Sealed copy of Super Mario Bros. sells for $2 mil, breaks last month's record of most expensive game

1.jpg

In the far-flung past of July 2021, a sealed edition of Super Mario 64--perfectly immaculate and professionally graded--sold for a whopping $1.56 million dollars. That auction set a new record for the most expensive video game ever sold, until it promptly lost that title less than a month later. There's a new record-holder in town, and it's the original Super Mario Bros. The news comes from The New York Times, who reported on the sale of the game, discovering that it was sold not at auction, but on a website called Rally.

Described as "alternative investment", Rally lets its users invest in collectable items, rather than stocks or crypto. The investors buy "shares" of a given physical item, and then are able to vote amongst themselves on whether or not to sell it to prospective buyers. Rally acquired the sealed copy of Super Mario Bros. for $140,000 just last year, and the "shareholders" in the game rejected a buy offer for $300,000. However, when presented a bid for $2 million dollars, the collective majority--about 75%--voted in favor of selling the game to the anonymous buyer.

Graded at A+ level from grading service Wata, much like last month's pricey copy of Super Mario 64, this is the highest-graded version of the game ever. It's a dramatic increase in value compared to how much it was bought for less than a year ago, but regardless, this sale now marks the most expensive transaction of a video game ever.

:arrow: Source

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I haven't heard of Rally, and that sounds pretty cool, and I guess the people who joined in to buy the game for that $140,000 made a healthy profit.
Of course, the idea of games being sold for this much is crazy, I'm just interested in the idea of Rally itself.
It's like buying shares in items instead of companies? For people who can't afford to buy the entire item. Interesting investment idea, but it makes me suspicious of the sale now. Who's the buyer? Is it a stunt by Rally to generate interest and build up hype?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's like buying shares in items instead of companies? For people who can't afford to buy the entire item. Interesting investment idea, but it makes me suspicious of the sale now. Who's the buyer? Is it a stunt by Rally to generate interest and build up hype?
I'm with you on this
They probably simply saw the news of the SMB64 and told themselve "we can do better"
It's probably just made up just to promote themselves

Reactions: DarknessPlay3r

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Smart choice. This will be highly desirable collectors item in museums in the future worth tons of money. People now preserving art is a huge step up compared to the past. Imagine if we preserved works of art in this way from leonardo or da vinci? They would be even worth more now and preserve history alot better.

Reactions: Noctosphere

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-