Shenmue 1 and 2 getting a modern re-release

gSmTsDc.png

With Shenmue 3 hitting later this year, fans have been wondering if they'd see a remaster of the Shenmue series on modern platforms. And SEGA has delivered, revealing Shenmue 1 & 2 re-release for PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 later this year, worldwide. Japan's release will only consist of a PS4 version. Shemue originally released for the Dreamcast nearly 20 years ago, and is notoriously prone to emulation issues, so this new version will finally please many fans of the franchise.

Originally released for the Dreamcast in 2000 and 2001, Shenmue I & II is an open world action adventure combining jujitsu combat, investigative sleuthing, RPG elements, and memorable mini-games. It pioneered many aspects of modern gaming, including open world city exploration, and was the game that coined the Quick Time Event (QTE). It was one of the first games with a persistent open world, where day cycles to night, weather changes, shops open and close and NPCs go about their business all on their own schedules. Its engrossing epic story and living world created a generation of passionate fans, and the game consistently makes the list of “greatest games of all time”.
Story

A tale of revenge.

In 1986, teenage jujitsu artist Ryo Hazuki returns to the dojo of his father, Iwao Hazuki, only to witness his murder by a Chinese man, Lan Di. Lan Di steals a mysterious artifact known as the Dragon Mirror. Ryo vows to avenge his father’s death and sets out tracing Lan Di’s path.

The first game in the series, Shenmue begins the tale as Ryo travels around Yokosuka, Japan, gathering clues about his father’s murder and dealing with nefarious gangsters along the way.

The sequel Shenmue II continues Ryo’s quest, this time crossing the sea to Hong Kong, China. Ryo ventures deeper into the criminal underworld, meeting martial arts masters who aid him on his journey and offer insight into his father’s death, and unravels the mysteries of the Dragon Mirror that his father kept hidden.
Gameplay

• Take the role of Ryo Hazuki.

• Explore a 3D open world searching for clues, examining objects, and talking to NPCs.
  • Battle enemies and bosses making full use of the moves of Hazuki-style jujitsu.
  • Beat quick-time events (QTEs) and mini-games.

:arrow: Source

:arrow: Steam Page

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It better have space harrier and Hang on arcade games in there just like the dreamcast. :creep:

Still hoping for new sonic sega all star racing with him in it too. :P
The world feels alive
Talk to anyone, scour the world for clues
NPCs live independent lives on their own schedule
Faithful recreations of 1980s Japan and Hong Kong, China
Distract yourself with arcade games, collectibles, duck racing, and more

From the Steam page.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The world feels alive
Talk to anyone, scour the world for clues
NPCs live independent lives on their own schedule
Faithful recreations of 1980s Japan and Hong Kong, China
Distract yourself with arcade games, collectibles, duck racing, and more

From the Steam page.
Chary, that is the worst description I ever saw for this game, even though it's fact. That doesn't make me want to play this game if I didn't already know about it.

Shame on steam for even letting that be up there, Duck racing, even if that is in the game, who would advertise that as a selling point! Sega needs better marketing for their games. :blink:

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope there will be voice options to switch the voices from english to japanese and vice versa for both games.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, fuck! Ive been playing the Dreamcast versions on my Steam Machine as a slow lead up to the third game. Now I'm confused on if I want to stop and start over again....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.