Scientists Create "Smart Skin"

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of a Terminator's most essential features is its human-like skin - it allows the hulking, steel killing machines to appear as hulking, fleshy people.

Of course, we're a long way from creating anything like that (though with time travel, that's sort of irrelevant). Still, it's all about baby steps, and mimicking the sense of touch is a good first start, as researchers from both China and the United States are sure to tell you.

Cue article...
A team from the US and China made an experimental array that can sense pressure in the same range as the human fingertip.

The advance could speed the development of smarter artificial skin capable of "feeling" activity on the surface.

The sensors, which are described in Science magazine, could also help give robots a more adaptive sense of touch.
arrow.gif
BBC

Simulating the sense of touch? What a sensation! And hey, watch out, internet. Robots will finally know "that feel" you so often speak of.

Anyway, I'm not going to pretend to understand all of the finer intricacies behind this mechanical marvel. It's easier to just use Frankenstein logic - Electricity is magic. Good enough for me!

So, what should the official theme song for this development be? Stan Bush's "The Touch" seems like the obvious choice, but the Rocky Horror Picture Show's "Touch-a Touch-a Touch-a Touch Me" is quite a bit catchier. What do you think? Cast your vote at [email protected]!

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dose this mean when I have sex with a robot it'll be able to since penetration and act accordingly? I hope they can make that smart skin silky soft.

Squirps

Official Squirps of GBATemp.net™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We have some amazing technology, and what do we say about it? That it can touch Genitalia.
Pretty much, yeah. :D

But in all seriousness, this honestly is some pretty awesome stuff. I'm actually curious to see how the robots will "store" these feelings and how the data collected can be used can be interpreted to carry out other commands. Who knows? Maybe this can also be used to train robots to eventually learn how to perform operations on humans autonomously and shit. :P

But I do admit, my first thought was definitely "BOOBS." :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    oh btw, did you know that the teenage mutant ninja turtles is having an r rated live action movie?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I did not know that
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but it would make sense
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    just look it up
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    from the perspective that the original audience that saw it as kids are now grown adults
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I heard the original comic books were as dark as that
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    it's called the last ronin
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    while that was a kid-friendly endeavor, this new take will adapt the story Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin. The outlet notes that this new iteration is being written by “Tyler Burton Smith, who co-wrote the upcoming R-rated action movie Boy Kills World and who wrote the 2019 iteration of Chucky horror franchise Child’s Play.”
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    The film, titled ‘The Last Ronin,’ will be targeted at adults and promises a high-body count tale
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I grew up with the 2012 show
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    so yeah, they're will be lots of kills
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    so kinda like how they went r rated in the Loan movie for wolverine
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    and remember that time when someone had the idea to make scooby doo r rated?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    where shaggy is a stoner and a pothead?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    that's a true story
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Mondooooo, the first scooby doo live action film?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    it's cancelled and not in the works anymore
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they kinda implied it, and joked about it in the cartoon attorney harvey birdman
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    im gonna binge watch metalocalypse, any tips?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty yeah in th elive action Shaggy meets a girl that introduces herself as "Mary jane" shaggy responds "thats my favorite name"
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    damn
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    the james gunn scooby doo is wild
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, it also had several deleted scenes
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    i wish someone could remake it or leak the footage
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    it would be the best discovery known to mankind
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: it would be the best discovery known to mankind