Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with using SimpleModManager or swapping manually the .cue is it will overwrite the savefile for your game each time :P
Let me guess... you didn't bother to check your theory?

I'm doing it here and all saves reside in the same file. Just like multiple saves can be on one memory card. No idea about the long term implications of that.

T&E SOFT golf game testing

• There can be some stray audio notes when the game starts
  • Loading can be slow
  • If player animations are slow then recombine your cue/bin
  • If it hangs after pressing start at main menu (Jun Classic) set BlockClock=200 in the .ini
Games:
  • Waialae no Kiseki - Extra 36 Holes: plays just fine
  • Masters Harukanaru Augusta 3: plays just fine
  • Pebble Beach Golf Links: plays just fine
  • Hyper Golf - Devil's Course: plays just fine
  • Jun Classic CC & Rope Club: plays just fine
These are all Japanese games and I've not tried any config changes.

Last edited by matt!,

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Let me guess... you didn't bother to check your theory?
No need since save states are tied to TID it will overwritte save states every time you launch a new game (unless you use the 3 in 1 game), native saves are a different story.

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So no, redirecting doesn't change TitleID, for that you need to change "control.nacp" and "main.npdm" files. For now the only way that I know to change TitleID is to reconstruct the NSP, via my script for example. Maybe this is possible to redirect these files but I don't know how, for the "main.npdm" with the creation of a "exefs" folder and puting the file in it should do the trick but for "control.nacp" I don't know how to do.
I'm not against reconstructing an NSP to have a separate TID, I've extracted assets from NSPs before but never been able to successfully reconstruct one.
I'm a bit confused on the megascript and how to use it. Is there a video or written guide?

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm not against reconstructing an NSP to have a separate TID, I've extracted assets from NSPs before but never been able to successfully reconstruct one.
I'm a bit confused on the megascript and how to use it. Is there a video or written guide?
Doing a tutorial with my script for now isn't a good thing cause it may change with futur discoverings on the process. So everything is explained during the script, the most "difficult" part is the dump of the title.keys and prod.keys.

Reactions: Thorhax

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
A few games that require lower BlockClock (250-350 should be fine) to boot: Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Fighter Kids and Vandal Hearts (English translation/hack). No other parameters required, all seem to be compatible with CDBlockNoWait (uncapped loading speeds).

Croc JPN does not have, indeed, the EU/US problem, it can past fine the orange door of the death. But, for some reason, performance crawls compared to the other regions, even with overclocking.

Reactions: kof_k

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
emu 101
save states =/= native saves
That's why you need to be more specific. You said:
it will overwrite the savefile
Which is either wrong (the save file is not overwritten) or inaccurate (depending on whether you mean native save or save state). Next time, please be clearer. Especially when trying to dunk on somebody.

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What about multi disc games like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Policenauts? Do we have to load each disc separately?
i see some of us has his own openions on how to use the games and saves, here are my untested 2 cents

if someone has the time and knows how to use the script, you can try this
you will have to finish Disc 1 and save your game and try this method
for multi CD games: Build a Panzer Dragoon Saga NSP and create 4 injected NSP with the Same Title ID and Build ID
just rename the Title and Add DIsc 1,2,3,4 example:
Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 1 TID 0100PDS00DDSC000
Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 2 TID 0100PDS00DDSC000
Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 3 TID 0100PDS00DDSC000
Panzer Dragoon Saga Disc 4 TID 0100PDS00DDSC000

install NSP Disc 1, finish it, save your Game Delete NSP!
Install NSP Disc 2 Load up your last game save, continue play on Disc 2 using the same Game Save!

you can skipp everything i said and just replace the .bin and .cue inside your romFS

my Method is for injecting the game into the NSP as a final solution if we didnt find a better way to make multi CD works

on Sega Saturn Hardware, with HDD or SD card save load manager, you can choose the discs and replce, we dont have that homebrew working on the Zebra Engine emulator

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
That's why you need to be more specific. You said:

Which is either wrong (the save file is not overwritten) or inaccurate (depending on whether you mean native save or save state). Next time, please be clearer. Especially when trying to dunk on somebody.
save states and native saves are both savefiles, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
maybe you should ask before making snark comments like "let me guess you didn't try your theory", even more when you don't know the difference between save state and native save.

Reactions: Hleb and ZER-O

xYuunax

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
For those interested in managing the savedata (copy/delete), Worldwide Soccer includes a backup utility:

00003209.jpg

I tried the savedata homebrew mentioned in a previous post by Yyoossk, unfortunately copying saves doesn't work, only delete. So Worldwide Soccer's backup utility is an alternative.

EDIT: Check below, Sega Saturn FDD Operator disc works.

Last edited by xYuunax,

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Running an emulator in an emulator. I'm sure that controls well
you have no idea what the save manager does, ignore the part that plays emulators
it plays back up Iso from SD or HDD and a save manager beside playing emulators like MSX1 which needs 3,58 MH CPU speed to run....

bahgee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i made a template and remade the entire Design from scratch, i can drop an image in Photoshop an shuffle all the style i created
ill share a sample of what i am doing in HD first
View attachment 279461View attachment 279462View attachment 279463View attachment 279464View attachment 279465View attachment 279466View attachment 279467View attachment 279468
View attachment 279458View attachment 279460View attachment 279459
and i made an intro logo to replace Success/zebra engine by going directly to PlayerGuide Controller screen and replace it with the new image
ill share the .Tex file later or just rename the pictures and add the header before %PNG and rename to .Tex
View attachment 279469View attachment 279470View attachment 279471

if anyone is serious and knows how to compile Cotton2 and removes all cotto2 reference and can compile the new NSP with my Assets send me a PM or join my Discord an i will share more assets

now i go research how to do what i just said, unless someone wanted to share that info with me

I would love to try these out! They look great. Have the .tex files been shared?

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would love to try these out! They look great. Have the .tex files been shared?
which one you want
Saturn logo or the JoyCon or the Saturn Nights controller+Pro Controller
they all share the same Tex file i made these but you can only place one of them in your game

i found a method to add all images and brows on game, i didn't make it yet

Last edited by ZER-O,
Reactions: bahgee

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If you can i'd like to test those black wallpaper images on saturn logo and controllers. So the last three images. If they are in .tex file. I have been unable to create it myself.

bahgee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
which one you want
Saturn logo or the JoyCon or the Saturn Nights controller+Pro Controller
they all share the same Tex file

i found a method to add all images and brows on game, i didnt make it yet
oh wow, that's great you were able to get them all to work in game. I'll take the Saturn logo tex file for now. Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...