Hardware Screen (Samsung TV) randomly turns black (mainly at 4k 60fps)

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
OP
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
For almost a year I have the problem that if I have connected my computer on my Samsung TV via HDMI 2.0 the screen turns black for 2 - 5 seconds in random intervals (sometimes nothing happens for 2 hours. Or the screen turns black and recovers every second minute).
First I thought it was an issue with my graphics card. But then I have noticed the same issue with my Wii U (but really really seldom). So I think it's a matter of the TV. I have talked with the seller but he had no idea. I have tried disabling all the eco functions. But it didn't help. The used cables and plugs are all fine.
Has anyone of you had and solved such a situation?

Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Strix (click for datasheet)
TV: Samsung UE48HU7590 (click for manual pdf)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Had something similar for someone else the other day for someone, turns out the amp (it did HDMI switching, video, scaling and everything) was on the way out and causing it to work harder (in this case by getting it to do some upscaling) would see it blank out. 4k60 is a lot of pixels to push which is presumably why the wiiu's 108060 does it less.

So yeah would be inclined to point a finger at the TV. Alas not many things scenarios here are good. The best would be if it is just overheating a bit (and if your flag is accurate then it has been rather warm there of late), you still have a warranty I imagine so probably best not to pull it apart but if you do want to take the back off, blow any dust out and check any fans/heatsinks are doing as they should then do so. Second would be a capacitor has cooked itself, I can not say I have seen it on a 4k TV yet but it sounds like you have had a screen over a year and it has been well used then it is far from impossible. After this comes the annoying stuff like failing BGA under a chip, failing ribbon connection on the screen (though you are more likely to see lines/stripes in that scenario) and really annoying stuff like failing chip on a driver board (replace it is about the only way).

There are a few others (dodgy leads/connections, some kind of software/HDCP issue, some kind of edid issue) but from what you describe it is probably not that. If I have time later I will have a look to see if anything else has been reported (hopefully that model is not some country specific one) but I am still leaning towards the stuff in the previous paragraph.

Reactions: CosmoCortney

CosmoCortney

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks!
I personally doubt it's a cooked or dried out capacitor since the problem first appeared as I've got my 4k supportive GFX card. That time the TV was 5 months old. I still have almost one more year of warranty and will bring it to the shop where I have got it from if it turns out being a hardware issue.
Buy maybe the TV is just overheating. The right side really gets hot and its one of those TVs that have a fan inside.
You can't imagine how annoying this is especially when playing a game..

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
@CosmoCortney did you try other HDMI cables?
All Samsung TV sets that I own and had seen are less tolerant to errors in the data they receive through HDMI cables especially with 1080p and above sources, while TV sets from other vendors are way tolerant to data errors using the same cables and sources.
You don't need any "future proof" Monster-like cables, but ideally you should avoid no brand cables.
This sounds redundant to any person that used HDTV sets but unfortunately the cable quality issue seems to hit harder Samsung sets than others.

CosmoCortney

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks, obrigada, well, the HDMI cable is just fine. I can even softly rattle on it without anything to happen. I have retried using another cable and it was way worse this time! I had to hold the connector tilted up on the GFX card to get any signal. But no need to do this with the other cable. It needs a kindly strong rattle for the screen to go black. But such a force is never applied to the connector. But the effect was the same. Video and audio were gone for 2 - 5 seconds.
Now I'm more confused than before.. Is it a faulty HDMI plug since the effect was the same?
Or still the TV because I have experienced the same while playing on my Wii U.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks, obrigada, well, the HDMI cable is just fine. I can even softly rattle on it without anything to happen. I have retried using another cable and it was way worse this time! I had to hold the connector tilted up on the GFX card to get any signal. But no need to do this with the other cable. It needs a kindly strong rattle for the screen to go black. But such a force is never applied to the connector. But the effect was the same. Video and audio were gone for 2 - 5 seconds.
Now I'm more confused than before.. Is it a faulty HDMI plug since the effect was the same?
Or still the TV because I have experienced the same while playing on my Wii U.
I really dunno, most of times I've seen this kind of problem with Samsung sets it seemed to be low bandwidth in the cables or poor signal stability, probably due to poor or no shielding in the cable.
In your case it may be a combination of both, problems with the cable and the TV connector, just in case and if it's possible I would try sending the TV to a checkup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-