sd card port issue

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by M-O-B, Oct 22, 2018.

1. M-O-B
    OP

M-O-B GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2018
    United Kingdom
    looking for but if info on the sd card module port on the switch mobo.

I seem to have 2 pins missing, and can no long use any sd card, strange how this has happened coz it was working fine for a couple off hours after I put the switch back together.

anyway what I'm looking for is a way to replace or repair these 2 pins, so if anyone knows the trace layout for the port on mobo and the module would you mind posting the details.

thanks in advance. 20181022_072057.

this was it working fine

edit..

ok I've received a switch that has a bit of damage to it, sd card module, right joycon port on mobo, and screen port on mobo.

now first I want to repair is the sd card module as it's one thing that can easily be damaged, now I've got my meter on the sd module and managed to sort of figure most pins out.

only one I'm not 100% with is the orange pin, while testing the pads the ribbon split so I couldn't test for that one.

any way here's my updated diagrams.

mobo pads.

sd port fix.

sd module image 1.
    sd module pinout 1.

I will be doing a hard wire install of this at some point in next day or so, and with a bit of luck the sd card will work again..

Last edited by M-O-B, Nov 21, 2018 - Reason: updated the module port image..
  2. Biggyhead

Biggyhead Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2018
    United States
    Good thing 2.2 has HDD support now lol

0000ff likes this.
  3. M-O-B
    OP

M-O-B GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2018
    United Kingdom
    still need sd card for the main stuff, unless things have changed from when I last read about sxos and usb support or I totally read it wrong.

anyway on a brighter note I seemed to of repaired my module now.

only needed 1 wire solder from mobo dat2 pad going to the module dat2 point.

the other missing pin was gnd.. 20181023_083822.

4. hashcheck1

hashcheck1 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 5, 2013
    Have you got pinout of sd card port on the motherboard. My sd card port damaged as well

5. kylum

kylum GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2008
    United States
    Not sure about 2.2 but I feel that you need to repair or replace the port either way. If you don’t know how to replace ( hot air or IR smd rework station REQUIRED) than don’t even attempt it. Now if you have soldering iron skills you could jumper the two points from port to port using 30 or 40 awg wire. Going from mobo port leg to sd board port leg. Should be straight forward with no pinout needed as long as you understand what you are doing.

How in the hell does that happen anyway?

6. M-O-B
    OP

M-O-B GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I tested the pins on the port on mobo, and these are the required pads.

sd port fix.

mine was the green pin that was missing along with the GND pin next to it.

I managed to get the console to load the sxos but it still didn't find the sd card on the console.

so at least I was able to delete emunand so gave me back 15gb, and was able to back up nand also.

but it wouldn't load hekate or ReiNX or atmosphere.

so I think I should of solder a gnd wire for the missing pin next to the green pin.
    direct wire would probably be the best solution I think, the ports on these are so flimsy any or to much heat would destroy the port.

as for how this happened I have no Idea as it was fully closed up and running all cfw fine, the a few hours later it stopped finding the sd card, just kept getting that stupid boot dat error.

anyway it kind of sorted for now full free space instead of 10gb, and running fine for retail, just without a sd card for now.

kylum likes this.
  7. M-O-B
    OP

M-O-B GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2018
    United Kingdom
    sd card module image 1 updated in the OP with white and orange pins in correct place..

if anyone has the pinout for the right joycon mobo pins, I'd be grateful if you could post it.

I only know pin 10, I'm really only after pin 7 for the right joycon, as I use pin 7 & 10 instead of a jig.

Last edited by M-O-B, Nov 21, 2018
  8. M-O-B
    OP

M-O-B GBAtemp Regular

Jun 23, 2018
    United Kingdom
    decided not to use the original sd card module, as I didn't trust it, so tomorrow I'll be trying this out as an alternative fix for the module, or at least till I find a better solution.

20181121_183955.

but will be looking at getting something like this for a better solution..

sku_429362_1.