Hardware SD card mobo pins broken, possible easy/temp fix?

Newhouse-Estates

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everyone. For a while now i have an unpatched switch but the sd card GND pin on the mobo is busted so it will only read text based hekate and cant boot CFW. (Cannot properly read SD card)
I can't get the molex connector fixed right now but i found this on Amazon, it looks like it has an SD card slot attached to it (check photo), It doesn't have info on it but would it be possible to load CFW and homebrew from this?
Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

ttps://www.amazon.com/Atmosphere-Bluetooth-Payloads-Transmitter-Nintendo-64/dp/B08WRPCKT5/ref=pd_lpo_63_t_0/141-7682826-4468059?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B08WRPCKT5&pd_rd_r=47fab0d6-1dcc-4216-a026-39e23bcf4023&pd_rd_w=hbm82&pd_rd_wg=kWEte&pf_rd_p=16b28406-aa34-451d-8a2e-b3930ada000c&pf_rd_r=YFY1BKCN6H6VCYNAGSA8&psc=1&refRID=YFY1BKCN6H6VCYNAGSA8

Attachments

• 51iJ3FignCL._SL1025_.jpg
    51iJ3FignCL._SL1025_.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 232

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, that wouldn't work sadly. I think that's actually a micro USB socket, but either way, CFW can only be loaded from the internal SD (the loader code would need serious reprogramming to look elsewhere). If you look in the hardware subforum there are threads about repairing the SD reader by wiring it to alternative points on the motherboard, or there are members here who could offer a repair service.

Reactions: Newhouse-Estates

Newhouse-Estates

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, that wouldn't work sadly. I think that's actually a micro USB socket, but either way, CFW can only be loaded from the internal SD (the loader code would need serious reprogramming to look elsewhere). If you look in the hardware subforum there are threads about repairing the SD reader by wiring it to alternative points on the motherboard, or there are members here who could offer a repair service.

Okay thanks for your help! it was worth a shot lol.
But yeah il just have to pay someone to fix it, already have a new connector in shipment.

Reactions: hippy dave

Waicol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
This topic comes every once in awhile so i will just quote Mattyfrog that helped everyone to solve this issue temporarily, i still recommend you to find someone that can solder a new component for you as soon as possible because from my experience the wiring will fail at some point because the all the heat (it's close to the CPU) and of course using and moving the console.

View attachment 191749
View attachment 191778
I never did find the correct part. It isn`t a molex.

The thinnest BTB stacking connector they do is too wide (the central raised nipple bit)

So I chopped the ribbon just in front of the smoothing cap on the SD reader and used some AWG40 to go directly to the testpads, keeping the motherboard side intact. Can post a pinout if it would help...

PS: You can find the connector online, it's pretty cheap https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Last edited by Waicol,

Newhouse-Estates

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This topic comes every once in awhile so i will just quotes Mattyfrog that helped everyone to solve this issue temporarily, i still recommend you to find someone that can solder a new component for you as soon as possible because from my experience the wiring will fail at some point because the all the heat (it's close to the CPU) and of course using the console.
Yeah iv went over those images tons of times and i just don't have the know how for it, although i do have the tools.
Its the bottom second right GND pin that's out but might be another one i cant see cuz i hear you can leave it and it should still work. Like i said it boots Hekate but only in text mode so not the green and black one with the big square icons.
Also i think i might try to just soilder directly but not sure the kind of wire i should buy.

Waicol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
If you can post a nice resolution picture of it i can take a look to see what pins are actually broken.

Yeah iv went over those images tons of times and i just don't have the know how for it, although i do have the tools.
Its the bottom second right GND pin that's out but might be another one i cant see cuz i hear you can leave it and it should still work. Like i said it boots Hekate but only in text mode so not the green and black one with the big square icons.
Also i think i might try to just soilder directly but not sure the kind of wire i should buy.
Hekate boots even without an sd card connected, the issue comes when it tries to read it, you can get a full read, a 1-bit bandwith read (everything is slow on this one but still launchs CFW) or not read at all (what you are getting most certainly).

Last edited by Waicol,

Newhouse-Estates

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you can post a nice resolution picture of it i can take a look to see what pins are actually broken.
Yeah il have to use my gfs iPhone to try to get a good close up image, should i make a new thread about this issue itself or just post on this one?

Newhouse-Estates

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Was able to take a picture and once i removed the SD card reader even more pins busted off, now it's gonna need to be replaced completely unless i can get specifics on where to soldier each one :S

Attachments

• CM210315-142135003.jpg
    CM210315-142135003.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: BigOnYa

Waicol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
From you image and comparing it to mattyfrog's pinout you only need to solder two points. The yellow and the blue one, because of the four pins you have busted two of them are ground, so it should be ok to just solder those two pins. Try to find someone that has soldering skills and tools, it should be easy to fix, let's hope there's no more broken pins.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by BigOnYa,

Newhouse-Estates

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Newhouse-Estates

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
me TORONTO
You can Actually replace this connector without hot air. soldering iron is enough for this job, but has to be a delicate tip
Thunder Bay, and iv been to Tdot a few times. nice over there.
Yeah that's what i wanted to do! But again i don't have the tools, although i just found a local shop that will do it for 50 bucks so im golden now!

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thunder Bay, and iv been to Tdot a few times. nice over there.
Yeah that's what i wanted to do! But again i don't have the tools, although i just found a local shop that will do it for 50 bucks so im golden now!
wow, 50bucks is quit deep. Me charge that for usb port works usually LOL

This kind tip should be enough

Attachments

• microSD-socket.jpg
    microSD-socket.jpg
    771.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited by jkyoho,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users