Homebrew COMPLETED ScummVM

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

Here is a port of the excellent ScummVM engine to the switch. I don't have the time to write a lot of information's right now.. i'll update this post later.

In the meantime, here is the (very minimal) release information from the release page :

INFORMATIONS
  • runs at a pretty good framerate even with HQ scalers
  • default gfx is 2x fullscreen. The game is rendered at 2x the resolution, and (linear) scaled to fit screen. My personnal choice would be fullscreen tv2x thought. 3x fullscreen/windowed is probably a good choice too (less "linear blur")

KNOW BUGS
  • no sfx in some "scumm" engine games (curse of monkey island, full throttle)
  • intro in "the secret of monkey island" CD version hang, audio play fine and can be skipped. Other versions seems to works fine
  • mp3 decoder doesn't seems to work (crash), but this format should not be used anyway

TODO
  • fix "scumm" engine SFX (imuse/dimuse)
  • add touchscreen support
  • fix mp3 decoding (libmad? does it worth it?)

THANKS

• devkitPro and libnx people: fincs, yellows8, plutoo, profi200, WntrMute ....
  • ScummVM team
  • ScHlAuChi for providing a 3.0 Switch! (you rock mate)

PS: this is NOT an april fool :)

Last edited by cpasjuste,

RichKK

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Awesome work, many many thanks and Happy Easter!
IMG_3064.JPG
IMG_3065.JPG

Migz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Here is a port of the excellent ScummVM engine to the switch. I don't have the time to write a lot of information's right now.. i'll update this post later.

In the meantime, here is the (very minimal) release information from the release page :

INFORMATIONS
  • runs at a pretty good framerate even with HQ scalers
  • default gfx is 2x fullscreen. The game is rendered at 2x the resolution, and (linear) scaled to fit screen. My personnal choice would be fullscreen tv2x thought. 3x fullscreen/windowed is probably a good choice too (less "linear blur")

KNOW BUGS
  • no sfx in some "scumm" engine games (curse of monkey island, full throttle) ! :(
  • intro in "the secret of monkey island" CD version hang, audio play fine and can be skipped. Other versions seems to works fine.
  • mp3 decoder doesn't seems to work (crash), but this format should not be used anyway

TODO
  • fix "scumm" engine SFX (imuse/dimuse)
  • add touchscreen support
  • fix mp3 decoding (libmad? does it worth it?)

PS: this is NOT an april fool :)
Hi cpasjuste, do you get any sleep Fella! Great work again! ;)

freevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks VERY much for this! I am currently playing king's quest. The memories... of yonder years...

RichKK

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@cpasjuste Where is the right place to report a potential bug?
Starship Titanic (Windows PC version) launches correctly and starts the game but crashes during the early cut-scene where the starship crashes into the protagonists house.

I've tried with both the 3CD version and the GOG version (both versions have identical files and filesizes anyway) and I've also been on the Scummvm forums where they tell you to download and copy over a custom titanic.dat file into your game folder. All that did for me is make the game crash earlier in the same cut-scene :-)
I checked that the Titanic engine plug-in is included in your build, and it is.
I've also ran the same files on Scummvm on my laptop and they work fine there.
I understand if this is way down your list of fixes, and everything else I've thrown at it runs like a dream. Amazing work :-)
I can put the game files on a cloud site if you wish, just let me know (They are 1.2GB total though!)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I'm freaking shivering. Physically, no joke. Out of joy. LOVE you - man. :)

Impressions: Shivering. It works. Broken Sword works. *raaa* Ok, let's go..

- Scummvm creates a scummvm folder with a saves folder under root (/ ), even though the default saves folder under parent dir /saves gets chosen/used by default - and also holds the saves created by all games. I guess you can simply delete it. But if creation could be prevented, it would be better (less clutter on peoples SD cards).
- Precision cursor movement mode with 2x might be a little slow. ;)

That it so far, I'm not available for the next three hours. :)

rk23s1Q.jpg

pEwRGmy.jpg

rDoaZnK.jpg

nXSPLVT.jpg

dS6cj6N.jpg

DBfniYe.jpg

BySKfGn.jpg

Yiiippiiiee!

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
3x is a genuine option in some games - although cursor emulation speed isn't optimal, when it is chosen - if you could implement a toggle to speed it up by the correct amount some time in the future, that would be a real benefit. :) If not - meh, 2x is fine. :) (All images taken with the default 2x render mode.)

edit: The issue described only (?) seems to affect high res games such as bsword1 - so its not high priority. :)

More images: :)

lhw9gOE.jpg

mvE2mgR.jpg

W88PjM0.jpg

HeP3u0y.jpg

RVl7ipu.jpg

NsZYjDJ.jpg

CcphUPv.jpg

UASXXe6.jpg

DozeZn8.jpg

Adxx2jQ.jpg

URtzMJv.jpg

aGhSmy7.jpg

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Broken Sword 1 freezes after just a few interactions, at seemingly random points. Image is still on screen (if it doesnt crash during a fade to black transition ;) ), but the switch requires a reboot.

To replicate, load into the game, pick up the newspaper (B), enter the café - if it doesnt crash, exit the café, move "north" to towards the animated worker, a in game sequence should trigger, which brings you back into the café - and shortly thereafter the game should crash. Takes only a few seconds to replicate.

If tried this with german subtitles enabled - will try to replicate at its default state (still - german version) and give an update.

salamandrusker

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Broken Sword 1 freezes after just a few interactions, at seemingly random points. Image is still on screen (if it doesnt crash during a fade to black transition ;) ), but the switch requires a reboot.

To replicate, load into the game, pick up the newspaper (B), enter the café - if it doesnt crash, exit the café, move "north" to towards the animated worker, a in game sequence should trigger, which brings you back into the café - and shortly thereafter the game should crash. Takes only a few seconds to replicate.

If tried this with german subtitles enabled - will try to replicate at its default state (still - german version) and give an update.

Yes, it has random errors in the games is not 100% stable in all games. There should be some update that works at least as in the mobile / cell

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
@salamandrusker: More information might be helpful. :) Did you have the crashes in other games as well, or in Broken Sword in particular? If in bsword1, which language version?

Did some more testing. Crashes arent location specific - but seem to happen at transitions, beginning of dialogue... With subtitles disabled, I could play longer stints until a crash occured, but ScummVM crashed eventually. I also got a first crash to a ScummVM error screen - I'll upload a photo of it asap. Also, fun state, the Switch is in at that point. :) The brightness (longpress home) menu still can pop in, mouse cursor is moving. The home button doesnt work though, and capturing a screenshot (screenshot button :) ) fails with an error message (x besides the image icon), I've never seen prior to this. :)

I like it.. ;)

edit: And after writing this, cursor movement also froze.. :) (On the scummvm error screen)
error screen:
uxgmell.jpg

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Also - may I suggest a Button mapping that also maps a few more keyboard keys necessary for completing some games?

F.e. this was the mapping of a more recent Xbox v1 port:
ScummVM 1.4.0 ported by A600

This is a ScummVM port for the Xbox1, possible thanks to the hard work of
the ScummVM team and the SDLx libs by Lantus.

It features all the 1.4.0 supported engines, MP3, Vorbis, Flac, AAC
and FluidSynth (the MT32 emu isn't included because the Xbox lacks
the power to handle it). All HQ scalers should work.

The file xbox.patch is the diff patch against the 1.4.0 branch
https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm.git

What's new:

- Unlike previous versions, only games officially supported are included.
- Changed compiling options to gain 3 MB of memory.
- Added numeric keypad "emulation" with the right analog needed by, for example,
the "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" fights (big thanks to zx81 for the
analog joystick source code)
- Digital pad used for cursor keys and Y button for the ENTER key.
- Fixed a pretty big memory leak when using fluidsynth and returning to the launcher.
- Fixed a bug where F5 key wasn't released after returning to the launcher.
- Now screen options are loaded from xbox.cfg so there is no need to edit the
scummvm.ini anymore.
IMPORTANT: If you have an xbox.cfg from the 1.3.0git Update1, delete it because
it may hang the Xbox.
- Added the libfaad2 lib needed by The 7th Guest iOS (untested)
- Added keys needed by Lands of Lore (check the controls list for more details)
With this controller configuration, LOL is more than playable. I finished the game
without problems and, in fact, I prefer the gamepad to the keyboard + mouse combo.

CONTROLS
--------

Left Analog -> Move Cursor
Dpad -> Arrow keys. In the select game dialog, left=pgup, rigth=pgdown
A -> Left Button
B -> Right Button
X -> Escape
Y -> Enter. In Lands of Lore, attack button for all party members (F1+F2+F3)
Back -> R (Rest party in Lands of Lore)
Start -> ScummVM Menu
Left Trigger -> Increases cursor speed while pressed. In Lands of Lore, turn left
Right Trigger -> Decreases cursor speed while pressed. In Lands of Lore, turn right
White -> F5
Black -> Virtual Keyboard
Right Analog -> Numeric keypad as shown below
Right Analog Thumb -> KP5

7 8 9
\ | /
4 - 5 - 6
/ | \
1 2 3

[...]

Number keys for example are used for "fighting" in the Indy games, where the game expects you to hit inputs on reaction, so bringing up the software keyboard and entering them that way, doesnt necessarily work. :)

The config above is overly concerned with inputs in "Lands of Lore" (must have been new at the time.. :) ), but numberkeys and direction keys mapping (keyboard) should help to make a few more games actually playable on the plattform - so they in general are a good thing to have. :)

edit: Indy 4 seems to run stable. No surprise crashes. :) Also - I was able to beat Biff the bouncer in combat just using the on screen keyboard - but it wasn't very fun. (Just indicating, that no num key mapping might not be gamebreaking for the Indy games. :) )

Also fiddled around a bit more with precision mode.. It is really "precise" when you hit R1, but then for stuff like changing sound volume, it almost needs to be (ScummVM UI requires very precise inputs)... In game it could be a little less "slow" from a gameplay perspective - but it isn't a must.

I can try bsword1 on the ScummVM version you ported (Win) to see if its a regression of scummvm - if needed. Played through the game on an early version of ScummVM (1.6.0) with the same dataset, so it shouldnt be a "rom" (dataset) related issue.

- edit: One more very optional thing. :) Allow for switching the A and B button. Primary button on the switch is A, and after playing many games that used that convention... I didn't want to use B as leftclick.. ;)

- edit2: Broken Sword 2 seems to run without crashes. I'll recheck my version of bsword1. :/ Only differences I noticed are, that the save menu in bsword2 is "list only" (button to switch it to images, doesnt seem to work).

Last edited by notimp,

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@salamandrusker: More information might be helpful. :) Did you have the crashes in other games as well, or in Broken Sword in particular? If in bsword1, which language version?

Did some more testing. Crashes arent location specific - but seem to happen at transitions, beginning of dialogue... With subtitles disabled, I could play longer stints until a crash occured, but ScummVM crashed eventually. I also got a first crash to a ScummVM error screen - I'll upload a photo of it asap. Also, fun state, the Switch is in at that point. :) The brightness (longpress home) menu still can pop in, mouse cursor is moving. The home button doesnt work though, and capturing a screenshot (screenshot button :) ) fails with an error message (x besides the image icon), I've never seen prior to this. :)

I like it.. ;)

edit: And after writing this, cursor movement also froze.. :) (On the scummvm error screen)
error screen:
uxgmell.jpg

I did play around 2 hours without any crash with the real CD version, not the one from the emulation site. So I guess it's also related to the game "format". I'll take a closer look next week anyway :)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I did play around 2 hours without any crash with the real CD version, not the one from the emulation site. So I guess it's also related to the game "format". I'll take a closer look next week anyway :)
Thank you for the feedback - I played about 30 min of bsword2 without crashes - so I'll recheck my version (salvaged from an Xbox v1 with a harddrive that was on the brink of flaking out, so maybe file integrity is issue here.. :) Also - I'm not using the obvious rom resources either.. I have better ones, for those type of games. ;) ).

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Did the best in depth analysis I could, and still experience the crashes.

Sourced a new known good copy of the game (.flac and .pal encodes, compared to ogg encodes on the videofiles - both flac and ogg work in this port, btw. :) ). Compared md5 checksums. One videofile and one .wav file are different in my first version source (wav is the file thats listed as "dont copy it from disc2" in the scummvm datafiles sheet), and of course all video audio files (ogg vs flac) - but neither of those should be the culprite (later game resources).

Apart from that, all md5 hashes matched.

Booted up the known good new version, and got just the same crashes as before.

Steps to reproduce:

- Happens with both the german and english language versions of the game.

- Add the game as usual, leave settings at default, except for one setting. Override default audio settings and set speech and subtitles to "both" (as in use both), click ok to add the game.

- Start the game, skip the first cutscene. After the first sentence or two.

- Pick up the newspaper (B button). Let the dialogue audio play for the first textparagraph, then skip it with B until it ends.

- Go into the café - and the game should crash.

- If not (happened to me once out of 3 attempts), leave the café - go north towards the animated worker, an in game sequence should trigger that brings you back to the café, after some additional dialogue, the game should crash. (happened to me twice).

- If not, play a little further until you enter the "underground of Paris", and again - the game should crash. :) (Happened to me once, this time with the error message I posted earlier.)

@cpasjuste: Ill try the english language version next - got to hunt down those potential differences. It is very important to me that _this_ game works. :)
edit2: tried the english language version an it crashed at the same spot (the first one).

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: cpasjuste

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over