"School-themed" RPGs

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess it's sort of a niche genre, but can anyone suggest me one outside of the MegaTen universe (Persona included)? Preferably one in English as well xD

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Usually such a thing makes me switch off (it certainly does for anime) but I will try.

The main reason I am here though is to mention School Daze and Back to School on the ZX spectrum.

For DS games you have the already mentioned Magical Starsign. I will throw in Doodle hex (not quite and RPG mind).

Being a popular anime/disney/nickelodeon setup there are several Japanese only games (anime/manga based and standalone) and cash in platformers/crude RPGs based upon Disney/Nickelodeon shows, every console this side of pong has had these games. Most Japanese RPGs (megaman, medabots, pokemon, robopon etc) will have a school level but in all cases it is little more than a map.

Otherwise I will have to mention Bully/Canis Canem Edit on several platforms, again it is not an RPG per se (best way to describe it would be GTA3: school version).

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I've played Magical Starsign and Bully; both of them were good but I didn't enjoy the whole "Harry Potter"-ish vibe of Magical Starsign, which probably means I won't enjoy the stile of GrimGrimoire either. =/

Anyways, right now I'm working my way through the two Persona 2 games after playing Persona 3 and watching GiantBomb's Persona 4 "Endurance Run". Which means I'll have my hands full for a while, but thanks for the suggestions anyways
biggrin.gif

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
would you call super dodgeball school-themed and a rpg?

then id like to suggest that

---------------
off topic, how do you differentiate rpg from adventure?

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jan777 said:
would you call super dodgeball school-themed and a rpg?

then id like to suggest that

---------------
off topic, how do you differentiate rpg from adventure?
First off, Super Dodgeball's an action game, there's really nothing else you can call that game. Maybe "extreme sports", but that's stretching it a bit.

Second of all, I don't really think "adventure" counts as a separate genre, it's more of a theme... if it was a genre, it'd be the broadest genre ever, as everything from Mario to Halo could be considered "adventure" games.

Anyways, RPGs usually involve stat building, random encounters, etc.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might try time hollow (I would classify it as rpg, due to you the main character playing a role) it was a very good point and click mystery that took place in and around a school. you might give it a look see, even though it does not have stat gains or random encounters
nyanya.gif

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Per-so-na. Oh wait, outside of Megaten. Lux-Pain for the DS is kinda boring, but its based in school. So, to a point, is Time Hollow.

Hachibei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
insane90 said:
Persona 4

Amazing. It is actually quite difficult even on easy, but it's a decent game

QUOTE(Hachibei @ Apr 27 2009, 12:48 PM) I guess it's sort of a niche genre, but can anyone suggest me one outside of the MegaTen universe (Persona included)? Preferably one in English as well xD

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, I'm now 12 hours into Lux-Pain, and if you can read beyond the awful translation (just listen to the VA, it's decent for the most part) is very school-centric. And is actually half-decent, although it has an odd game mechanic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay