Scene dev Zecoxao teases new $3 modchip for the OLED Nintendo Switch, involves a Raspberry Pi

asddasdsa.png

Scene developer Zecoxao might be known for their contributions to the PlayStation hacking world, but this time around, they've got something major for the Nintendo scene. The longtime scener teased the existence of what they claim to be a $3 modchip for the Nintendo Switch, and which is said to work with Mariko and OLED systems, though not patched Erista consoles. A teaser video was also uploaded, where the modchip itself was revealed to be a Raspberry Pi--specifically, a RP2040 Zero unit, soldered into the Switch board, demonstrating Hekate launching on an OLED unit.

Given the tease of "coming soon", we can expect to see more details about the exploit eventually.

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/notzecoxao/status/1602079473628856320

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/notzecoxao/status/1602199810358083587

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Achsually, the reason it's the same price is because microUSB connectors should be becoming ever so slightly more expensive due to being put into less products now, and USB-C connectors going down in price due to being mass-produced to meet demand.

In all seriousness though, I guess it only bothers me that it's USB-C now, because I have like nine microUSB cables, but only a single USB-C cable I bought for my GBxCart. Even for my RP2040-Zero, I use a microUSB to USB-C adapter, so I can plug it into my laptop :rofl2:

Basically everything I have is microUSB, so having to get more USB-C cables is just a hassle for me.
Most things I have are USB type C now, including my phone, GoPro, Gameboys, GBxCart RWs, my laptops, and Nintendo Switch. I think the only things I own with Micro USB on them is my DualShock 4 and my FiiO MP3 player. Micro USB just needs to go die in a hole and never come back. Worst peripheral connector ever since the DB25.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Most things I have are USB type C now, including my phone, GoPro, Gameboys, GBxCart RWs, my laptops, and Nintendo Switch. I think the only things I own with Micro USB on them is my DualShock 4 and my FiiO MP3 player. Micro USB just needs to go die in a hole and never come back. Worst peripheral connector ever since the DB25.
Standard microUSB isn't the worst thing ever imo. MicroUSB 3.0 on the other hand...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Standard microUSB isn't the worst thing ever imo. MicroUSB 3.0 on the other hand...
Oh yes, I hate that one too. I have a few harddrive enclosures with that shitty connector on it as well.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I wouldn't get my hopes up with this. The dev(s) will probably be approached very soon with threats or treats. Maybe some of both.

Nintendo will do anything to stop this.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't get my hopes up with this. The dev(s) will probably be approached very soon with threats or treats. Maybe some of both.

Nintendo will do anything to stop this.
That's part of why the (supposed) true developer behind this hasn't posted any information, or even revealed who they are to anyone outside of GBATemp staff. All the Nintendo Ninjas in the world won't be able to stop this modchip once it's released. Sending a C&D would be the same as cutting off a hydra head, once Nintendo shuts down one person providing resources, two more will pop up

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A teaser video was also uploaded, where the modchip itself was revealed to be a Raspberry Pi--specifically, a RP2040 Zero unit, soldered into the Switch board, demonstrating Hekate launching on an OLED unit.​
The video clearly shows it being installed in a switch lite.
Looks like they still use the CPU flex cable but only 1 solder point?

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Like I said, they're probably just trying to avoid a C&D. Leaks pose a huge threat in terms of this, so it's perfectly reasonable for wanting information regarding leaks to be removed
C&D letter? Kinda like how and why?
The leaked code itself cannot contain information about the First Name, Last Name, year of birth and social security number of code creator. It's just code. So zero chance for Nintendo do get anything here.
The fact that the hardware with the maybe code from maybe leak appeared on sale in Russia is also a ridiculous reason for anyone to receive scary letter from Nintendo. Also Nintendo in Russia now has zero-length arms. So zero chance for Nintendo do get anything here.
Theoretically, some person probably can receive scary letter from Nintendo if will yell loudly about "his new revolutionary modchips" on random Twitters and other trash-yards in search of big and fast fame and glory. But again, Nintendo will needs proofs to connect code, board and that some person in one case. Kinda something like public repository with real name and phone number linked. But this case will be of interest only to psychiatrists.

The only thing I can think of as a reason is that the project is not yet ready for mass sale. There is a fear that Nintendo will close the vulnerability. The money invested in stamping circuit boards will be lost. The epic story of the ascent to success will turn into a joke.

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
The leaked code itself cannot contain information about the First Name, Last Name, year of birth and social security number of code creator. It's just code. So zero chance for Nintendo do get anything here.
Code can contain comments with stuff like usernames. Also, if the code has associated git/svn metadata shit, the code will be tied to a username and email. One would want to keep as much information as possible hidden until it's ready, just as a precaution.
The only thing I can think of as a reason is that the project is not yet ready for mass sale.
That is literally the other stated reason that was mentioned on page 1 by linuxares.
There is a fear that Nintendo will close the vulnerability. The money invested in stamping circuit boards will be lost.
You have no idea how the Nintendo Switch hardware, or hardware development in general, works, do you?

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
People freaking out about a cease and desist from Nintendo, that's not going to happen, period.

The person is soldering a commercial single board computer on it's own device, and then appears hekate on screen. Absolutely nothing there is close to be illegal.

Hekate (and Atmosphere, for that matter), can't even do piracy by itself, so the most Nintendo can say now is that this mod voids the warranty.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt Nintendo would be able to shut down the project, this thing probably would end up like a trinket m0, where Nintendo can't do anything beside going after hard modders.

Reactions: ELY_M

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
People freaking out about a cease and desist from Nintendo, that's not going to happen, period.
Yeah it won't happen. Except for the multiple times in the past it did happen. Nintendo can and has gone after everything from modchips to simple flashcarts.
Hekate (and Atmosphere, for that matter), can't even do piracy by itself, so the most Nintendo can say now is that this mod voids the warranty.
Nintendo can still make the claim of it being a "circumvention device", the same claim they always make when going after products like these.
I doubt Nintendo would be able to shut down the project, this thing probably would end up like a trinket m0, where Nintendo can't do anything beside going after hard modders.
They definitely can before it's finished, but like I said earlier, all the Nintendo Ninjas in the world won't be able to stop it once it releases

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The video clearly shows it being installed in a switch lite.
Looks like they still use the CPU flex cable but only 1 solder point?
That pin is used to control the mosfet to pull down the soc voltage for glitching (ground connection is made on sp1 and sp2 capacitors). It's not really a $3 solution as you still need the soc ribbon cable.

1670850551428.png

So I see a total of 7 wires (should be dat0, rst, clk, cmd, vcc, gnd and the pin on soc ribbon cable to control mosfets), which is the same as @mathew77 mentioned in the other thread. Also it seems the voltage feedback pin on cpu ribbon is not connected, not sure if that will affect anything.

I just used up all my chips last week and was about to order more, glad I didn't miss this post.

Reactions: Dionicio3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed