Sealed copy of Super Mario Bros. sells for $2 mil, breaks last month's record of most expensive game

1.jpg

In the far-flung past of July 2021, a sealed edition of Super Mario 64--perfectly immaculate and professionally graded--sold for a whopping $1.56 million dollars. That auction set a new record for the most expensive video game ever sold, until it promptly lost that title less than a month later. There's a new record-holder in town, and it's the original Super Mario Bros. The news comes from The New York Times, who reported on the sale of the game, discovering that it was sold not at auction, but on a website called Rally.

Described as "alternative investment", Rally lets its users invest in collectable items, rather than stocks or crypto. The investors buy "shares" of a given physical item, and then are able to vote amongst themselves on whether or not to sell it to prospective buyers. Rally acquired the sealed copy of Super Mario Bros. for $140,000 just last year, and the "shareholders" in the game rejected a buy offer for $300,000. However, when presented a bid for $2 million dollars, the collective majority--about 75%--voted in favor of selling the game to the anonymous buyer.

Graded at A+ level from grading service Wata, much like last month's pricey copy of Super Mario 64, this is the highest-graded version of the game ever. It's a dramatic increase in value compared to how much it was bought for less than a year ago, but regardless, this sale now marks the most expensive transaction of a video game ever.

:arrow: Source

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible, but you & i both know it is very unlikely.

Edit:
We are talking about common sense here. As someone previously posted, something RARE does not make it valuable. A phone with diamonds engraved is not valuable because it is RARE, the Diamonds make it valuable. This copy of Super Mario Bros. is worth what a sealed copy of Mega Man, Metroid, Legend Of Zelda, Castlevania were worth 2 years ago! I do not know the print numbers of any of these games, but own all. Mega Man has always been more expensive for loose, which makes me believe it is much more RARE. What are we really talking about here?

Last edited by RunningSnakes,

Deleted member 331788

Trophies
XP
Country
People are actually now going to think their copy to SMB is going to worth loads, typical "Collectors" marketing. Having some second rate company give it a stupid rating makes it worth $$$$$$ ...well okay ....oh and they put it on a stupid plastic box ...who the heck cares what's inside right ...who really knows what's inside?? The manual could be bent, and the game might not even be that game, or worse it might not even work ...some investment!!! ....people are just F****ing stupid!! It's plastic and paper, that's all ....actual worth is $0.0000000000000000000000000000001 ...if Nintendo or China ever needs any cash they can just run of few copies of the production line ....but this is the just the "Collectors" trying to make retro games popular so they can sell off their worthless investment.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Forgot to link

Deals with the economics of the art market, tax writeoffs and the like.
Might also link

It is possible, but you & i both know it is very unlikely.

Edit:
We are talking about common sense here. As someone previously posted, something RARE does not make it valuable. A phone with diamonds engraved is not valuable because it is RARE, the Diamonds make it valuable. This copy of Super Mario Bros. is worth what a sealed copy of Mega Man, Metroid, Legend Of Zelda, Castlevania were worth 2 years ago! I do not know the print numbers of any of these games, but own all. Mega Man has always been more expensive for loose, which makes me believe it is much more RARE. What are we really talking about here?
For the record diamonds are common rocks really, and can be made artificially well enough too. It is just that the main sources for diamonds in the world are in cahoots and limit the supply to drive up prices (which themselves are backed with some fairly slick marketing).

Also on "holding their value" comment in that
https://freakonomics.com/podcast/di...best-friend-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

As far as megaman vs other things. Rarity is an aspect of it, and when supply gets really low and meets gotta catch em all it can get fun. More likely it a relative scarcity* combined with it being a noted game, and pretty decent (would probably pick one of the sequels if I was showing someone the series for the first time). Had some other observations on what I have seen following the second hand market for games all these years
https://gbatemp.net/threads/predict-future-collectablity-value-of-current-games.592156/
*between what was destroyed and otherwise dumped when the NES was declared a fad toy you are limited, and then have to compete with not only the people rebuying their old childhood games but those that might have played it round a friend's or family member's house, and maybe emulators too.

If this shit happens again next month, it's safe to say this is a tactic to inflate the prices of sealed and new games in general.
Some might say it is actually that the true prices of such games have not been realised yet, and are changing to reflect such things.

Reactions: MetoMeto

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Money laundering right in front of our faces

yeah if its not even a special edition or misprint one of a kind or an unreleased revision, people with tons of money can make dumb decisions and be frivolous but not this frivolous

the jokes on us

they get away with it, garbage publications get their clickbait articles to rally up anger from people living in squalor

everyone wins - except us

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah if its not even a special edition or misprint one of a kind or an unreleased revision, people with tons of money can make dumb decisions and be frivolous but not this frivolous

the jokes on us

they get away with it, garbage publications get their clickbait articles to rally up anger from people living in squalor

everyone wins - except us
I'm among us
omg im so funny :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

SaulFemm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I really want to know is: Why does the gaming world enable this junk by writing articles about it and promoting these things?

Wait, are you suggesting people are spending $2M on video games just to get their name in ink?

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do think I still have a sealed copy of Kid Icarus Uprising with the stand thingy for the 3ds. Bought it but never got around playing it, lol.
How long I have to wait until it's worth a bajillion moolah?

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
PLEASE OH PLEASE IF THERE IS A GOD I PRAY THAT THESE THINGS LOSE VALUE IN A FEW YEARS
You'll need to wait until people who weren't raised on physical media start getting into collecting, and the maniacs who attach any kind of meaning to physical media start dying off.

So, basically, these will start losing value when people like us start dying - or otherwise getting out of collecting. By dying.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sellers will really regret their decision of selling the game now, if the buyer turn out a flipper himself, which is most likely the case, as the game will only increase in value through time, who knows what it'll be worth in the future..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==