SD-Boot Tutorial

Since SD-Boot 1.0 is set to release soon (No release Date) I decided to make a tutorial on how to set-up and properly use Sd-boot (any version including 1.0) sd-boot is a pain to set up so im going to make the best set up tutorial for SD-boot (ON A HOMEBREW ENABLED WII). I used SD-Boot because i have a D3-2 Wii Drive and cant play burned game disc so anyone with a D3-2 Drive and cant afford a modchip like WODE or SUNDRIVER SD-boot is the best option for GC backups

-----------------------------
Hardware Requirements
-----------------------------
SD Gecko (Or any of its Clones Like Wiikey Adapter) Pega SD Adapter OR Wiikey Adpater
2GB SD Card Or MicroSD Card (SDHC Support In SD-boot 1.0)
Orignal Gamecube Disc
SD Card For Wii
Gamecube Backup
SD Card Reader
Gamecube Controller
Wii Or Gamecube
third party gamecube memory card (for save file transfer to SD card)128MB GC Memory Card

----------------------------
Software Requirements
----------------------------
A Wii With Homebrew Channel (Or any homebrew loader) Follow A Separate Guide for this
Gamecube Memory Card Manager (GCMM) For Transferring gamecube saves to sd card and vice versaGCMM
Any Version Of SD Boot
Gamecube Homebrew Launcher 0.2 (Not 0.22)
GCUTILITY (for shrinking gamecube games)

-------------------------------------------
Step 1: Setting Up The Memory Cards
--------------------------------------------
The First thing you must do (If you have homebrew channel) is download gc homebrew launcher 0.2 from HERE and extract it with WINRAR and copy the "patchingwadinstaller" inside the extracted folder to your apps folder on your wii memory card. Then go to homebrew channel put your sd card in and patch your MIOS with RVL-mios-v5.wad.out.wad i am unsure if i can put this file in the download pack im including in the end so im not just in case you can get that file from the (EU) version of Super Mario Galaxy, Brawl, And Mario Kart or download it Using NUSD. after your MIOS is patched put your WII memory card into your PC and copy the "GC
booterhomebrew" subfolder from the folder you extracted earlier to your apps folder. Now go to EURASIA make an account and type sd-boot in the search function and look for the latest version of sd-boot which is SD-Boot v0.4 RC4 download it and extract it. In the extracted folder navigate your way to another rar file called sd-boot-RC4.rar extract it and rename the dol file inside to "Start.Dol" (Without the quotes) and move it to the root of your wii SD Card also if you want to use cheats use the cheats.qch file inside i'll explain where that goes in a moment. now that your wii sd card is set up now its time to set up your SD Gecko SD Card. format that memory card your using for your sd-gecko and make a folder called "GCGAMES" (once again without quotes) inside this folder your Gamecube Iso/GCM files go here and some other versions of sd-boot remeber the cheats.qch file from earlier? copy that file to your GCGAMES folder.

---------------------------
Step 2: Loading Isos
---------------------------
At this point the hard parts done if you followed step one exactly put in ANY ORIGINAL gamecube disc. go to homebrew channel start GChomebrew Launcher and wait for sd-boot to load (if you get any errors you must up step 1) now that sd-boot is loaded plug in your gamecube controller and you should be greeted the option the select speed skip this part (just push A) then after it will ask what slot you SD-gecko is In SLOT A Or SLOT B. SD-gecko should be in slot B if it is hit left of the gamecube controllers DIRECTIONAL PAD and it should say slot B push A in a few seconds it should mount your SD gecko and you should See all your homebrew inside the GCGAMES folder and any Backups it should only be one backup gamecube game because SD-boot V0.4 doesnt support SDHC and a gc backup is 1.35GBs and you only have 2GB SD Card. Anyways click on your gamecube backup and select boot and just keep Pressing A. if you have any problems look at this and see if your backup works SD-Boot Compatibility Some games aren't listed so if yours still dont work wait for Version 1.0 and it could work. after you have everything set up you should explore the options of Sd-boot to get some experience on how to work it.

------------------------
Addition Information
------------------------
GCMM is wii homebrew app to transfer gamecube gamesaves from SD card or vice versa official memory cards do not work thats why third party memory cards are best For Once pretty simple installation.

Most of the items that you need are linked to dealextreme they are cheap but slow shipping (Very reliable though)

you can put your own cheats inside the qch file for games by using the Qchedit.exe inside the SD-boot folder

the prepatcher is used for some gamecube games with multiple dols sd-boot will tell you when its recommended to pre-patch games

i can seem to find the rest of the sd-boot versions off eurasia i'll have to take them off my sd-card i'll upload that and the SdGecko Folder Later

(TO ALL MODS) I may have posted this in the wrong section if i did apologize and if possible please move to correct area

-----------
Thanks
-----------
Emu_Kidid for SD_boot
Mega Man for Gamecube Homebrew Launcher
All those who contributed to the wii hacking scene

----------------
Downloads
----------------
WII SD Card

Reactions: 1 person

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to unsuccessfully maks SD-Boot work for months. I get to the point where it starts the game and then it just stays on a black screen. The test subject is Super Mario Sunshine, a game known to work.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kaosu~Noko said:
did you keep pushing start to skip the cutscenes and what sd-boot version are you using?
It blackscreens after I leave the SDBoot screen; the game doesn't start at all. I used any and all SD-boot versions I could find.

cethy

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for posting this guide!

I have a slight problem though;
When I start the miospatcher, and it asks me to press "A" or "B", my Wiimote desyncs. This lead me to believe that a GC-controller is needed.
But when I put the GC-controller in the first slot, and press A, I simply return to the HBC.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks!

Edit: It seems like it was my SDHC-card that made the installer crash to HBC. I tried another card and the installation started. Only, this time I got several errors after a while: "install returned -1" is one of them... Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong?

pityflame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed the tut, but whenever I start GChomebrew Launcher, it loads whatever gamecube game i have in the disc slot and doesn't load sd-boot :|

hotshot247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when is start gc homebrew launcher or patching wad installer from the homebrew channel, it tells me that it is not a wii application and i click ok and that's it. can somebody tell me what i did wrong? i added gc homebrew launcher and patching wad installer in the apps folder and i put the sd-boot.dol on the root of the wii's sd card and renamed it start.dol and also, i downloaded the mios v5 wad file from NUSD and added it to the root of the sd card. did i miss anything?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision the new...