Homebrew COMPLETED ScummVM

RichKK

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@cpasjuste Where is the right place to report a potential bug?
Starship Titanic (Windows PC version) launches correctly and starts the game but crashes during the early cut-scene where the starship crashes into the protagonists house.

I've tried with both the 3CD version and the GOG version (both versions have identical files and filesizes anyway) and I've also been on the Scummvm forums where they tell you to download and copy over a custom titanic.dat file into your game folder. All that did for me is make the game crash earlier in the same cut-scene :-)
I checked that the Titanic engine plug-in is included in your build, and it is.
I've also ran the same files on Scummvm on my laptop and they work fine there.
I understand if this is way down your list of fixes, and everything else I've thrown at it runs like a dream. Amazing work :-)
I can put the game files on a cloud site if you wish, just let me know (They are 1.2GB total though!)

@cpasjuste , I can confirm that @notimp has also experienced the same crash at the exact same place as me with 2 different versions of Starship Titanic.

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@cpasjuste , I can confirm that @notimp has also experienced the same crash at the exact same place as me with 2 different versions of Starship Titanic.
Yes im aware of the "random not so random" crashes. I may have isolated the problem in my sdl2 audio code (disabling the "play" function prevent any of those crashes). Unfortunately I was not able to fix it yet (spent my week-end on this :/). I'll continue my searching.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I feared something like this... Take your time. I can tell everyone in here that by now I've played about 3 hours of Broken Sword 2 - without any issues, two hours of LSL 7 - without any issues, and two hours of Gabriel Knight 1 (CD, talkie) - also without any issues. Two hours of Indy 4 (CD, talkie) - without any issues, one hour of Myst - without any issues, and I'm sure the list can be continued for a while... :)

If you are starting out with ScummVM, and haven't played many adventures before - Broken Sword 2 is probably the best fit out of those, then Indy 4 (Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. CD version, with voices (= talkie)); GK is a great game in terms of flavor as well, but the potential puzzle rooms are just a bit large for - well, anyone.. ;) (Also, remember that you can leave New Orleans at a certain point during Day1 by clicking on what would not seem to be a location marker on the map. :) )

Here are a few more details on the bsword1 crash, if it helps - the first time I loaded up the game, going straight into the café without picking up the paper (triggering dialogue?), the crash didn't occur (thats the random part of "not so random".. ;) ). When doing testing with subtitles turned off, I got more "milage" between crashes, although bsword1 eventually crashed again. But this time to the debugger log in Scummvm, which was a first.

(Also - I'll add a fourth/fifth point to the "could be enhanced list" one page back. In many hires games, when you pull up the on screen keyboard, the cursor becomes quite small, so small in fact - that you walk into a contrast issue of loosing the predominantly white cursor on the white on screen keyboard keys. Two ways to fix this, make the cursor bigger, or increase contrast. LSL 7 is a good hires game to test this in, as it requires full phrase keyboard inputs from time to time.

//I'll add it to the list on the previous page - so my suggestions are bundled in one place.

But then the point is - none of this is pressing at all, we have hours upon hours of adventures to play that dont necessarily seem to be impacted by the bug you are trying to hunt down. :) )

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: RichKK and ipkryss

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I feared something like this... Take your time. I can tell everyone in here that by now I've played about 3 hours of Broken Sword 2 - without any issues, two hours of LSL 7 - without any issues, and two hours of Gabriel Knight 1 (CD, talkie) - also without any issues. Two hours of Indy 4 (CD, talkie) - without any issues, one hour of Myst - without any issues, and I'm sure the list can be continued for a while... :)

If you are starting out with ScummVM, and haven't played many adventures before - Broken Sword 2 is probably the best fit out of those, then Indy 4 (Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. CD version, with voices (= talkie)); GK is a great game in terms of flavor as well, but the potential puzzle rooms are just a bit large for - well, anyone.. ;) (Also, remember that you can leave New Orleans at a certain point during Day1 by clicking on what would not seem to be a location marker on the map. :) )

Here are a few more details on the bsword1 crash, if it helps - the first time I loaded up the game, going straight into the café without picking up the paper (triggering dialogue?), the crash didn't occur (thats the random part of "not so random".. ;) ). When doing testing with subtitles turned off, I got more "milage" between crashes, although bsword1 eventually crashed again. But this time to the debugger log in Scummvm, which was a first.

(Also - I'll add a fourth/fifth point to the "could be enhanced list" one page back. In many hires games, when you pull up the on screen keyboard, the cursor becomes quite small, so small in fact - that you walk into a contrast issue of loosing the predominantly white cursor on the white on screen keyboard keys. Two ways to fix this, make the cursor bigger, or increase contrast. LSL 7 is a good hires game to test this in, as it requires full phrase keyboard inputs from time to time.

//I'll add it to the list on the previous page - so my suggestions are bundled in one place.

But then the point is - none of this is pressing at all, we have hours upon hours of adventures to play that dont necessarily seem to be impacted by the bug you are trying to hunt down. :) )
Thanks again mate. I think it could be a good idea to send you a build with audio completely disabled to see if it really fix all your crashes. I'll try to do that tomorrow.

Reactions: ipkryss

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I'm available for testing. Drop me a PN whenever you need me. :) (It will probably reach my attention faster, than the email you have from me.. :) Although I read those as well. :) )

m_fergy

Trophies
XP
Country
Just wondering which version of The Secret of Monkey Island you are using because every time I talk to the 3 pirates at the start of the game it crashes?

Thanks

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Didn't play monkey1 this far, but I'll test a few. :) (CD versions, fmtowns, ...) maybe will find out something that could be useful in tracking down the bug. :) Also thank you for what sounds like another early case where you could test an ocurance of the crash. :)

Also - to anyone thinking about trying out Broken Sword 2 currently (as it doesnt crash... :) ), use the custom sliders for volume. Set them to 66 / 133 / 192 or something alike (at least if you use the Switch in mobile mode (speakers on the device)). The default sound mix is quite bad, with the BG music track drowning out dialogue and effects alike. (Setting custom volume settings didn't prevent the crashes in bsword1, tested that earlier as well. :) )

edit: Had no issues with monkey1 DOS and DOS/CD while talking to the three pirates. Game didn't crash.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
New error. :) There is no /dev/null on the switch (*bwahaha!*).

Kings Quest 7 crashes to this illustrious error on boot:

CyysNK0.jpg

Same version of the game works fine under a Windows install of ScummVM (current stable).

This btw. is the *first* ScummVM supported game that wouldnt launch on the Switch for me. :)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I would have answered, that this is a bad idea, since all those engines should be expected to be in unfinished states, probably in very unfinished states, and this would defeat the purpose of having a release milestone, or even a SVN release including the engines that were at least proposed for the next full release, but then I saw, that among them is a Cthulhu Game, with definitely-not Jack Nickolson ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Comet ), so now I'm torn... ;)

call-of-cthulhu-shadow-of-the-comet_5.gif

Still - probably would not be the best idea to have *very* unfinished engines in a public build... :)

Also, the engines are currently being developed outside the main ScummVM development tree, so it would be a hazzle integrating them (as in "one by one", with an emphasis on hazzle), so ... No. ;)

edit: Here is an example of what "state" those not officially supported engines could be in, still using the "definitely not a Jack Nicholson game" example from above: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=7955&sid=c077deccfe8e0efa3121b787fd2371e2 :)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: cpasjuste

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is it possible to add other engines from http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Engines ?

I would really love to play Pink Panter on my switch:
https://github.com/AdamRi/scummvm-pink/tree/master/engines/pink
Should be easy yes, the problem is maintaining this as it's not shipped with vanilla source code. I will think to it.

Edit: didn't saw @notimp answer, which is by far more complete and correct than mine :) But the point is the same, it's too difficult to maintain.

Last edited by cpasjuste,
Reactions: Cubuss

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Once this gets touchscreen support I'll play Day of the Tentacle (once again). =)

Very tasty! By the way, has anyone found out a good stylus that works with the Switch? Touching seems to be better than moving a mouse corner around but it's still not so cool to aim for small lines of text (as can be seen in your video as well) so a stylus would be very cool for ScummVM. Unfortunately it seems like it's not too easy to find one. People on reddit are saying default Android/iOS stylus don't work on the Switch.

Last edited by lordelan,
Reactions: Masterwin

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
A stylus would be pretty much useless for ScummVM on the Switch. :)

If you look at the video again, touchmode is implemented in ScummVM as an indirect interface, meaning, you use it as a "trackpad" not as a "direct input device".

If this is still too conceptually "high level" watch the video again. When you "touch the screen" stuff happens where the cursor is, not where you touched the screen.

This is especially useful, as it allows 2 finger simultanious tap > rightclick, which works like a charm in the current test build. Also it can be done on an "unused" part of the screen, so you never "miss" anything by dragging your fingers around.

In short - touchscreen support is very, very good as is. Detach the switch controllers to save weight, use both hands. Its more ergonomical than using a controller - which isn't something I would have imagined ever saying.

I've already played through Indy 4 using touch - and a stylus would be more of a hinderance than a benefit. The ergonomics are that good - "as is".

The build I'm currently one, cant effectively send detached controllers to sleep and cant trigger F5 (ScummVM menu) from touch alone - but those are basically the only downsides for touch interfacing currently (also having less buttons mapped > not being able to open the software keyboard... but in many games you don't need to).

(In the video I'm holding a cameraphone with one hand, so you cant see the actual navigation speed. :) )

Last edited by notimp,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A stylus would be pretty much useless for ScummVM on the Switch. :)

If you look at the video again, touchmode is implemented in ScummVM as an indirect interface, meaning, you use it as a "trackpad" not as a "direct input device".

If this is still too conceptually "high level" watch the video again. When you "touch the screen" stuff happens where the cursor is, not where you touched the screen.

This is especially useful, as it allows simultanious tap > rightclick, which works like a charm in the current test build. Also it can be done on an "unused" part of the screen, so you never "miss" anything by dragging your fingers around.

In short - touchscreen support is very, very good as is. Detach the switch controllers to save weight, use both hands. Its more ergonomical than using a controller - which isn't something I would have imagined ever saying.

I've already played through Indy 4 using touch - and a stylus would be more of a hinderance than a benefit. The ergonomics are that good - "as is".

The build I'm currently one, can effectively send detached controllers to sleep and cant trigger F5 (ScummVM menu) from touch alone - but those are basically the only downsides for touch interfacing currently (also having less buttons mapped > not being able to open the software keyboard... but in many games you don't need to).

(In the video I'm holding a cameraphone with one hand, so you cant see the actual navigation speed. :) )
Alright, understood. Seems to be the best solution. Can't wait for a proper release of that man. :)

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@notimp @cpasjuste :
Where would I have to put the games?
I can't get above the actual app folder. That's why I put them there but even that won't work.
Actual structure:
sd:/switch/scummvm/scummvm.nro
sd:/switch/scummvm/ScummVM/ (<- took that folder from my RetroArch rom collection)
inside that folder I have the following:
sd:/switch/scummvm/ScummVM/tentacle-de/actual game files
sd:/switch/scummvm/ScummVM/monkey/actual game files

When I try to add a game the ScummVM folder (inside my scummvm folder) appears but there's nothing in it.

Nevermind.

Has to be this way:
sd:/switch/scummvm/tentacle-de/actual game files
sd:/switch/scummvm/monkey/actual game files

Last edited by lordelan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night