Scientists Create "Smart Skin"

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    One of a Terminator's most essential features is its human-like skin - it allows the hulking, steel killing machines to appear as hulking, fleshy people.

Of course, we're a long way from creating anything like that (though with time travel, that's sort of irrelevant). Still, it's all about baby steps, and mimicking the sense of touch is a good first start, as researchers from both China and the United States are sure to tell you.

Cue article...
    [​IMG] BBC

Simulating the sense of touch? What a sensation! And hey, watch out, internet. Robots will finally know "that feel" you so often speak of.

Anyway, I'm not going to pretend to understand all of the finer intricacies behind this mechanical marvel. It's easier to just use Frankenstein logic - Electricity is magic. Good enough for me!

So, what should the official theme song for this development be? Stan Bush's "The Touch" seems like the obvious choice, but the Rocky Horror Picture Show's "Touch-a Touch-a Touch-a Touch Me" is quite a bit catchier. What do you think? Cast your vote at thisisntanactualpollyadingus@gmail.com!

2. Squirps

Squirps Official Squirps of GBATemp.net™

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    The corner in that dark alley.
    Better not let the robots start touching dem boobies... :P

3. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    High density packet of these sensors = robo penis.

4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    We have some amazing technology, and what do we say about it? That it can touch Genitalia.

5. dickfour

dickfour Banned

Banned
    Jun 20, 2011
    United States
    Dose this mean when I have sex with a robot it'll be able to since penetration and act accordingly? I hope they can make that smart skin silky soft.

6. Squirps

Squirps Official Squirps of GBATemp.net™

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    The corner in that dark alley.
    Pretty much, yeah. :D

But in all seriousness, this honestly is some pretty awesome stuff. I'm actually curious to see how the robots will "store" these feelings and how the data collected can be used can be interpreted to carry out other commands. Who knows? Maybe this can also be used to train robots to eventually learn how to perform operations on humans autonomously and shit. :P

Warning: Spoilers inside!