Gaming Sata 3 device in Sata 3 port using sata 2?

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, with my new pc that I've built, I have a 120GB SSD plugged into my Sata 3 6Gb/s port but it only uses Sata 2 3Gb/s speed...
The other Sata ports are all Sata 2 and I'm lost.

In the BIOS, it is set to allow SATA 3 and 6Gb/s speeds... So any ideas guys?

Also I have verified that the device IS plugged into the Sata 3 port...

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I switched the SATA cable to a SATA 3 cable... But it's still running using SATA 2, I've read online it has something to do with Nvida, which I am using a GTX 580 with Nvida drivers... Can anyone confirm this?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it has something to do with an nVidia chipset on your motherboard that has nothing to do with the graphics? I don't know what mobo you have.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe it has something to do with an nVidia chipset on your motherboard that has nothing to do with the graphics? I don't know what mobo you have.
Specs:
Operating System:
MS Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit SP1
CPU:
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz
RAM:
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (I shoulda chose better RAM)
Motherboard:
Intel Corporation DP67BA (LGA1155) P67 Chipset
Graphics:
1536MB GeForce GTX 580 (Gigabyte)
Hard Drives:
977GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 ATA Device (SATA)
977GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 ATA Device (SATA)
117GB Corsair Force GT ATA Device (SATA)
Audio:
Realtek High Definition Audio

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've never seen DDR3 RAM with less than 1333Mhz. And I thought DDR2 RAM went at 665Mhz to 800Mhz.
Gahh, I f**ked up, the program I used mentions the RAM as undoubled...
DDR=Double Data Rate
So it's supposed to be doubled but the program I used to quickly copy my specs didn't double it. End result 1330Mhz

Anyway, any ideas as to why my SSD isn't running how I want it to?

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
is your ssd connected on the black or blue connector?
same question for your hdd.
is your raid controller running in ahci mode, did you setup a raid configuration?
did you install the chipset drivers that came with the mobo or from intel's website?
did you update your bios and ssd firmware?

Reactions: 1 person

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, as this is regarding SSD, did you look into whether or not the SSD firmware has any updates available? Many people who purchased the same SSD I bought (ADATA) reported having to update it; I didn't because I had a good motherboard.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
is your ssd connected on the black or blue connector?
same question for your hdd.
is your raid controller running in ahci mode, did you setup a raid configuration?
did you install the chipset drivers that came with the mobo or from intel's website?
did you update your bios and ssd firmware?
1. Blue, I have 2 SATA 3 ports.
2.I have 2 HDDS, one is in a black (SATA 2) port and one is in a SATA 3 port.
3. Yeah it's running in AHCI, nope, didn't set up a raid config.
4. Installed Chipset drivers from Intel.
5.Updated BIOS but didn't even look into updating the SSD.(Will do now)
Also, as this is regarding SSD, did you look into whether or not the SSD firmware has any updates available? Many people who purchased the same SSD I bought (ADATA) reported having to update it; I didn't because I had a good motherboard.
Answer above in question 5.
edit:
It is still showing up as SATA 2

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may not be limited to SATA III speeds then. A SATA III SSD performs about 450-550 write and reads, Sata III performs about 225-250 on a SATA II port given that the SSD is fully functional. Of course switching to Sata III will give the speed increase but the only logical explanation I can see from 150-200 is that the SSD may be defective. It may be running on Sata III bandwidth just the drive is not performing the best it should be (I know the GT series should be around 500-550 on average).

Of course, I haven't used an SSD before so my word should be taken very lightly.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It may not be limited to SATA III speeds then. A SATA III SSD performs about 450-550 write and reads, Sata III performs about 225-250 on a SATA II port given that the SSD is fully functional. Of course switching to Sata III will give the speed increase but the only logical explanation I can see from 150-200 is that the SSD may be defective. It may be running on Sata III bandwidth just the drive is not performing the best it should be (I know the GT series should be around 500-550 on average).

Of course, I haven't used an SSD before so my word should be taken very lightly.
When I benchmark the SSD, it does get to 6Gb/s, meaning the device is working as should be but for some reason I can't get those speeds when using it.
the quickest way to get an answer then would be to open a support ticket at intel or corsair.
http://www.intel.com...m?group=desktop
http://www.corsair.c...chnicalsupport/

PS: did you do a "reset bios settings to default" once you updated your bios?
No, was I meant to?
Also going through Corsair support leads me to an RMA page :\ I Don't want to RMA... As I said to to Zetta, the benchmark results come back all good.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I benchmark the SSD, it does get to 6Gb/s, meaning the device is working as should be but for some reason I can't get those speeds when using it.

What are you doing that is performing below your expectations? What type of monitor are you using to see whether or not the bandwidth is below benchmark?
What is WEI for your storage performance (if you can make it test the SSD only)?

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
PS: did you do a "reset bios settings to default" once you updated your bios?
No, was I meant to?
It's generally considered good practice to do so and it solved a few problems when I was repairing computers, though usually it isn't supposed to be necessary.

the quickest way to get an answer then would be to open a support ticket at intel or corsair.
http://www.intel.com...m?group=desktop
http://www.corsair.c...chnicalsupport/
Also going through Corsair support leads me to an RMA page :\ I Don't want to RMA... As I said to to Zetta, the benchmark results come back all good.
at least, intel give you live chat and a phone line.
corsair's toll free number:+1 888-222-4346

are the results you're getting similar to those?
http://www.tomshardw...ate,3103-3.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill