disclosure, the only Gunsmoke I know much about is the NES game. Although I don't believe it had any connection to the TV show. The NES game was the inspiration for the Read Dead games however.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs