'SEGA AGES' Announced for Nintendo Switch

rsz_1sega_ages.jpg

In a press release today, SEGA of America announced that SEGA AGES, the original series that brought classic games to modern consoles, is being rebooted for Nintendo Switch. The series is being developed by M2, the Japanese developer known for ports of classic games such as the popular SEGA 3D Classics series on the Nintendo 3DS.

The first five SEGA AGES titles have been announced, including such notable games as the Sega Master System versions of Phantasy Star and Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Sega Genesis versions of Thunder Force IV and Sonic the Hedgehog, as well as a port of the original arcade version of Gain Ground. This collection will mark the first time that several SEGA titles have had official launches in the West.

6.________IV_____.jpg 4.____________.jpg 2._____________.jpg

This series of retro titles will be launching in Japan, North America, and Europe starting in Summer 2018.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So what makes these roms special or new or unique?

Didnt you knew? Its for the switch.

They could port super mario world to it and sell for $60 and would still be a hit and praised all over. Whoever got a lot of nostalgia, loves indie games and got a lot of spare cash laying around bought this console and remasters/low budget indies became more profitable than ever thanks to it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Or they could have just translated this and the other enhanced port of these games into english for us to play in HD like I been asking for the past few years! :hateit:

sega-ages-2500-phantasy-star-complete-collection.jpg

Are there any translation patches for these?

Last edited by netovsk,
Reactions: Sakitoshi

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or they could have just translated this and the other enhanced port of these games into english for us to play in HD like I been asking for the past few years! :hateit:

sega-ages-2500-phantasy-star-complete-collection.jpg

I've got to say, that looks pretty amazing. Never realized they existed. Never really got into Phantasy Star, though. Personally, I'd just like them to release an SMS/GG emulator for the PC and start dumping as many Master System/Game Gear/Genesis games as they have on there. I mean, I like a good remake and everything, but they've a massive library of games that they don't seem interested in re-releasing that wouldn't require a translation or much effort.

Memfis

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WHY, please say me, WHY bring they this crap to Switch, but not so great things like Shenmue 1+2. I'm so disappointed.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got to say, that looks pretty amazing. Never realized they existed. Never really got into Phantasy Star, though. Personally, I'd just like them to release an SMS/GG emulator for the PC and start dumping as many Master System/Game Gear/Genesis games as they have on there. I mean, I like a good remake and everything, but they've a massive library of games that they don't seem interested in re-releasing that wouldn't require a translation or much effort.
I only recommended this cause it improves everything the original had problems with. Those rpg games don't hold up today, it's very tedious and boring. Some may disagree but I actually tried playing these games. I have Sonic ultimate genesis collection for ps3 and for a game with 3 sequels on the genesis, starting with the first on master system, I can just say that they kept trying to make it better and they eventually did with the 4th game. But was too late, probably why it shifted to the MMORPG style.

If you dare try these classic games, just be warned what I said. Just so you get the idea, here is the first game in a nutshell
  • only 4 playable characters
  • Every enemy you fight is only displayed once on the screen. (Even if there is more than one enemy, there is only multiples of that one enemy during the fight)
  • 3D maze dungeons that remind me of the Windows XP 3D maze screen saver which also was used in Sega's other title, Shining in the darkness.
    3d-maze-2.png
  • highest level in the game is 30
  • grinding is long
  • only 4 bosses
  • no side quest (From what i can remember)
  • expensive items (As said already grinding is long)
  • easy to get lost unless you have a map, use a walkthrough or spend your time exploring "Like a true RPG maniac"
  • random encounters are frequent
  • The game when bought back in 1988 came with a "THICC" instructions booklet just to help international players who never played JRPG games before. (This was one of the first JRPG games in USA)
And that's just the first game, imagine the second one, which also came with a Thick instruction booklet by the way.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only recommended this cause it improves everything the original had problems with. Those rpg games don't hold up today, it's very tedious and boring. Some may disagree but I actually tried playing these games. I have Sonic ultimate genesis collection for ps3 and for a game with 3 sequels on the genesis, starting with the first on master system, I can just say that they kept trying to make it better and they eventually did with the 4th game.

Yea, I ended up playing the 4th the longest (only played 1 and 4), and even that was a bit hard to get into. Admittedly, I've also mostly had my fill of turn-based RPGs for a life-time, so it's now a lot harder for me to actually sit through even the mild grinding in some newer games, but like you say, the old ones were notoriously bad for grinding; honestly, Steam Workshop's ability to offer rom hacks of games would greatly alleviate at least that problem. Honestly, my only interest in Phantasy Star 1 at this point is collection. There's a lot of Game Gear games that are really good, though, and SMS ~= GG, so I keep hoping they finally just release an emulator already and just re-release the games already. And the original Monster World III The Dragon's Trap. And Monster World IV. :)

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just pray that they do put the localized monster world IV game on this collection which I think they should do since it was only available on previous generation consoles and first time outside japan no less. :P

I'm personally hoping for the Shining Force series. I had a Saturn for some time growing up, but the only way to play the series at the time that I knew of was importing from Japan without translations.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm personally hoping for the Shining Force series. I had a Saturn for some time growing up, but the only way to play the series at the time that I knew of was importing from Japan without translations.
I know the shining force series was sorta popular in US but i dunno, the fact that Nintendo got the original team maI am king those mario sports titles (And golden sun... eventually) is beyond me. Still the only one I managed to play was shining force CD which was just a port of 2 Game gear games and enhanced in 16 bit with bonus chapters, but It was a simple game to play for a tactic game compared to stuff like fire emblem, tactics ogre, final fantasy tactics and whatever else people was making.

I am concenred that sega hasn't tried making another game based on the original ones, but maybe it's just cause they don't have team anymore and asking nintendo to borrow them would most likely require system exclusive or something. Probably better to die good than live long enough to be ruined.

Reactions: Maximilious

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hm. Sega wants some of this sweet sweet retro-nostalgia money after seeing Nintendos success with erecting retro derricks over the old-nintendo-console (Minis/Classics) and old games (Remix) and first gen Pokémon fields. Even with introducing the rest of the world to old Japan-only IPs.
Why not?

Mr_dalt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why do they keep making old ports for the switch? "Remember those games you already played? Well now you can play them again on your new £350 console" make new games.......Nintendo is shit!

D

Deleted User

I'd rather see their good games get remade and not emulated. I would gladly pay full price for remakes of games like Skies of Arcadia, Panzer Dragoon and Dragon Force.

Reactions: Captain_N

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Stop being fake news.. Loser..
I'm genuinely not able to link these part of your post to the rest of your post or to any earlier post in these thread, including the OP, in a way that it makes sense to me. :wtf:
Languages these days are evolving/changing at a rate formerly only known to technology it seems.
Yet due to the word loser I assume it's somekind of idiomatic way to express your anger.

It was called Service Games back then, so nah.
Which raises the question what the companys name actually means. What is a Service Game? Games as a service wasn't a think back then and since native English speakers founded the company I highly doub it's a mistranslation of somekind :unsure:

Last edited by VitaType,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm genuinely not able to link these part of your post to the rest of your post or to any earlier post in these thread, including the OP, in a way that it makes sense to me. :wtf:
Languages these days are evolving/changing at a rate formerly only known from technology it seems.
Yet due to the word loser I assume it's somekind of idiomatic way to express your anger.

Basically sega needs to stop sucking and realize the switch exists for more then old ports. Sega would also be smart to place Phantasy Star online 2 on the switch. But they are doing what they always do.....

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!