Hacking Save Nintendo WiFi - A project to save online servers for Wii (and DS) games

Sixfortyfive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm way late to the party on this, but I want to help get the necessary data for Bleach Versus Crusade.

I have a Windows 7 laptop, Linksys WRT54G V8 wireless+wired router (no custom firmware), official Wii LAN adapter (if that would be more useful than wireless), and I'm using Riivolution to boot the game (as it's a Japanese import and I have an American Wii). I also already have the game ripped to my PC, as I've been working on translating it to English. I don't know anyone else who has the game, and online is pretty dead at this point, so I'm not sure if I can capture actual match data unless someone else here steps up to volunteer.

What's the fastest/easiest/recommended way to capture and submit what you guys need? Just a link to the relevant webpage with instructions would suffice (and a note on which section/method to use, if there's more than one); I can probably handle it from there. Apologies for not reading the manual already, I know, but I see there's more than a handful of different methods listed, I don't know what is and isn't out of date, and I'm going to be pretty busy with other priorities until the weekend, so I want to be able to hit the ground running when I can since there's only a week left to go before the shutdown.

makarios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean sites like this:
* http://www.inklineglobal.com/processdll/thirdparty-wit.html
If you read the page, there is no real warning about wit. Good pages always tells you the name of the infection. This is only an advertising for their own product. The site tries to make you insecure and hope, that you will buy the product. That's absolute suspect.

However, wit hasn't any GUI support (so can't popup) and also don't call any network function. You can verify the sources and compile the it by yourself.
No. Any site that tries to get me to download a virus product is already a red-flag to me.
The sites that I was referring to in my earlier post were sites like this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/wit.exe-18279.html

---
Anyway, I am not saying that I think it is a virus, I am just pointing out that other sites are thinking that it is, and this may discourage people from using it.

To business, I have added my friend-codes to the database, but I have not actually logged-in to the new servers using my Wii yet. Are there any specific games you would like to be tested?
Additionally, is there some way to patch the WiiShop downloaded games? Or are they doomed to die after the 20th of May?

~makarios~

HAARP-GE 007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
is there any updates on any other possible work for the other game's , i was just noticing the last batch of data packets i did for Goldeneye have not been uploaded onto the page yet, if anyone should ever need these captures i have a full copy of everything i have captured here , obviously this is the game that i am primarily asking about because as we all know as from next week we Goldeneye 007 players have no game to play and no natural succesor to move on to

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering the same thing about several games I had asked about (Conduit etc). I am trying to rig something up here so I can make packet logs since no one else seems able to (my router doesn't have the ability and I am trying something else). But so far no joy.

Thassalar

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I am particularly interested in Goldeneye too. But for work reasons I wasn't able to do any capturing lately. Since I always played alone I also couldn't capture any "friends-action" so far. So HAARP-GE 007 maybe we could share friend codes? That way I could capture some of that too.

Videomanman87 I could probably assist in setting up a transparent bridge to capture data in the way I described in an earlier post. As you can see there I got Conduit 2 too, so maybe (really just maybe) I can capture some traffic of that one too. There's not much time left and I'll probably spend it on Goldeneye.

HAARP-GE 007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am particularly interested in Goldeneye too. But for work reasons I wasn't able to do any capturing lately. Since I always played alone I also couldn't capture any "friends-action" so far. So HAARP-GE 007 maybe we could share friend codes? That way I could capture some of that too.

Videomanman87 I could probably assist in setting up a transparent bridge to capture data in the way I described in an earlier post. As you can see there I got Conduit 2 too, so maybe (really just maybe) I can capture some traffic of that one too. There's not much time left and I'll probably spend it on Goldeneye.
i Cannot really Help with the conduit game as I do not own it ...i am sorry about this , as for Goldeneye i have captured a good amount of data ...from creating a new profile ...adding friends, deleting friends, playing many games partied up and solo , all this can be seen under the save the wifi link on the first page of this thread ...scroll down and look under wii games, there you will find Goldeneye 007, under that link you will find all the data i have been capturing, some with video support links in the session logs ,i just hope i have done enough

makarios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it seems as though there are a few of us who are willing to help, but not much direction on how to proceed or what still needs to be done. Considering we only have three days left, I really would like to get as many games tested and working as possible. I posted my list of games on page 13. I could help with any of those, if someone would tell me what needs to be done... or is everything already up and running and I just don't know it?

~makarios~

HAARP-GE 007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So it seems as though there are a few of us who are willing to help, but not much direction on how to proceed or what still needs to be done. Considering we only have three days left, I really would like to get as many games tested and working as possible. I posted my list of games on page 13. I could help with any of those, if someone would tell me what needs to be done... or is everything already up and running and I just don't know it?

~makarios~
if you read this thread , on the very first page,in the very first post, there is a link to the server project http://save-nintendo-wifi.com , all that needs to be done , and instructions on how to do it using different methods , take a look again at page 1 of this thread , read the first post and you will see the link

Red Joker

GBATEMPer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hi guys, it seems that I'm way too late in the scene, lol. I have several silly questions about this, since I didn't follow it's progress.
1. Are there any counter measures against possible attacks/bricking from Nintendo?
2. So, to setup connections within a game, you need to collect data?
3. Is it possible to setup new servers after the WFC shutdown? Or will it take much effort?
4. So, the games that are able to connect are those games that are listed here?
5. Are there any ways for a newbie like me to help?

A dumb question, is it possible setup servers for DVD9 games (such as Samurai Warriors 3 and The Last Story)?

Sorry for the long question, and my lateness. :P

makarios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so, yes that's my bad for not reading the first post very well, can't argue with that.
Now I have that site bookmarked, and from looking at it, it appears that he doesn't have any data for the WiiShop download games, so I will begin work on those ASAP.

~makarios~

Home_Rowed

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay so, yes that's my bad for not reading the first post very well, can't argue with that.
Now I have that site bookmarked, and from looking at it, it appears that he doesn't have any data for the WiiShop download games, so I will begin work on those ASAP.

~makarios~
Other online functionality on Wii and Nintendo DS, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are not affected at this time.
~ http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/en_na/services-update.jsp ~

The Wii Shopping Channel will be fine, at least for the foreseeable future.
Downloads through games will be gone though.

I can't can't capture packets, but I'll play almost any game with someone who can, and needs gameplay packet data, or whatever.

makarios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii Shopping Channel will be fine, at least for the foreseeable future.
Downloads through games will be gone though.

I'm talking about online games purchased through the shop, such as Bomberman Blast and Tetris Party. I am capturing data for those games.

~makarios~

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I recall correctly SOME items such as free DLC though the games will be gone. But the Pay-to-play ones (addon packs that you pay for) will be ok. A Nintendo Rep mentioned some puzzle game, I forget the name, Professor something I think, to get the free puzzles for it before the 20th. Ah found it Professor Layton, a DS game.

By the way, as some of you know I have been looking for alternate methods of packet capture....I think I may have come across one (and someone mentioned the program here). It is called Wireshark http://www.wireshark.org/ and is open source. From what I can see it will do full packet capture of wireless as long as your desktop is wireless enabled. Mine is so i am going to give it a shot. But anyone that is network aware and without a proper router that can do packet captures, give this a try. The tutorials on it look good, and I will give it try later today.

@ julialy Umm patch to use backup copies? To which patch do you refer?

@ Thassalar
Yes I saw from your previous post you have Conduit 2. It looks like we are the only two here with it. Not sure if the bridge is needed as Wireshark might do the job for us. I will test today and see. And if that be the case I think you could do captures for it as well. In this case probably the more the better. Although it seems that a LOT of captures have been done for Goldeneye. I think that game can/will be saved. But not so sure about Conduit or say Animal Crossing. Someone did get captures of The Last Story, which is great, lately when I have been in there no one as been on. :/ I think we still need captures for Endless Ocean and Endless Ocean 2 (among others). Hopefully we can get captures for those as well.http://gbatemp.net/members/thassalar.348127/

Red Joker

GBATEMPer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
@Videomanman87 : I have Conduit 2. But I don't know how to use data capture. ._.

Out of curiosity, other than the ones listed from this site, are there any other games that have been captured?
Is there anything that I can do to help? Atm I can only connect my Wii (not my DS Lite) to the internet, since my router uses WPA. Here are my games that are WFC enabled :
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Rings of Fates
- Monster Hunter Tri (Yeah, the servers had already been shut down long ago, and nigh impossible to setup a custom one)
- Conduit 2
- Goldeneye 007
- Mario Kart Wii
- Samurai Warriors 3
- Sin and Punishment : Star Successor
- Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
- Naruto Shippuden Clash of Ninja Revolution 3
- Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing
- Bleach Versus Crusade

For WiiWares I have :
- WarioWare D.I.Y. Showcase
- Dr. Mario Online RX

Maybe I can help with Samurai Warriors 3 and Conduit 2, if there are tutorials for data capturing.
The problem is I live in Asia, my lagging level will be high. Btw, can wbfs backups capture data as well?

makarios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also going to try and capture data from CueSports: Pool Revolution, but it's very hard to find people playing it (which is a shame because it's a really nice billiards game), but I should atleast get something from it.

~makarios~

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I have been playing around with wireshark and I think I have all the info:

First get a copy of wireshark at http://www.wireshark.org/ and install it.

Next connect to your network with ONLY your wireless adapter. If you have cat 5 (cabled) connection as well, disable it in your windows settings first (control panel/network/manage network connections). Some say it is not necessary, but this way you can see more of what is going on and it simplifies what you are trying to do. If you have another OS, I am sure you can do the same but I don't know the settings for the various OS's. Once you are connected to your Wifi network.

Start up wireshark.

In wireshark set up the right hardware network interface under edit/prefernces. Usually one will be bluetooth and one will be your normal WIFI connection. You might also see your cat 5/wired adapter/connection as well. Just be sure to to get the right wireless one. If unsure click capture/interfaces should tell you in the popup window by traffic, if still not sure click the details button on the far right and it will say which interface is what near the top.

You might need to start the driver if need be (wireshark complains about the service not running) open cmd (be sure to
run it as admin (right click run as admin) then enter:

sc qc npf.
it will tell you if it is running or not, among other details

to run it:
sc start npf

and to start it automatically:
sc config npf start=auto

to stop it:
sc stop npf

This is all under windows of course. Commands on other OS's may vary.

Next you may need to turn on Monitor mode, try promiscious mode first (capture menu -> options check enable promiscious mode on all interfaces) some cards will work well enough with this. If not then enable Monitor mode. This will allow you to capture any packets flying through the air. Click capture->options and click on the interface you are using and put a check in the box for monitor mode. If you don't have one, try Acrylic WiFi this should give you a new interface that you can enable monitor mode with. If you still don't have that option, you may have to get a different Wifi adapter.

I originally said to use the capture filters but I think they are more problematic and I think it is better to capture all right now. Then filter out everything but the Wii traffic later before submitting. If you make a mistake on the filter later on, you can always refilter it again later. ;)

Also if your network is encrypted (as most are) you need to give wireshark the keys. The details are here. But in a nutshell go to Edit->Preferences->IEEE 802.11. You will see a lot of protocols, look for IEEE 802.11 click on it then on the right check "encryption" then click "edit keys" and put in your password/keys there. Click apply on the keys window, then apply on the prefernces window then you can close them.

Now start the capture via capture menu at the top then start. You should only see a LOT of packet info scrolling in.

Now go and do something on the wii. Perhaps fire up the internet channel and go to a website. Then go back, stop the capture (via capture menu) and under analyze menu pick display filters and pick "IP address 192.168.0.1" but change the address to your Wii's address. If you have a lot of traffic from others with the same IP you might try filtering just the Wii's MAC/Ethernet address (looks something like this 10:38:25:01:06:15 and you can find it in your router's status where it shows all connected devices usually under a LAN tab, same spot as your Wii's IP address). At this point you are making sure you do indeed have data from the Wii. If you do then hard part is done.

Now go to the Wii and do the tests (start the game, connect to multiplayer, get a friend code, add friends, remove friends, mute someone if you have that option, connect to a game, play a round, disconnect from multiplayer etc). After you have done one game. Stop the capture and SAVE it (file menu the save as it will use wireshark default format unless you select something else)). I am not sure what format is preferred here, so you might want to do it in several formats. But be sure to use wireshark's native format. I know it can load and save to other formats later if need be.

Next start it again and do another game.

I am by no means a expert, so perhaps I missed something, but I think everything is here and anyone with a wifi enabled windows (or mac, or linux) machine can do. No special hardware required (by the looks anyway, as I said I NOT a
expert so if I missed something by all means correct me).

UPDATE:
I forgot to mention you need to be in monitor mode or you will only see your current machine's traffic. I have updated this to reflect that. Also some wifi cards don't like the Wireshark windows driver and won't let you go into monitor mode. If this is the case, then try Acrylic WIFI. Acrylic WiFi installs drivers that Wireshark can use. Go here and download the drivers, install them. Then start Wireshark as administrator (very important in this case) select the Acrylic WIFI NDIS interface that was added. You should be able to get all the packets in the area. Just remember to filter down to just your Wii :) Or if you are concerned grab a full dump and do the filtering later before submitting it.

Oh one other thing I forgot to mention, if your network is encrypted you need to decrypt it. Wireshark can do this but you need to set up the passwords in the preferences. The details are here
I have also updated this post regarding it as well.

If all else fails you can try Microsoft's Network Monitor http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865 there is a simple tutorial at here but I have my doubts that if wireshark won't work it is likely your WiFi adapter. Although I have read some saying the Microsoft Network Monitor did work when others didn't. So worth a try. And that video is talks about a USB Wifi adapter he bought for $40. But it may not be necessary as some built in adapters do work. Of course if one wants/needs to buy a adapter, I would go with getting one known to work well with Wireshark instead. ;)

makarios

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@makarios
Is that for the Wii? Sounds cool, I wondered if there was a good pool game on the wii.
Yes, it is for the Wii and in my opinion is the best pool/billiards game I have played on the Wii.
It's a download from the WiiShop.
If you get it we could play together and I can capture the packets, it would be a win-win, all the way around. B-)

~makarios~

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I wanna wear a skirt